Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McShay new mock draft -- 2/2

Skinsinparadise

if you click the link you get the full drill including the 2nd round.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/insider/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3878507

The college all-star games have come and gone, and NFL prospects and teams are looking toward the upcoming combine. Individual workouts and combine showings will certainly affect the stock of many top prospects over the next few weeks, but enough questions have been answered for Scouts Inc. to present its first two-round mock draft of 2009. Here's how we see things shaking down at this point:

1. Detroit Lions (Record: 0-16): Matthew Stafford*, QB, Georgia

Yes, his inconsistency can be frustrating. His footwork needs polishing, and he must learn to take some heat off his fastball when throwing underneath. But after studying the game tape of the entire 2009 quarterback class, it's clear to us that Stafford is the top dog. His combination of accuracy, arm strength, surprising mobility and experience in a pro-style offense (in the SEC) is second to none.

Here's the catch-22 for the Lions, though: While they need a franchise quarterback and there isn't enough depth in this year's class to feel good about the chances of finding one 19 picks later, Stafford does not grade out as highly as Matt Ryan did a year ago, and eight of the past 11 underclassmen quarterbacks drafted in the first round have either failed to meet expectations or have been outright busts. This is the type of franchise-defining decision that could make or break the career of new general manager Martin Mayhew.

2. St. Louis Rams (2-14): Jason Smith, OT, Baylor

The Rams desperately need to upgrade their offensive front, and Jason Smith, Andre Smith and Eugene Monroe will all be in the discussion. Don't be surprised if the senior from Baylor wins out on potential. He is a converted tight end and has the best feet of the group.

3. Kansas City Chiefs (2-14): Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest

Tyler Thigpen might not be the long-term answer at quarterback for the Chiefs, but it's hard to imagine new GM Scott Pioli veering from the "Patriot way" he learned during his time in New England. Drafting a defensive lineman like DE Everette Brown or DT B.J. Raji is a possibility, and beefing up the offensive line isn't out of the question, either. But the Chiefs spent a pair of first-round picks on those spots last year, and Pioli hit a home run with the first-round pick of linebacker Jerod Mayo in New England last season. Plus, Curry has the versatility Pioli looks for, and he fits an area of need.

4. Seattle Seahawks (4-12): B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College

Michael Crabtree appears to be the obvious selection for a Seahawks team in desperate need of a playmaker at wide receiver, but Raji's stock is soaring after his dominant showing at the Senior Bowl, and a top priority for the Seahawks this offseason is to find a difference-maker at defensive tackle.

5. Cleveland Browns (4-12): Everette Brown*, DE, Florida State

Brown's pass-rushing skills would be a welcome addition to a Cleveland defense that notched only 17 sacks in 2008.

6. Cincinnati Bengals (4-11-1): Andre Smith*, OT, Alabama

The Bengals need to solidify their offensive line. RT Stacy Andrews took a step backward before his knee injury, and Smith is a good fit to step in immediately as a starter on the right side.

7. Oakland Raiders (5-11): Michael Crabtree**, WR, Texas Tech

Crabtree has Larry Fitzgerald-type potential. Though his 40-yard dash time might not excite owner Al Davis, even Davis is capable of recognizing the opportunity to select the best athlete in the draft at No. 7.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars (5-11): Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia

WR/RS Jeremy Maclin's speed and game-breaking skills would be enticing here. However, the Jags need to find an upgrade over Khalif Barnes at left tackle, and Monroe has the feet and pass-blocking skills to eventually provide that.

9. Green Bay Packers (6-10): Malcolm Jenkins, DB, Ohio State

The Packers' secondary is aging. Jenkins isn't an ideal fit from a man-to-man cover corner perspective, but his versatility and playmaking skills make him the most complete defensive back in the 2009 class.

10. San Francisco 49ers (7-9): Jeremy Maclin**, WR/RS, Missouri

QB Mark Sanchez will be in the discussion, but can the 49ers afford to spend another high first-round pick on a quarterback who has only 16 collegiate starts under his belt? That's just not good business. Assuming they go in a different direction, Maclin would be high on the list because he's one of only a few individuals in this year's draft capable of providing the home-run-hitting ability the Niners lack on the perimeter.

11. Buffalo Bills (7-9): Aaron Maybin**, DE/OLB, Penn State

TE Brandon Pettigrew is an obvious possibility, but the Bills are looking to improve the edges of their defensive front, and Maybin's upside as a pass-rusher is huge. In the Bills' 4-3 defense Maybin would fit best at SAM linebacker, but could also serve as a situational edge rusher, help that DEs Chris Kelsay and Aaron Schobel need.

12. Denver Broncos (8-8): Rey Maualuga, ILB, USC

The Broncos need to beef up their run defense after finishing 30th in the NFL in 2007 and 27th in 2008. Maualuga plays out of control at times, but there isn't a linebacker in the 2009 class with a better size-speed combo, and he loves setting the tone physically.

13. Washington Redskins (8-8): Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Texas

The Redskins could use this pick on an offensive lineman if the right one falls this far, but in this scenario Orakpo makes the most sense because he can provide some youth at either defensive end or outside linebacker. Most importantly, he has the burst and athleticism to make an immediate impact rushing the passer, which is critical in the NFC East.

No way Brian Orakpo leaves the top 10. Some mock drafts have him going #3 to Kansas City.

I've seen mocks have a guy in the top 10 only to see him drop into the third round by draft day. I'm not knocking Orakpo but IMO anything other than a long-term starting OT or a dominant DT for the Skins is a disaster given the current state of the team. If all of the top 4 OTs and Raji (assuming he stays ranked this highly) are gone then I'd by happy if the Skins could trade down instead of picking Orakpo. Get the next best OT in the first round and use the extra picks for other needs.

just another opinion about something that doesn't hold any weight but serves to keep his name in the funny pages during the down season and is sure to get some people, with even less to do, all frothed up

kind of like power rankings before the draft and free agency.......

I've seen mocks have a guy in the top 10 only to see him drop into the third round by draft day. I'm not knocking Orakpo but IMO anything other than a long-term starting OT or a dominant DT for the Skins is a disaster given the current state of the team. If all of the top 4 OTs and Raji (assuming he stays ranked this highly) are gone then I'd by happy if the Skins could trade down instead of picking Orakpo. Get the next best OT in the first round and use the extra picks for other needs.
Agree completely.

DT and OT are much bigger concerns sitting at the #13 spot.

Orakpo would play where for us exactly? He's only about 260-265, at his weight he's best suited to play right end, which is where we have Carter already. If he was 20 pounds heavier and could play left end, great. But that's not the case.

DE still isn't that big a concern for us either I don't think. Even if we let Taylor go, I believe in Carter and Evans to get the job done if they're given some serious DT help (paging Raji or Peria Jerry).

just another opinion about something that doesn't hold any weight but serves to keep his name in the funny pages during the down season and is sure to get some people, with even less to do, all frothed up

kind of like power rankings before the draft and free agency.......

what's that supposed to mean? i'd like to see your mock draft then and we'll see if your's is any better. of course this is all opinion at this point, but most of the time they are pretty close. plus it is early so his mock could change 10 times before the actual draft. so just take it as it is. if you have no opinion to offer then don't say anything.

just another opinion about something that doesn't hold any weight but serves to keep his name in the funny pages during the down season

I respectfully disagree. I love the politics leading up to the draft, how players move their stock up and down. I think it's fascinating to a lot of fans...

Besides, we NEED something to read and talk about. Or we tend to go nuts in the offseason.

I think some speedy guys will impress at the combine, and one of those big OTs will fall to us. I doubt Orakpo is commin to DC.

:2cents:

DT and OT are much bigger concerns sitting at the #13 spot.

If the team keeps the pick (I think they should try to trade down for the right deal), pick the best player available. I'd love to get Raji here, but I really doubt he'll be around. Ditto Curry. Orakpo would be a tremendous upgrade at DE (I still see him there as opposed to OLB) and bring speed on the edge, which helps the entire D. I'd be just fine with this pick.

I think the OTs we might want at #13 won't be available and I do not believe in picking an OT at #13 just to pick an OT. That's senseless. Very good O-linemen can be drafted later.

i don't mind that pick at all. as long as we draft an ol, dl, or lb i will be happy. if its not one of those three positions, then i will lose faith in vinny and this team. everyone knows what we need, let's just hope vinny does too...

This is where I am as well...To me as long as we address one of those three areas with our first pick I don't have a problem with it at all...Orakpo is able to play DE or OLB, so I will definitely be watching how he looks in the coverage, and agility drills at the combine...With his power, speed, athleticism, and physicality he would wreak havoc for us at SLB being 260-265(kinda like Chris Gocong for the Eagles a converted college DE who is now a SLB)...

I really don't buy into the fact that guys like orakpo and everette brown can't play DE in the pros, while I haven't seen enough of "O' sack' po", being a florida state fan, I beleive that brown can play on the line, and stop the run...he will gain at least 10 lbs before he steps on the field, and he is a gamer who is relentless.

*edit: while I think these guys will be able to stop the run, I do not think the same about

some others like Michael Johnson, Orakpo and Brown are very good leverage players.

i don't mind that pick at all. as long as we draft an ol, dl, or lb i will be happy. if its not one of those three positions, then i will lose faith in vinny and this team. everyone knows what we need, let's just hope vinny does too...

The Skins do have needs at those positions but however I think at 13 they should take the best available player. I mean for instance don't just select a O-lineman at 13 just because they need an O-lineman when he's not rated or worth the 13th pick.

The Skins do have needs at those positions but however I think at 13 they should take the best available player. I mean for instance don't just select a O-lineman at 13 just because they need an O-lineman when he's not rated or worth the 13th pick.

i agree with that too. i think o-line is our biggest need, however if the top o-linemen are gone at #13 and we can't make a trade, we shouldn't just pick an o-linemen because thats what we need. there are a few positions that we need so if we can address any one of those 3 in the first round i will be happy. just don't go reaching for a pick!

Agreed...just because we have need at OL does not mean we must pick there in the 1st, we could nab a great center or guard in the 3rd.

I thought there were 4 top OT in this draft...Monroe/J. Smith/A. Smith/Ohor. I have read that all 4 of these guys were almost equal with little seperation from 1-4...this being said, I cant see us passing on one of these 4 guys if 1 is still available at 13...

Most mocks have all 4 of these guys gone before the skins pick...I really love how mocks change from now until draft day...the players stay the same however the perception of fans/owners changes.

McShay I recall was in the ball park with his mock last year, at least the ones he did closer to the draft. Him Kiper and Mayock are often wrong as to which teams picks whom, but they are rarely way off in terms of giving a ball park idea to where the players are picked.

All of those guys said figuring who chooses whom is tough so they focus on the buzz over how the players are regarded and put more stock to where the players fall than which teams picks them. One thing strikes me about the 2nd round, you have people on the board in love with Duke Robinson. McShay has him in the late 2nd.

I do think there is a decent chance based on Vinny's rhetoric that the Skins end up picking late 1st or having two second rounders so that part of the draft might not end up irrelevant. Vinny talked about trading down before last year's draft and got it done, he's talking now again about doing it.

Edit:

Funny one star for posting arguably one of three most publicized guys who do mock drafts during the off season. If people weren't interested it would be one thing but clearly some of us are, there is not much else to think about in the off season IMO.

Archived