Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Picture of 2008: Which film would you vote for?

footballhenry

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I've seen all 5 nominees for Best Picture and must say that I really don't see any run-away 'classic' in this years noms. Don't get me wrong, these movies are fantastic in their own right but unlike previous years (ex:the Departed, LOTR, Gladiator, etc.) I don't see a clear 'winner'. That said, we each have our own opinion and I want to know what you think. I know most haven't seen all 5, so go ahead and choose at least from the ones you have seen....comments are welcome of course.

The Nominees of the Academy Award for the 2008 Best Picture are:

milk-poster-sean-penn.jpg

slumdog-millionaire-poster-full.jpg

poster_lg.jpg

5887.jpg

MV5BMTM0NDQxNjA0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDUwMzcwMg@@._V1._SX94_SY140_.jpg

Now for me personally, I can eliminate the Reader right away as I personally found it to be a bit sluggish and honestly feel it is very overrated (though Kate Winslet does give an amazing performance). Don't get me wrong, its not a bad film...I just don't think it deserved this high of a nomination. I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

That leaves Benjamin Button, Milk, Frost/Nixon, and Slumdog Millionaire. Now as much as I loved Milk, and of course found it very personally touching...I don't believe it is as good as the other three films left. While it is a very good film and it deserves the nomination, it did drag at times...though the acting more than made up for that. I'd give Milk an 8.8/10.

Slumdog Millionaire is this years feel good story. It really is a remarkable film, and is extremely well-made. No doubt it deserves the nominations it gets, but to me this is a film that deserves the noms but not the awards themselves. No disrespect, it is a profoundly good film. 9/10.

That leaves Frost/Nixon and the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. These are two VERY different movies of course. I found myself engrossed in both but in completely different ways. Frost/Nixon is intellectually stimulating and intense politically while Benjamin Button surely has a more epic feel to it. Personally, I have to give a slight edge to Benjamin Button...to me, it has everything you want in a movie (great acting, epic story, original dialogue, etc.). Frost/Nixon gets a 9.1/10 while Ben Button gets a 9.2/10.

Though I have to say these films are so close, that with repeated viewings each one may get better or worse pending the depth. Look forward to hearing your replies. ~namaste~

I haven't seen any of the movies but I love Danny Boyle movies so I voted for Slumdog Millionaire. I'm sure it will be a great movie, all of the rest of his movies have been. The only other movie I'm really interested in seeing beside Slumdog is Benjamin Button. I think that Brad Pitt is an excellent actor.

I haven't seen any of the movies but I love Danny Boyle movies so I voted for Slumdog Millionaire. I'm sure it will be a great movie, all of the rest of his movies have been. The only other movie I'm really interested in seeing beside Slumdog is Benjamin Button. I think that Brad Pitt is an excellent actor.

In this week's PEOPLE there is a pic of Pitt holding his son and he and his son are both wearing one of those same hats (forget what they're called). One of the cutest things you'll ever see.

Im tired of people getting the Oscar just because they play some role that is out of character for them. Sean Penn playing a gay man doesnt impress me that much. The guy is a good actor anyways but I wasnt just stunned with the movie. If youre going to try and tell me that its movie and not actor I know but its the actors that make the movie.

I voted slumdog. Great idea, great writing and I was hooked on it from beginning to end.

But I am a little disappointed that nobody is throwing step brothers in the mix. You guys must have a prejudice against awesomeness and karate. boats and hos ****es!!

It was total BS that TDK didn't get a nom. That was a damn good film.

I'll rank everything I saw last year/early this year:

1. Slumdog Millionaire

2. The Dark Knight

3. Revolutionary Road

4. Valkyrie

5. Frost/Nxion

6. Notorious

7. Milk

8. Han****

9. My friend's dog take a dump

10. Benjamin Button

Saw Benjamin Button this weekend and in the battle of Slumdog vs Button, Slumdog definitely wins.

Button was good, and it definitely caught me emotionally, but I felt like it was almost trying too hard at some points. Also, I think his relationship with the older woman who taught him piano could have been developed better - and his relationships with the older people in general could have been developed better.

I'm planning to see at least a couple more of the nominees before the big show.

I haven't seen any of them and I probably won't. I think the academy caught teh ghey real bad. Everything has to be artsy farsty to be considered. How about take a picture that is the highest grossing film of all time and ummmm I don't know nominated it for best picture.

This elite bunch of asshats think if it's popular it can't be good, because people aren't as smart as us. Eff them! I have no respect for them.

Come on guys?

I loved the Dark Knight as much as anyone and got the Blu-Ray the day it came out - but you can't honestly say it's "Best Picture" worthy.

I was kind of surprised "The Wrestler" didn't at least get a nomination.

I am not saying that The Dark Knight was the best picture, but you have to agree with me that the best picture category has been effed for a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG time. Some of these movies that won it in the past are ATROCIOUS!!! Yet, the won because they were artsy and catered to the snobbish, elitist crowd.

Come on guys?

I loved the Dark Knight as much as anyone and got the Blu-Ray the day it came out - but you can't honestly say it's "Best Picture" worthy.

I was kind of surprised "The Wrestler" didn't at least get a nomination.

I haven't seen any films better than it this year, but then again I haven't seen any that were nominated.:doh:

I refuse to believe that it shouldn't have gotten a nomination though, even if it didn't win.:2cents:

I am not saying that The Dark Knight was the best picture, but you have to agree with me that the best picture category has been effed for a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG time. Some of these movies that won it in the past are ATROCIOUS!!! Yet, the won because they were artsy and catered to the snobbish, elitist crowd.

I've actually loved the past 4 Best Pictures so I'm not sure what the outrage is about. I'd hardly call "The Departed" an "artsy" film.

You have to be able to differentiate between a blockbuster and a Best Picture. TDK was a GREAT movie and an awesome blockbuster but as much as I loved it I don't see it as being worthy of a Best Picture nomination for the Oscars.

EDIT: Even Gladiator won Best Picture - a lot of bad ass movies win the Oscar.

Archived