Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two children should be limit, says green guru

sacase

http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/l...cle5627634.ece

Two children should be limit, says green guru

COUPLES who have more than two children are being “irresponsible” by creating an unbearable burden on the environment, the government’s green adviser has warned.

Jonathon Porritt, who chairs the government’s Sustainable Development Commission, says curbing population growth through contraception and abortion must be at the heart of policies to fight global warming. He says political leaders and green campaigners should stop dodging the issue of environmental harm caused by an expanding population.

A report by the commission, to be published next month, will say that governments must reduce population growth through better family planning.

“I am unapologetic about asking people to connect up their own responsibility for their total environmental footprint and how they decide to procreate and how many children they think are appropriate,” Porritt said.

"I think we will work our way towards a position that says that having more than two children is irresponsible. It is the ghost at the table. We have all these big issues that everybody is looking at and then you don’t really hear anyone say the “p” word.”

The Optimum Population Trust, a campaign group of which Porritt is a patron, says each baby born in Britain will, during his or her lifetime, burn carbon roughly equivalent to 2½ acres of old-growth oak woodland - an area the size of Trafalgar Square.

The British population, now 61m, will pass 70m by 2028, the Office for National Statistics says. The fertility rate for women born outside Britain is estimated to be 2.5, compared with 1.7 for those born here. The global population of 6.7 billion is expected to rise to 9.2 billion by 2050.

Porritt, who has two children, intends to persuade environmental pressure groups to make population a focus of campaigning.

“Many organisations think it is not part of their business. My mission with the Friends of the Earth and the Greenpeaces of this world is to say: ‘You are betraying the interests of your members by refusing to address population issues and you are doing it for the wrong reasons because you think it is too controversial,” he said.

Porritt, a former chairman of the Green party, says the government must improve family planning, even if it means shifting money from curing illness to increasing contraception and abortion.

He said: “We still have one of the highest rates of teenage pregnancies in Europe and we still have relatively high levels of pregnancies going to birth, often among women who are not convinced they want to become mothers.

-------

:wtf:

Interesting idea I guess...in some ways he's right, the earth really can sustain only so many people. Perhaps instead of instituting a child limit for all couples, they could focus on educating people who can't afford/support or don't want kids on how to avoid having them and/or then abandoning them.

Besides, how are they going to enforce something like this? Mandatory vasectomies or tube ties for couples that have their second kid?

they could focus on educating people who can't afford/support or don't want kids on how to avoid having them and/or then abandoning them.

Seriously, the birth rate among lower income people is so ridiculously scary. We are seeing what is often the worst genes in the human gene pool being passed on at something like 2.5x the rate that the highest quality genes are. In 1,000 years, if the Earth can sustain us for that long, we could actually see 2 separate species begin to emerge.

btw: definitely NOT saying that all lower income people have crappy genes. Many have excellent genes and are victims of circumstance. However, there are MANY examples of people having a lot of kids that REALLY shouldn't be reproducing.:2cents:

Seriously, the birth rate among lower income people is so ridiculously scary. We are seeing what is often the worst genes in the human gene pool being passed on at something like 2.5x the rate that the highest quality genes are. In 1,000 years, if the Earth can sustain us for that long, we could actually see 2 separate species begin to emerge.

btw: definitely NOT saying that all lower income people have crappy genes. Many have excellent genes and are victims of circumstance. However, there are MANY examples of people having a lot of kids that REALLY shouldn't be reproducing.:2cents:

The movie Idiocracy comes to mind.

:)

Better tell the Mom with 14 kids and has never been married this ;)

That's fine; 2 is a good number, 3 "not outrageous"- as long as you can support them without government supplement; but we have people who do "nothing" for entertainment but procreate; seriously~ whether it be a budget money issue~ that is what they do, and this "deed" is done without any thought process of what could happen after the act. This act then has created government supported children and families.

All I want to know~ can I take them as aa deduction? :D this year? I pay my taxes, but am looking for any deductions I can get~ but I want them to be legit deductions:D

Responsibility comes at a cost; educate them; however, even with education the numbers keep growing............

Propulation is truly getting out of hand in this country and other countries.

Screw that noise, this is just another step closer to becoming China. I really hate our Government and the idiots running it sometimes. Who the hell cares how the enviroment is affected? We are the rulers over this planet. We should use it how we damn well want to and then move to another planet when its all screwed up and not give a damn about this place. But this douchebage would probably be against space exploration because that sucks to them too :(

I'll have as many kids as I want to and I hope you all do too. These hippy green thumb up there butts douchebags can all eat me.

Ah and Eugenics rears its ugly head. Ironically it is actually the upper crust that have the most genetic problems (in breeding will do that).

Screw that noise, this is just another step closer to becoming China. I really hate our Government and the idiots running it sometimes. Who the hell cares how the enviroment is affected? We are the rulers over this planet. We should use it how we damn well want to and then move to another planet when its all screwed up and not give a damn about this place. But this douchebage would probably be against space exploration because that sucks to them too :(

I'll have as many kids as I want to and I hope you all do too. These hippy green thumb up there butts douchebags can all eat me.

Hmm... so what planet do you suggest we move to when we **** the Earth all to **** in the next 100 years? Because no matter how much $ we give NASA, we sure ain't getting the technology to travel to another solar system in that time frame.

COUPLES who have more than two children are being “irresponsible” by creating an unbearable burden on the environment, the government’s green adviser has warned.

Jonathon Porritt, who chairs the government’s Sustainable Development Commission, says curbing population growth through contraception and abortion must be at the heart of policies to fight global warming. He says political leaders and green campaigners should stop dodging the issue of environmental harm caused by an expanding population.

Abortion should not be a means of birth control to promote.

Hmm... so what planet do you suggest we move to when we **** the Earth all to **** in the next 100 years? Because no matter how much $ we give NASA, we sure ain't getting the technology to travel to another solar system in that time frame.

Who says? You say, but that doesn't make it so. I believe we need to be looking for a new place to stay instead of doing donkey ass stupid things like telling people to not have kids. If you don't want them so be it. Why does everyone like to think they know whats best for everyone else? People need to stop trying to tell everyone what they thinks best and mind there own business.

Who the hell cares how the enviroment is affected? We are the rulers over this planet. We should use it how we damn well want to and then move to another planet when its all screwed up and not give a damn about this place. But this douchebage would probably be against space exploration because that sucks to them too :(

How old are you, 12?

Archived