Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McShay new mock draft -- 2/2

Skinsinparadise

Detroit will not hold onto the first pick and if they somehow do, it'll have to be a safe pick, not a QB who is not "all-that". They got burned with 2 of their 3 WR picks and as the first team to go 0-16, they can't afford to blow the 1st pick. In fact, I don't see either Stafford or Sanchez going top 10, and they could well pull an Aaron Rodgers.

Orakpo is the kind of "workout warrior" type whose stock will rise after the combine. Not to say that he isn't a good player, but after the combine he will be a lock to go top 10.

Which will be good for us as its pushes someone from the top-10 down.

As for Orakpo, you know I think he could be good. He reminds me of a quicker Mathias Kiwanuka and if he can legitamitely play SLB, then I'm down for it.

Detroit will not hold onto the first pick and if they somehow do, it'll have to be a safe pick, not a QB who is not "all-that". They got burned with 2 of their 3 WR picks and as the first team to go 0-16, they can't afford to blow the 1st pick. In fact, I don't see either Stafford or Sanchez going top 10, and they could well pull an Aaron Rodgers.

There is no way Stafford doesn't go in the top 5

Jason Reid on Comcast Sportsnet Tuesday night declared that the Skins are leaning heavily to trading down and out of the first round for more picks.

According to him, Snyder and Vinny want to spend as little as possible on free agents this offseason and focus more on getting more in the draft.

So many of these mocks may be for moot.....

I think you are dead on ... we need a pocket collapsing DT.

So why did we generate a pass rush from Andre Carter last season, then?

There was ONE piece missing on our DLine this season. Is it necessary we draft a DT high? I don't know, but I know the guy missing wasn't a DT :)

Jason Reid on Comcast Sportsnet Tuesday night declared that the Skins are leaning heavily to trading down and out of the first round for more picks.

According to him, Snyder and Vinny want to spend as little as possible on free agents this offseason and focus more on getting more in the draft.

In other words, "We have no cap space because of years of bad decisions". :(

In other words, "We have no cap space because of years of bad decisions". :(

Actually, Jason Reid also mentioned that the Skins would begin cutting/trimming the roster on Monday Feb 9th. With this, they will be satisfactorily under the cap.

We've always passed on tweener DEs (3-4 OLBs) because they don't fit our system, but suddenly that is going to change? We have speed guys on the edges, they simply weren't getting to the QB as often because they had no help in the middle. There was little to no pocket collapse, and QBs were able to step up in the pocket a lot against us this past season. Our roster already has a bunch of DEs on it, but we have 2 DTs who will go to FA unless we re-sign them. I sooner see us landing DT Perry or LBer Mauluga if either is there, before we ever take a tweener. In all likelihood though we will trade down, so I'd keep my eye on the bottom 10 of the first round and see who is projected to go there.

So why did we generate a pass rush from Andre Carter last season, then?

There was ONE piece missing on our DLine this season. Is it necessary we draft a DT high? I don't know, but I know the guy missing wasn't a DT :)

I would say that the DT play this past year regressed from the year before. I'm not gonna attribute it to one player per se, but I also think that Daniels held his own on the other side of the field as well.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfceast/0...t-No--13-.html

Click link for entire article

Who will the Redskins pick at No. 13?

February 3, 2009

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

In Todd McShay's latest mock, the Redskins are still taking Texas defensive end Brian Orakpo. Tough to go wrong here. I've seen the guy in play in person at least four times in college. He's an excellent pass-rusher and he's becoming much better against the run.

He could start immediately for the Redskins. And that's what they'll need him to do. I know that Vinny Cerrato would love for offensive tackle Eugene Monroe (Virginia) to slip to No. 13, but it's not happening.

Orakpo really didn't do anything in the championship game' date=' if he couldn't shine in the biggest game of his life on the college level where does that leave him on the pro level?[/quote']I sorta agree. I personally think that there will be a lot of busts at the top of this draft. Hopefully I'm wrong and the sinz dont end up with one. And I dont believe OT is the biggest need. I think the front 7 on D is a bigger need and can the redskins please get somebody to produce at WR other than Moss!!

Kiper was asked last week on the radio, what position should the Skins pick and what have they not been doing right in the draft over the years. His answer was the same for both questions: they need to pick a pass rusher and their failure is not drafting one. He went on to say that he thought the elite atttactive OL will be gone by the 13th.

Kiper was asked last week on the radio, what position should the Skins pick and what have they not been doing right in the draft over the years. His answer was the same for both questions: they need to pick a pass rusher and their failure is not drafting one. He went on to say that he thought the elite atttactive OL will be gone by the 13th.

Yeah I was listening to that. I think he's right, I think the elite OTs will be gone by the 13th pick, if not I wouldn't mind seeing us take one of them but seriously, look at the teams that made it deep this year: Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Tennessee, Philly, these are all teams that have a solid pass rush, even Arizona turned on the pass rush once postseason hit.

You want to protect your QB and attack the other team's QB. As long as we address at least one of those things with our #13 overall I will be fine with it.

I sorta agree. I personally think that there will be a lot of busts at the top of this draft. Hopefully I'm wrong and the sinz dont end up with one. And I dont believe OT is the biggest need. I think the front 7 on D is a bigger need and can the redskins please get somebody to produce at WR other than Moss!!

The WR dice was cast last year - we have to hope one or both of Kelly or Thomas find their feet and can nail down the starting spot next to Moss and give us production.

For better or worse we are set at the skill positions on offense - we now need to patch up the O Line so we can see if the toys we have work. Finding a starter at RT who is better in pass protection than Jansen and better at run blocking than Heyer is essential. We also have to find a replacment for Kendal who was solid last year but is right at the end of his rope - maybe Reinbach can step up.

Your right about the front 7. I would say we need a one gap type DT who can make plays on the other side of the line of scrimmage and get some pass rush as well. Washington is probably finished as a Redskin unless he takes a big pay cut and plays as a role player but anyway we need to find a new starter at SLB.

Thats at leats 3 holes to fill and only one pick in the first two rounds so the best option is probably trading down. If we have to stick at #13 as most people have been saying we go BPA who is a DT, OT and LB.

Looking at mocks (for what that is worth) it looks like th ebest 4 tackles will be gone by the time we get to #13 and a couple of stud DTs will be picked as well so it might be that the best value is at linebacker.

I would say that the DT play this past year regressed from the year before. I'm not gonna attribute it to one player per se, but I also think that Daniels held his own on the other side of the field as well.

Not saying I disagree entirely about the DT play, but, what's your reasoning behind saying that?

DT Cornelius Griffin

2008:

27 Total Tackles

1 Sack

2007:

42 Total Tackles

2 Sacks

Advantage: 2007

DT Anthony Montgomery

2008:

23 Total Tackles

2 Sacks

2007:

42 Total Tackles

0 Sacks

Advantage: 2008

DT Kedric Golston

2008:

28 Total Tackles

2 Sacks

2007:

11 Total Tackles

1 Sack

DE Andre Carter

2008:

37 Total Tackles

4 Sacks

2007:

55 Total Tackles

10 Sacks

4 Fumbles

Advantage: 2007

DE Demetric Evans

2008:

33 Total Tackles

4 Sacks

2007:

25 Total Tackles

1 Sack

1 Fumble

Comparing these two next to each other, seeing how Taylor was Daniels replacement:

DE Phillip Daniels

2008:

N/A

2007:

37 Total Tackles

2 Sacks

4 Fumbles

DE Jason Taylor

2008:

29 Total Tackles

4 Sacks

1 Fumble

2007:

N/A

Advantage: Phillip Daniels 2007

And that's not talking about the intagibles that Daniels brings to the line. He batted tons of balls and forced QBs into Andre Carter's pass rush. :)

Archived