Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Buzzbee

warriorz

So what exactly does he tell the DL, don't go after the QB? When its an obvious passing down, they can't play the run my friend. Maybe he wants them to play the run first, but the other half is playing the pass.

It's been documented in a few places places this year that Blache's philosophy is to play the run first most of the time. He doesn't unleash the DL to go after the QB as much as he should - maybe in obvious passing downs but the majority of the time they are playing run. Admittedly once the realize it is a pass play they should be trying to rush the passer, but they are usually looking run first.

Regardless, the DE's we have can be productive if we get some interior linemen that can actually collapse the damn pocket. What we got right now isn't cutting it.

Other teams liked Marcus Mason as well, what contribution did he make last year?

He was caught up in a numbers game. The Skins could have kept him. Nice try.

Why re-sign Evans? Because Taylor and Daniels have to go. 30 is old for running backs, not necessarily for DEs.

Really? Well, the fans want young talent. Thats what everyone screaming about. Its time for younger guys to step up.

Taylor was productive until a couple years ago and he's going to be what, 34? Daniels played well for us in the role he was asked until he tore his ACL last year and he's 36. Those two are done in my opinion, but they need to go more so because of their cap figures. We can save $10+ million on getting rid of those two.

I agree.

Just because Evans WILL BE 30 doesn't mean he can't contribute. You can sign him to a 3/4 year deal and cut him after 2/3.

Not impressed with Evans. He can be replaced by the drafting a player. Robert Ayers would be perfect.

If you get rid of Taylor and Daniels, you will be going with Andre Carter and Chris Wilson as your starters for next year before free agency and the draft.

Good. I'm all for it. Wilson needs the opportunity to play. He should start. Why he is never on the field is a mystery too me.

Our offensive line and DT are bigger priorities for us in the draft than DE and there's no DE we can afford in free agency that will make a big impact. Terrell Suggs will cost too much and Julius Peppers said he wants to go to a 3-4 scheme. Outside of that who can we get in free agency?

Well, I guys like Raji and Jerry will be off the board by the 13th pick. Mel Kiper has the Skins taking Brian Orakpo, DE from Texas. A straight up beast. No way can the Skins pass on him. There are plenty of OL and DT's in the draft.

The Skins shouldn't go the FA route. Stay quiet in FA. Build through the draft.

If we don't go DE in the 1st round of the draft, then what are we going to do?

Trade down.

We only have 4 picks. Are you going to rely on a 3rd round pick to start for us next year? A 5th rounder? A 6th rounder?

Horton was a 7th rounder. Good pick? There are 1st rounders that are busts. The New York Giants OL? 2 UDFA, 2ND, 3RD, and a 5TH rounder. And they have 1 of the best lines in the league. The Giants led the league in rushing. Rinehart was a 3rd rounder, and he will play next year.

Do we want to go Carter, Wilson, Jackson, Buzbee and (insert draft pick) as our unit for next year?

Yep! I would do it. Young guys need to play. This team needs to go younger in a lot of areas. There is about 10 good DE's the Skins could get in the later rounds.

Hope you are kidding about expecting Buzbee to be our savior on the defensive line in 2009. He probably should not make the roster next year unless we have a poor draft.

Taylor must go too. Miami knew he was not going to be productive. Our front office likes to go for big name players who are past their prime years. We are very good at picking up "old talent".

bring em all to camp and see who out performs who ... all this bickering about roster spots and who is better is pointless right now.

I agree with Skins_in_ct ... we need some damn competition at the DT spot, we have guys that have proven they can rush the passer and get around the edges when we've gotten pressure up the middle.

Evans solid, he's homegrown, he knows the system and he is cheap. WTF would we just get rid of a guy like that for? He was our best DL'man last year, hands down. He is not the type of player you cut, he is a young 30 and will give you solid and consistant play every time, not to mention he is pretty stout against the run.

Let Wilson, Buzbee, Rob Jackson and who ever else we may draft or bring to camp fight it out ... regardless of what happens with JT. AC is safe for this year, but this could be his last if he has another sub-par season.

All the talk of signing a big-time FA DE is ridiculous IMO, when it is plain as day obvious we have absolutely no pressure from the middle of the field. We need another pressuring DT to clog up the middle and push the pocket backwards from, it is so obvious how opposing QB's step right up the middle of the pocket, we were exposed for more big gains in the middle of the field. Clog the middle and watch Fletch make the pro-bowl.

And for the record, I hope we do re-sign Evans. I don't really see anyone else going after him as he won't command that much money on the open market. He is a great utility player since he can play DT as well.

To stay on topic though, I think we give Buzbee his shot and see what he has to offer. Last year's camp was to be his big break so let's see if he can actually make it before we all decide he won't be on the roster next year.

Mason signed with another team half way through the season and never played. Anyways, that's besides the point and getting off topic.

Younger guys need to step up, easier said than done. Can't just walk into a team meeting and say, "Jackson, Buzbee, step up. Ok we're good, let's move on."

You can't approach your offseason like this. You have to make some sort of moves with contingency plans. You want to steer clear of free agency and just go through the draft.

If we skip free agency, then go into the draft hoping someone will trade with us so we can get more picks and then no one does, we're screwed.

But, let's try it.

Free agency comes and goes. We sign no one. We re-sign no one. Erasmus James has been cut already. Jason Taylor gets cut. Phillip Daniels gets cut. Demetric Evans is allowed to walk.

Prior to the draft we have Andre Carter, Chris Wilson, Rob Jackson and Alex Buzbee. Carter is a starter. Wilson is situational and weaker against the run than Carter, that's why he didn't get on the field. Blache can't trust him against the run, which is his first priority in this system, something Evans can do. Jackson didn't contribute much last year, but let's go best case scenario and say he challenges Wilson for his spot. Buzbee is a depth player coming off a torn achilles tendon, can't count on him doing much.

We move to the draft. Chris Horton made an impact as a 7th rounder last year. Did any other 7th rounder do the same? How many times can we catch lightning in a bottle? Moreover, how can our plan be to count on late round picks to come in, and start or make an impact right away? That's disastrous.

We have a 1,3,5,6 in the draft. What happens if no one wants to trade with us at 13 and we're stuck? You say the fans are screaming for younger players. How do we do that by not going the free agency route and when we only having 4 picks? Ok, we pick up Orakpo, who is just like a younger Carter, and then wait until the third round to address our horrendous offensive line, or interior defensive line, maybe a strongside linebacker?

We have far too many holes and needs to put it all off and hope someone will give us a great deal in the draft so we can trade back and look for steals. We have players who can function in our system and can be brought back to help with the process of getting younger and getting better. If they come cheap, then we should do it.

So what exactly does he tell the DL, don't go after the QB? When its an obvious passing down, they can't play the run my friend. Maybe he wants them to play the run first, but the other half is playing the pass.

The inability of a Blache-led d-line to not get to the QB is NOT primarily about playing the run first. In Blache's scheme, d-linemen control the passing lanes and occupy blockers so that the blitzer makes the sack, you honestly can't see that? Its a major reason we give up such a low completion percentage and are one of the best at limiting YAC. Another thing is to look at his history, his top sackers have usually been LBs and DBs. His best defenses have come when he's got a good to great DT and solid LBs. He got Daniels to have his two best years as a DE and Daniels is never really been known as an elite rush DE.

Hope you are kidding about expecting Buzbee to be our savior on the defensive line in 2009.

Didn't say that he would be. I said he needs a chance to play.

He probably should not make the roster next year unless we have a poor draft.

Evans may not be resigned. Daniels and Taylor may get cut. And they need to be. That leaves the Skins with Carter, Wilson, Jackson, and Buzbee.

Taylor must go too. Miami knew he was not going to be productive. Our front office likes to go for big name players who are past their prime years. We are very good at picking up "old talent".

First of all, seems none of the fans had a problem when the Skins traded for him. Why did they trade for him? It didn't work out. So, it looks like a bad move now.

Maybe, but do you truly expect him to change something that, with varying success, he's been doing his whole career as a defensive coach?

Nope, I don't have a problem with it. I can't argue about a defense that finished 4th in the league. And it seems like getting to the QB is the talk around town. Is it more important than stopping the run?

we need to stop fantasizing over undrafted FA guys who look cute in the preseason for our DL.

UDFA? The Giants have 2 starters on their OL that are UDFA. Excuse me, but their OL is better than the Skins. Heyer is a UDFA, and will be starting next year. He deserves it.

we need to add real talent to this dline and it starts with the draft. every offseason we get excited over guys who played at D8 schools that we picked up at mcdonalds who got one sack and everyone thinks theyre the next bruce smith.

Not every kid can go to a D1 school. It doesn't mean the kid can't play. Are you serious? Everyone thinks you have to be a first round pick to play in the NFL. Not true.

we need real pro level talent at the DE/DT positions. currently, we have mediocre dudes at all the spots. the only guy i think pulls his weight is a montgomry and only on running downs. dude is a legit run stopping DT. aside from him, everyone else is second rate or worse.

You talk as though the DL was the worst in the league. The defense was 4th in the league, 7th against the pass, 8th against the run. Thats pretty good. Real pro level talent? Definition please.

First of all, seems none of the fans had a problem when the Skins traded for him. Why did they trade for him? It didn't work out. So, it looks like a bad move now.

Sorry, I had a problem with it. I didn't like the way the story broke. I prayed that JLC was right (he reported that he had talked to Vinny and Vinny said we wouldn't be trading for JT). I thought we would be OK with Wilson/James/Jackson at the RE spot. And I was preaching against it up to and during the trade.

I learned to accept it in my trying to think positive about the season, but I was very against it.

So who would you suggest? You act as if anyone else on the roster would do better:doh: Evans was our most productive DE last year and won't cost much to retain. The interior DL must be addressed this year and we can focus on DE in next years draft.

Evans needs to go. He will be 30. Everyone complains how old the DL is. Plus, the Skins can do better.

My opinion the off season will come down to number of factors.

Who they sign in free agency. I doubt the draft will have much of an impact as at best your looking at 5th rounder at DE. That's if they use their few picks where expected at DT OT G C LB.

Evans could very well chase a position at another team. He is 30 next year and has had a decent year and could do better then being signed on Vet min. I doubt he will garner much attention. And is a good Vet backup.

Daniels has to prove he has recovered. He has been injury prone. But is our best DE at playing the run. And is a Veteran leader.

Jackson - Will compete with every DE who walks through the door. Think he is still practice squad eligible.

Wilson - Situational rusher. Same as Jackson age will become a factor soon. I think he is 28 this year. He first signed with the team at age 26.

Buzbee - Same as Jackson. But could be placed on practice Squad.

Undrafted FA DE - There will be a heap compete with Buzbee & Jackson.

So basically it going to come down to training camp and preseason on who earns themselves a backup role on the team. And who spends the year on the practice squad .

UDFA? The Giants have 2 starters on their OL that are UDFA. Excuse me, but their OL is better than the Skins. Heyer is a UDFA, and will be starting next year. He deserves it.

and the steelers have plenty of guys who are great undrafted FA, antonio pierce was an UDFA. the point is, buzbee is never gonna amount to much, and if he does, it wont be anytime soon. we need legit help right now, and you should look at the giants pass rushers and see what round they were drafted in.

heyer is decent at best, you dont build an Oline around him. hes a nice RT, and if we can draft someone better hes nice depth. im surprised youre that excited about stephon heyer.

Not every kid can go to a D1 school. It doesn't mean the kid can't play. Are you serious? Everyone thinks you have to be a first round pick to play in the NFL. Not true.

very true. but we have no first round, second round, third round guys on our dline. at least not ones drafted anytime recently. we ignore this part of our team with youth, unless its found on the street. vinny drafting a dllineman on day one is about as probable as me making the team as a saftey. the point is, all we have to get excited about is guys found on the street that didnt even get drafted, and have yet to show real flashes of anything. if buzbee was a suppliment to other potential studs, his praise could be warranted. im tired of reading all the fantasizing about marcus mason, alex buzbee, jessie lumsden, etc. its all nonsense. we need a legit potential rushing DE/pocket collapsing DT.

You talk as though the DL was the worst in the league. The defense was 4th in the league, 7th against the pass, 8th against the run. Thats pretty good. Real pro level talent? Definition please.

i personally think our DL is the worst pass rushing DL in football. we had 24 sacks, which is complete garbage. im glad teams drop lots of passes against us and we play prevent and somehow our relaxed defense works, but everyone is well aware that our D cuts it way close most of the time. we dont create heat for any opposing teams, we just allow them to march down the field most of the time in the 4th quarter (see eagles game, browns game). we also get no turnovers. so while our D gives up little yardage, we also get no turnovers and no sacks.

and i think our DL is very stout against the run. monty is a good run stopper, carter got better this year, and griff/golston are ok. taylor is utterly worthless however.

again, we need youth at this position. 2 5th round draft picks who arent top flight DTs arent gonna cut it.

and the steelers have plenty of guys who are great undrafted FA, antonio pierce was an UDFA. the point is, buzbee is never gonna amount to much, and if he does, it wont be anytime soon.

And you know Buzbee isn't going to amount to much?

we need legit help right now, and you should look at the giants pass rushers and see what round they were drafted in.

The Giants have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round talent on their DL. The Giants run a different scheme than the Skins do.

heyer is decent at best, you dont build an Oline around him. hes a nice RT, and if we can draft someone better hes nice depth. im surprised youre that excited about stephon heyer.

Heyer already has NFL experience. Draft someone better? Heyer has done a great job, so far. His start against the Giants, he shut out Strahan. Heyer is young and the Skins should build around him. Why do fans act like only 1st, 2nd, 3rd round talent can only play? Check out the Giants OL, again. Yeah, the same OL that led the league in rushing.

very true. but we have no first round, second round, third round guys on our dline.

Who cares!! Just because your name is called on Saturday, doesn't mean you can play on Sunday.

the point is, all we have to get excited about is guys found on the street that didnt even get drafted, and have yet to show real flashes of anything.

So, are you a scout? Look up how many UDFA that play in the league. GM's miss all the time.

if buzbee was a suppliment to other potential studs, his praise could be warranted. im tired of reading all the fantasizing about marcus mason, alex buzbee, jessie lumsden, etc. its all nonsense.

Marcus Mason and Alex Buzbee got up in the numbers game. If they aren't any good, why did other teams sign Mason off the Skins Practice Squad. Same with Buzbee. I don't care why these guys played football. If they are good enough to play, great. Sorry, but not every player on Mel Kipers big board will make it in the NFL. I see it every year.

we need a legit potential rushing DE/pocket collapsing DT.

I agree. I just don't care if the player was drafted or not. The Skins need young talent.

i personally think our DL is the worst pass rushing DL in football. we had 24 sacks, which is complete garbage. im glad teams drop lots of passes against us and we play prevent and somehow our relaxed defense works, but everyone is well aware that our D cuts it way close most of the time. we dont create heat for any opposing teams, we just allow them to march down the field most of the time in the 4th quarter (see eagles game, browns game). we also get no turnovers. so while our D gives up little yardage, we also get no turnovers and no sacks.

and i think our DL is very stout against the run. monty is a good run stopper, carter got better this year, and griff/golston are ok. taylor is utterly worthless however.

again, we need youth at this position. 2 5th round draft picks who arent top flight DTs arent gonna cut it.

See you in Indianapolis. Don't forget your stop watch.:rolleyes:

Evans needs to go. He will be 30. Everyone complains how old the DL is. Plus, the Skins can do better.

OK, who do you suggest should come in right away, and play as well as Evans for the amount he should cost us?

OK, who do you suggest should come in right away, and play as well as Evans for the amount he should cost us?

exactly, Evans was our best DL'man last year. He is a younger version of Phillip Daniels. I am perplexed as to why we would cut someone who knows and has excelled in our system, who is going to be one of the cheapest FA's on the market, and has already proven to be a versatile player for our team.

letting Evans go and expecting Wilson/Buzbee/Jackson compete for the other DE spot is absolutely retarded. Evans is the EXACT kind of player you keep, because you can afford him and you get solid, consistent play at the DE spot, and he can move inside to DT in certain situations ... and did I mention he will probably sign for just slightly above vet min?

We can get by with Evans and AC as our starters at DE, we can;t continue to rely on a rotation of Monty/Gholston/Griffin at DT. We brought in JT and what did it get us? NOTHING, it's time to focus on actually getting pressure up the middle.

exactly, Evans was our best DL'man last year. He is a younger version of Phillip Daniels. I am perplexed as to why we would cut someone who knows and has excelled in our system, who is going to be one of the cheapest FA's on the market, and has already proven to be a versatile player for our team.

letting Evans go and expecting Wilson/Buzbee/Jackson compete for the other DE spot is absolutely retarded. Evans is the EXACT kind of player you keep, because you can afford him and you get solid, consistent play at the DE spot, and he can move inside to DT in certain situations ... and did I mention he will probably sign for just slightly above vet min?

We can get by with Evans and AC as our starters at DE, we can;t continue to rely on a rotation of Monty/Gholston/Griffin at DT. We brought in JT and what did it get us? NOTHING, it's time to focus on actually getting pressure up the middle.

Somebody who actually understands our DL situation!!!!!!!!!:applause::applause::notworthy:notworthy:cheers::cheers:

What offense has to game plan around Evans? Draft a player like Mitch King, that can play DT/DE.

letting Evans go and expecting Wilson/Buzbee/Jackson compete for the other DE spot is absolutely retarded.

Retarted? I want the Skins to go the younger route. Why did the Skins draft Jackson? Wilson can get to the QB. Both Wilson and Buzbee are quick off the edge. The Skins need more speed on the edges.

Evans is the EXACT kind of player you keep, because you can afford him and you get solid, consistent play at the DE spot, and he can move inside to DT in certain situations ... and did I mention he will probably sign for just slightly above vet min?

Consistent play? No threat to get to the QB. Sept. 3rd he turns 30. No way. Everyone complains about the "old guys". The Skins need playmakers. Young guys.

We can get by with Evans and AC as our starters at DE,

thats the problem. I'm tired of "getting by."

we can;t continue to rely on a rotation of Monty/Gholston/Griffin at DT. We brought in JT and what did it get us? NOTHING, it's time to focus on actually getting pressure up the middle.

Griffin needs to go, as well as Taylor. Monty, Golston, Alexander, and draft another DT. Vance Walker? Ron Brace? Evander Hood?

Archived