Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Picture of 2008: Which film would you vote for?

footballhenry

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I am not saying that The Dark Knight was the best picture, but you have to agree with me that the best picture category has been effed for a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNGGGGG time. Some of these movies that won it in the past are ATROCIOUS!!! Yet, the won because they were artsy and catered to the snobbish, elitist crowd.

See Slumdog Millionaire. It's not "artsy fartsy" stuff. It's a very, very good movie.

And yes, I agree, TDK should have been at least nominated.

Look at Titanic back in 1996. It still is the highest grossing movie of all time and it won almost every category it was nominated for.

• 3 weeks later...

With the Oscars less than 24 hours away I think its necessary to bump this thread to see if we can get anymore replies/votes. I'm thinking Slumdog is going to win but kind of hope Benjamin Button wins (I think Rev. Road shouldve been nominated over the Reader). I could see Penn or Rourke winning ( I just saw the Wrestler today, great film..Rourke def gives a very down to earth performance). I will say that if Milk wins Best Picture, I think it would probably be another 'political' type of win just because of Brokeback not winning a couple years back and the recent events of the gay marriage rulings across the country (its a great film but Benjamin or Slumdog should win, imho).

I didn't really like Slumdog Millionaire. I thought the whole overall idea was far too much love and destiny making pretty much impossible things happen. Decent movie, but I just find it to be way, way over hyped as the best film of the year.

I have no idea how "The Wrestler" wasn't nominated. I think that's total crap. Now that's a movie that's realistic, has imperfect characters and honestly plausible loose ends, and leaves the viewer with their own idea of what to take away from the film.

Dark Knight also could have used a nomination, that's a pretty damn intricate plot throughout. I think I have a bigger problem with Nolan not being nominated for Best Director though. Putting together a movie of that scale and depth that also appealed so strongly to the masses is a quite a feat that should have definitely earned a nomination.

It was total BS that TDK didn't get a nom. That was a damn good film.
The Dark Knight gets my vote.
DARK KNIGHT should have been nominated and should win.

Among superhero movies, I thought Iron Man was superior to Dark Knight in many ways.

I liked the story of Benjamin Button, but honestly was disappointed with the acting of Pitt. He let the make-up do the acting to a degree. By choosing to make the character as stoic, quiet, and thoughtful as they did. I never felt the exuberance of a three year old within an eighty year old's body. I never felt the world weariness and heavy cynicism of an old man within the teenage Pitt. He played the character the same the whole way through and it would have been fun to battle more of an emotional range within the restrictions of an uncooperative body.

So, Button didn't do it for me.

Slumdog has one amazing thing going for it. It never tricked me. I know what was going to happen and correctly predicted each turn. However, I was never bored. That speaks really well to the acting and directing.

Didn't see Milk.

I really liked Frost Nixon, but I don't know that I'd make it "Best Picture"

Didn't see the Reader.

I think I would have chosen Gran Torino which was touching, funny, and had a great ending, but with it out I'd go for Slumdog

I didn't really like Slumdog Millionaire. I thought the whole overall idea was far too much love and destiny making pretty much impossible things happen. Decent movie, but I just find it to be way, way over hyped as the best film of the year.

I have no idea how "The Wrestler" wasn't nominated. I think that's total crap. Now that's a movie that's realistic, has imperfect characters and honestly plausible loose ends, and leaves the viewer with their own idea of what to take away from the film.

Dark Knight also could have used a nomination, that's a pretty damn intricate plot throughout. I think I have a bigger problem with Nolan not being nominated for Best Director though. Putting together a movie of that scale and depth that also appealed so strongly to the masses is a quite a feat that should have definitely earned a nomination.

Yea, I definitely agree with your post 100%. The Wrestler no question deserved at least a nomination, after watching it I am quite shocked that it didn't garner Aronofsky a directing nod at least; the directing was phenomenal (you can't tell me the Reader is a better film nor better directed). Personally the Best Pic nominees shouldv'e been the Dark Knight, the Wrestler, Ben Button, Slumdog, and Frost/Nixon :2cents:.

Archived