Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alex Buzzbee

warriorz

What offense has to game plan around Evans? Draft a player like Mitch King, that can play DT/DE.

Tell me, what offenses are gonna game plan around Alex freaking Buzbee? or Chris Wilson? Or Rob Jackson? You want to get rid of one of our best DL'man just or the sake of getting younger? You want to draft another DE in the first round and pay him 20 times that of what it would cost to keep an experienced vet who has PROVEN he can play at the NFL level? How long are we gonna invest at one position on the DL and continue to question why they aren't effective? It's time to realize that very few DE's can be effective and pressure a QB when there are huge gaping holes right up the middle of the filed. We have too many other holes to fill than going after another DE, who could be a bust or not, but who is not doubt going to need time to develop.

Retarted? I want the Skins to go the younger route. Why did the Skins draft Jackson? Wilson can get to the QB. Both Wilson and Buzbee are quick off the edge. The Skins need more speed on the edges.

Who says Wilson can get to the QB? When has he gotten to the QB? When was his name called for a sack last year or batted passes? he is a tweener and hasn't had an effective game since the last game of the '07 season. Wilson and Buzbee are quick off the edges? Funny, I don't recall either of them getting to the QB last year. care to explain that one in more detail?

Consistent play? No threat to get to the QB. Sept. 3rd he turns 30. No way. Everyone complains about the "old guys". The Skins need playmakers. Young guys.

so a guy that played spot duty his first 4 or 5 years in the league, and has come on strong the past 3 years, is now all of a sudden old? So anyone is who is close to 30 years old is old? This is a completely illogical way of thinking.

thats the problem. I'm tired of "getting by."

well tough ****, that's what happens we you trade all of your draft picks. We need to upgrade the spots that need our immediate attention. DE is not currently one of them.

Griffin needs to go, as well as Taylor. Monty, Golston, Alexander, and draft another DT. Vance Walker? Ron Brace? Evander Hood?

Sorry but Alexander is never going to be anything more than he is now, and that's a hard worker who is good on special teams, nothing more nothing less. Hey I agree I want to get young, but you do realize we only have 4 or 5 draft picks this year? It's not about getting young for the sake of getting young. It's about building depth for the future, that involves getting more youth on the team. But cutting every player who is approaching 30, just to have a "young" squad is an illogical way of putting a roster together. Nothing personal, but none of your posts made a lick of sense.

This is the dude from Georgetown whose knee exploded' date=' right? I don't think there was any guarantee who have made the squad last year.[/quote']

Knee exploded? He would have made the team last year. Jackson would have been on the practice squad. Taylor would have not been signed if Daniels and Buzbee didn't get hurt.

Carter, Evans, Wilson, Daniels, Buzbee, James. Jackson goes to the practice squad.

He would have made the team last year. Jackson would have been on the practice squad. Taylor would have not been signed if Daniels and Buzbee didn't get hurt.

Seriously, do you KNOW something we don't or is this pure speculation on things you have read? The Redskins were reportedly interested in Taylor once he was on the block, before Buzbee and Daniels went down. Them getting injured was the excuse they needed to pull the trigger sooner than later.

Unless you are an "insider", you have NO idea that Buzbee would have made the 53 man roster.

Tell me, what offenses are gonna game plan around Alex freaking Buzbee? or Chris Wilson? Or Rob Jackson? .

I would be more worried about a speed rusher that could get to the QB. Wilson proved it in the playoff game against Seattle. 2 sacks and a forced fumble. Why does Doc Walker bring up the point about Wilson never playing, when he should be. Wilson even had a sack against the Giants, the first game of the season, from the DT spot.

You want to get rid of one of our best DL'man just or the sake of getting younger? You want to draft another DE in the first round and pay him 20 times that of what it would cost to keep an experienced vet who has PROVEN he can play at the NFL level?

Did I say anything about drafting a DE in the first round? Robert Ayers had a great Senior Bowl game. He is a 3rd rounder. You talk as though Evans can't be replaced. Oh my badd! Evans is always on ESPN's TOP PLAYS. Sorry, what was I thinking.:rolleyes:

How long are we gonna invest at one position on the DL and continue to question why they aren't effective? It's time to realize that very few DE's can be effective and pressure a QB when there are huge gaping holes right up the middle of the filed.

What games have you been watching?

We have too many other holes to fill than going after another DE, who could be a bust or not, but who is not doubt going to need time to develop.

Shorty, you need to get with it. What are talking about? Have you been following along?

Who says Wilson can get to the QB? When has he gotten to the QB?

read above.

When was his name called for a sack last year or batted passes? he is a tweener and hasn't had an effective game since the last game of the '07 season. Wilson and Buzbee are quick off the edges? Funny, I don't recall either of them getting to the QB last year. care to explain that one in more detail?

Chris Wilson had 4 sacks during the 2007 season.

Did you watch any of the playoff game last year? That should answer your question. Buzbee was on the practice squad last year, and was signed to the roster before the last game of the season. KC was going to sign him off the Skins Practice Squad.

so a guy that played spot duty his first 4 or 5 years in the league, and has come on strong the past 3 years, is now all of a sudden old? So anyone is who is close to 30 years old is old? This is a completely illogical way of thinking.

MMMMM!!! OKAY, whatever you say. Tell me why Wilson had more sacks last year than Evans?

Nothing personal, but none of your posts made a lick of sense.

You just don't understand. Its cool.

Seriously, do you KNOW something we don't or is this pure speculation on things you have read? The Redskins were reportedly interested in Taylor once he was on the block, before Buzbee and Daniels went down. Them getting injured was the excuse they needed to pull the trigger sooner than later.

Unless you are an "insider", you have NO idea that Buzbee would have made the 53 man roster.

Yeah, every big name is always linked to the Skins. Vinny did it. I understood why.

Look, I don't understand why you are beefing at me. I want young talent on the team. And you have this love for Evans.

Yeah, every big name is always linked to the Skins. Vinny did it. I understood why.

Look, I don't understand why you are beefing at me. I want young talent on the team. And you have this love for Evans.

As much "love" as I have for Evans, you have for Buzbee. I just don't understand why you are making these gaurantees as to why Buzbee would have made it. I'm trying to take the most sensible approach to this cluster **** of a DL.

RIGHT NOW, the best option going into the season based on FA, draft, and the DL needs IMO are first addressing the DT position, because it doesn't matter who is on the edge, they won't get to the QB without solid inside pressure.

We need TWO NEW starters at DT IMO, whether its through the draft or FA or a combination of the both. Griffin should be gone or take a huge pay cut, Gholston is a pure backup. Monty is worth keeping in the regular rotations.

Based on FA and the draft, I think we will have to go with one decent FA DT and one DT in the draft forcing us to go with the DE's on our roster. I think that Carter and Evans should be the starters THIS year, and we will see them get a lot more pressure with new DT's in the middle and we can focus on DE next year.

I'm not thrilled about Evans as a starter, but I think that is our best option this year based on what I have stated.

No beef, just differences of opinion.:cheers:

I would be more worried about a speed rusher that could get to the QB. Wilson proved it in the playoff game against Seattle. 2 sacks and a forced fumble. Why does Doc Walker bring up the point about Wilson never playing, when he should be. Wilson even had a sack against the Giants, the first game of the season, from the DT spot.

really, you're gonna talk about a game from over 2 years ago? Where was he last year? You want to throw our eggs in the Chris Wilson/Alex Buzbee basket and let a proven payer like Evans go? Evans had 3.5 sacks last year in a bend don't break defense and consistently held his side of the field and limited the run game. Wilson had 1 sack the first game of the year against the GMen in garbage time, whoopidty doo. Look I'm not saying Evans is a pro-bowl player, I am saying he is capable and consistent. please look those words up in the dictionary if you don't understand.

Did I say anything about drafting a DE in the first round? Robert Ayers had a great Senior Bowl game. He is a 3rd rounder. You talk as though Evans can't be replaced. Oh my badd! Evans is always on ESPN's TOP PLAYS. Sorry, what was I thinking.:rolleyes:

you said "Draft a player like Mitch King, that can play DT/DE." ... regardless of his exact defined position, Evans can already do both for cheap and he has proven he can play in this league. Why dump him and take another guy to do the same thing, who may or may not even make the roster? Oh I forgot you just like ti get rid of everybody for the sake of having "young guys" on the team. :doh:

What games have you been watching?
You call this a response?

Shorty, you need to get with it. What are talking about? Have you been following along?
Again, no substance whatsoever, and I ain't your shorty. Come back when you want to talk about football.
read above.
well, at least that was a coherent response, albeit no substance, but I guess we can't expect too much more.
Chris Wilson had 4 sacks during the 2007 season.

Did you watch any of the playoff game last year? That should answer your question. Buzbee was on the practice squad last year, and was signed to the roster before the last game of the season. KC was going to sign him off the Skins Practice Squad.

Look I have no problem with Chris Wilson or Alex BUzbee, I am not saying they don't deserve a shot or haven't shown any flashes of potential. But that is my point, that's all they have shown, flashes ... and Buzbee hasn't been healthy enough to make the roster yet, so we'll see what he can do come training camp. I am a proponent of bringing them all to camp and letting them show what they can do in a competitive atmosphere.

MMMMM!!! OKAY, whatever you say. Tell me why Wilson had more sacks last year than Evans?

WRONG ... If you're gonna throw out stats the least you can do is do a little leg work and get em right ... Evans had 3.5 sacks and Wilson had 1.

Evans: http://www.nfl.com/players/demetricevans/profile?id=EVA137627

Wilson: http://www.nfl.com/players/chriswilson/profile?id=WIL662787

You just don't understand. Its cool.
Anything else you want to "explain" to me?

As much "love" as I have for Evans, you have for Buzbee. I just don't understand why you are making these gaurantees as to why Buzbee would have made it. I'm trying to take the most sensible approach to this cluster **** of a DL.

RIGHT NOW, the best option going into the season based on FA, draft, and the DL needs IMO are first addressing the DT position, because it doesn't matter who is on the edge, they won't get to the QB without solid inside pressure.

We need TWO NEW starters at DT IMO, whether its through the draft or FA or a combination of the both. Griffin should be gone or take a huge pay cut, Gholston is a pure backup. Monty is worth keeping in the regular rotations.

Based on FA and the draft, I think we will have to go with one decent FA DT and one DT in the draft forcing us to go with the DE's on our roster. I think that Carter and Evans should be the starters THIS year, and we will see them get a lot more pressure with new DT's in the middle and we can focus on DE next year.

I'm not thrilled about Evans as a starter, but I think that is our best option this year based on what I have stated.

No beef, just differences of opinion.:cheers:

I totally agree with this, no one is saying Evan's is the end all be all of DE's ... we're just saying that he is cheap and serviceable and is "solid" ... he can be productive with better talent around him. But won't make our DT's be any better than they currently are, but he stops the run and I saw him get pressure on the QB by bulldozing OT's ... more so than any other DE on our roster. WE NEED A POCKET COLLAPSING, DOUBLE TEAM DEMANDING DEFENSIVE TACKLE ... PERIOD

I totally agree with this, no one is saying Evan's is the end all be all of DE's ... we're just saying that he is cheap and serviceable and is "solid" ... he can be productive with better talent around him. But won't make our DT's be any better than they currently are, but he stops the run and I saw him get pressure on the QB by bulldozing OT's ... more so than any other DE on our roster. WE NEED A POCKET COLLAPSING, DOUBLE TEAM DEMANDING DEFENSIVE TACKLE ... PERIOD

Great minds think alike. Hard to argue that logic:cheers:

really, you're gonna talk about a game from over 2 years ago? Where was he last year?

Wilson didn't play much. I have no idea why. You asked, I told you. I don't care how long ago it was.

You want to throw our eggs in the Chris Wilson/Alex Buzbee basket and let a proven payer like Evans go?

I like speed of the edge. Evans doesn't have that. Everyone is complaining about not having sacks, but the players that get to the QB, don't play.

Evans had 3.5 sacks last year in a bend don't break defense and consistently held his side of the field and limited the run game. Wilson had 1 sack the first game of the year against the GMen in garbage time, whoopidty doo.

Evans played more than Wilson did last year. So, he should have more sacks. A big 3.5 sacks. Wow! In 2007, Wilson had 4 sacks, 2 sacks in the playoffs. How many did Evans have? 1!

Look I'm not saying Evans is a pro-bowl player, I am saying he is capable and consistent. please look those words up in the dictionary if you don't understand.

You don't have to get smart because we don't agree.

you said "Draft a player like Mitch King, that can play DT/DE." ... regardless of his exact defined position, Evans can already do both for cheap and he has proven he can play in this league. Why dump him and take another guy to do the same thing, who may or may not even make the roster? Oh I forgot you just like ti get rid of everybody for the sake of having "young guys" on the team. :doh:.

Its time to go in a different direction. Mitch King? Young legs. Evans has been around enough. Time to go. "We need to get younger on both lines."

Again, no substance whatsoever, and I ain't your shorty. Come back when you want to talk about football.

No need to get upset. I can talk football and I want too.

well, at least that was a coherent response, albeit no substance, but I guess we can't expect too much more.

try me.

Look I have no problem with Chris Wilson or Alex BUzbee, I am not saying they don't deserve a shot or haven't shown any flashes of potential. But that is my point, that's all they have shown, flashes ... and Buzbee hasn't been healthy enough to make the roster yet, so we'll see what he can do come training camp. I am a proponent of bringing them all to camp and letting them show what they can do in a competitive atmosphere.

Well, you have to start somewhere.

WRONG ... If you're gonna throw out stats the least you can do is do a little leg work and get em right ... Evans had 3.5 sacks and Wilson had 1.

Evans: http://www.nfl.com/players/demetricevans/profile?id=EVA137627

Wilson: http://www.nfl.com/players/chriswilson/profile?id=WIL662787

Anything else you want to "explain" to me?

Wrong? You wanted to know what Wilson has done. I showed you. That was from the 2007 season. I know how many sacks Evans had last year. I know how many sacks Wilson had last year. Evans should have had more sacks. He played more. Nothing more I want to explain to you. Its like talking to my wife.

I like speed of the edge. Evans doesn't have that. Everyone is complaining about not having sacks, but the players that get to the QB, don't play.

Its time to go in a different direction. Mitch King? Young legs. Evans has been around enough. Time to go. "We need to get younger on both lines."

Evans might not have speed off the edge, but that's not his role. He's the run stopper on the line. Ever wonder why other teams ran us over on the edge last year when Jason Taylor was in the game? Evans stops the run on the edge and plays DT on passing/situational downs. He's not supposed to be our "sack master." That was supposed to be Andre Carter's role.

Look, everyone wants to get younger on both lines, no one's arguing that we shouldn't. But you can't dump everyone and just expect these no names to magically step up and produce. Evans might not have speed off the edge, but Alex Buzbee? Are you kidding? He didn't have great speed before and if you think he'll have it after tearing his Achilles tendon, you're in a fantasy world.

As for Mitch King, I'd love to have a Justin Tuck-like player who can be both DE and DT when we need it, but you can't guarantee me he'll work out. I hope to God you weren't on the Alan Branch or Vernon Gholston bandwagon of the last two years. Evans can play DE/DT and we need a guy like that while we revamp the lines and start this overhaul. He'll be cheaper than a 3rd round pick and will give us at least another two good years. We can get additional guys in that time and then let him go.

Wilson didn't play much. I have no idea why. You asked, I told you. I don't care how long ago it was.

does that make it true? or even a good idea? at least I don't think so.

speed does not get you sacks. Evans is the run stopper, his role is not to blaze past OT's and turn the edges to get sacks. He is the primary run stopper DE type that fits the role of a Greg Blache led defense. And it's not about what we like, it's about what we need. Evans has produced and done his job, better than Jason Taylor or Andre carter did last year.

Evans played more than Wilson did last year. So, he should have more sacks. A big 3.5 sacks. Wow! In 2007, Wilson had 4 sacks, 2 sacks in the playoffs. How many did Evans have? 1!

Like I said, 2007 was 2 years ago ... should I go down the list of players who showed promise in 2007 and have since faded? Again, I have no problem with Chris Wilson or Buzbee. But he hasn't proven he can get on the field ... you can take that argument up with the coaching staff if you want. But I don't give him a pass because "he didn't play as much." Playing time is earned in practice and he's had plenty of chances on special teams to make plays as well.

You don't have to get smart because we don't agree.

You don't have to call me "shorty" and insinuate that I am clueless about the game of football because I disagree with you either. Let's not pretend I am attacking you because that is not the case. Treat others how you would like to be treated.

tell me more about him if you want, I'm interested in any and all prospects on the DL. I am simply not an advocate of cutting or releasing a proven vet like Evans, just because he is approaching 30 and we need to inject a youth movement on our team. I stated why I think that line of thinking is flawed, and countered it with an intelligent response. if you don't agree, great, I have no problem with that, that's what the point of the discussion is about.

No need to get upset. I can talk football and I want too.

I'm not upset that we don't agree, I just do not appreciate you're comments like "what have you been watching?" ... or "where have you been all this time" ... insinuating that I am naive or unaware, when in fact I am right there in the middle of the discussion, and you are responding with personal questions about my mental stability.

try me.

I'm all ears and eyes.

Well, you have to start somewhere.

I guess we just disagree where that starting point is then and can end it here.

Wrong? You wanted to know what Wilson has done. I showed you. That was from the 2007 season. I know how many sacks Evans had last year. I know how many sacks Wilson had last year. Evans should have had more sacks. He played more. Nothing more I want to explain to you. Its like talking to my wife.

I wanted to know what Wilson did this past season to justify releasing D.Evans. You didn't show me anything, in fact, you quoted incorrect data to support your argument, and when I "showed you" how that info was wrong, you deflected back to Evans 3.5 sacks and made light of that because you think he should have been more productive.

We can agree to disagree, I'm all for that. Hail to em.

Some of you guys still don't seem to have an appreciation for where the team is at DE.

There are older players whose bodies have started to break down (Taylor, Daniels), a middle age player who is grossly overpaid (Andre Carter), and a couple of younger players who don't appear to be NFL contributors (Wilson, Buzbee, Jackson).

Only Demetric Evans seems to be a player that combines the versatility that is desirable with the size to be an effective run defender at DE and then a third down tackle as needed.

For those that questioned my original post about replacing the DEs on the roster as being 'knee jerk' and 'reactionary', I think one needs to look at at where some of these players are in their careers and where they might fit on other NFL teams.

I can't pick out one DE that would make the NY Giants roster for 2009. Perhaps Evans makes it as a swing DE/DT as the #6 or #7. Cowboys? Eagles? Don't see our players being competitive for spots with any of the clubs in the NFC East.

So, the idea that we could keep Evans and go out and find 3-4 players at the DE spot doesn't seem that far-fetched to me.

What would it take?

1. Select a DE at #13 in the draft or move down if possible and take one with an early #2 pick.

2. Select another DE in a late round (#6) who has the size to be an anchor against the run, something the club lacked in 2008 with the likes of Taylor (244) and Carter (255).

3. Sign two free agent DEs in the offseason. I am not suggesting breaking the bank to sign or trade for Julius Peppers, but rather looking in that medium range of talent for solid vets in the 27 to 28 age range that can help this team over the next 2-3 years.

The savings alone from the release of Jason Taylor ($8M) should be enough to cover the 2009 salaries of these two free agents and a portion of Hall's prorated bonus if he is resigned to the roster.

What do people mean that Buzbee won't amount to much? I haven't read any post that sees him as anything more than the 4th or 5th DE (maybe the 3). In any case, whether its Buzbee, John Doe, a 2008 UDFA out of Podunk U. or someone who is another teams trash, we still will need to find someone for the 4 or 5 spot and he won't be a top tier FA or come from the draft pool.

does that make it true? or even a good idea? at least I don't think so.

speed does not get you sacks. Evans is the run stopper, his role is not to blaze past OT's and turn the edges to get sacks. He is the primary run stopper DE type that fits the role of a Greg Blache led defense. And it's not about what we like, it's about what we need. Evans has produced and done his job, better than Jason Taylor or Andre carter did last year.

I understand that. I can't get a good read on Blache. He will say "We need to do a better job at getting to the QB." Well, get a player on the field that can do it. From what I saw of Wilson, I just think he is the guy that can do it. Just needs a bigger role.

I wanted to know what Wilson did this past season to justify releasing D.Evans.

He didn't play. But I know that he can get to the QB. Wilson should have a bigger role in the defense. Thats all I'm saying. Evans is a UFA, and will be 30 before the start of the season. I want some fresh legs on the team. Thats all.

You didn't show me anything, in fact, you quoted incorrect data to support your argument, and when I "showed you" how that info was wrong, you deflected back to Evans 3.5 sacks and made light of that because you think he should have been more productive.

I told you that Wilson made impact during the 2007 season, with 4 sacks. He had 2 sacks in the playoff game against the Seahawks. I know that Wilson had 1 sack last year. Evans had 3.5 sacks. I understand.

We can agree to disagree, I'm all for that. Hail to em.

Cool.:notworthy

First of all you can't cut or release Evans. He is an Unrestricted Free Agent as of late February 2009. It is up to him if he wants to stay here. OK, it's up to the Skins to offer him some money to stay here, but the question is, what is he worth and what does he THINK he is worth?

I am an advocate for re-signing him as he is a good utility player given that he can play both DE and DT. He isn't going to make the pro bowl any time soon but he does his job and is pretty solid.

You also can't say that Buzbee won't amount to anything because truth is we simply don't know yet. That is what camp is for and if he blows out his other Achilles or his knee or something else, or if he simply flat out plain sucks then we will have our answer.

DE isn't the problem anyway, at least not the first one to solve. DT is the major area of concern. I don't care who is rushing the edges, if the QB can simply step up in that nice cushy pocket then he doesn't have to worry about the DE's, speed or not. Fact is, most sacks come because the QB has no pocket to step into.

We need to find TWO starting DT's (as was said earlier) but if we can't then we need at least one. Remember, we only have 4 draft picks and I bet they won't all go to the lines.

Of the three, Griff, Gholston or Montgomery, only Griffin is a starter. I know people think he is too old but the other two simply are not the answer and he can still stuff the run. Put Griff next to someone like BJ Raji (this year, replace Griff next year) and I bet you will see the pocket get smaller. Therefore our ends, whether it is Carter and Taylor or Carter and Evans or someone else, will generate far more sacks than this year.

First of all you can't cut or release Evans. He is an Unrestricted Free Agent as of late February 2009. It is up to him if he wants to stay here. OK, it's up to the Skins to offer him some money to stay here, but the question is, what is he worth and what does he THINK he is worth?

I am an advocate for re-signing him as he is a good utility player given that he can play both DE and DT. He isn't going to make the pro bowl any time soon but he does his job and is pretty solid.

You also can't say that Buzbee won't amount to anything because truth is we simply don't know yet. That is what camp is for and if he blows out his other Achilles or his knee or something else, or if he simply flat out plain sucks then we will have our answer.

DE isn't the problem anyway, at least not the first one to solve. DT is the major area of concern. I don't care who is rushing the edges, if the QB can simply step up in that nice cushy pocket then he doesn't have to worry about the DE's, speed or not. Fact is, most sacks come because the QB has no pocket to step into.

We need to find TWO starting DT's (as was said earlier) but if we can't then we need at least one. Remember, we only have 4 draft picks and I bet they won't all go to the lines.

Of the three, Griff, Gholston or Montgomery, only Griffin is a starter. I know people think he is too old but the other two simply are not the answer and he can still stuff the run. Put Griff next to someone like BJ Raji (this year, replace Griff next year) and I bet you will see the pocket get smaller. Therefore our ends, whether it is Carter and Taylor or Carter and Evans or someone else, will generate far more sacks than this year.

well said and on point!

Great post.

I agree that our need is DT. Hopefully VC has both a clue, and a plan on how to acquire one.

I am looking forward to see what Buzbee shows us in ST and pre-season, but I suspect that at his max he could only be a situational pass-rusher. Same with Wilson. I have the highest hopes for Rob Jackson. Hopefully he has gotten stronger and bulked up a little more while still keeping his speed.

If Evans signs cheaply: GREAT. If not he can be replaced, but his versatility is nice.

Is there any chance of trading Jason Taylor? Maybe a team converting to 3-4 would value him? It would be nice to get something back for him, rather than just releasing him.

There are older players whose bodies have started to break down (Taylor, Daniels), a middle age player who is grossly overpaid (Andre Carter), and a couple of younger players who don't appear to be NFL contributors (Wilson, Buzbee, Jackson).

I don't know how any fan can say anything either way about Buzbee or Jackson, since neither has seen much of the field. As for Wilson, he's shown a reasonable amount that he's a pretty good situational pass rusher.

It is funny, but everyone had a down year. It makes me wonder if there is something that has caused that....

Only Demetric Evans seems to be a player that combines the versatility that is desirable with the size to be an effective run defender at DE and then a third down tackle as needed.

Before this season, Evans probably would have been on your cut list.

For those that questioned my original post about replacing the DEs on the roster as being 'knee jerk' and 'reactionary', I think one needs to look at at where some of these players are in their careers and where they might fit on other NFL teams.

I can't pick out one DE that would make the NY Giants roster for 2009. Perhaps Evans makes it as a swing DE/DT as the #6 or #7. Cowboys? Eagles? Don't see our players being competitive for spots with any of the clubs in the NFC East.

Ironic you say that, since all the teams listed expressed some interest in Taylor, with the Giants being the closest to pulling the trigger. Also, the Giants had Renaldo Wynn, a guy we tossed away a couple of years ago. So to say that none of these guys would be on the Giants' roster is kinda silly.

1. Select a DE at #13 in the draft or move down if possible and take one with an early #2 pick.

Sorry, but I wouldn't take any of them. They are all undersized and probably project better as 3-4 OLBs than 4-3 DEs. After watching this season, I agree with the FO that having a stud DT is definitely needed. I think THAT is the missing ingredient.

3. Sign two free agent DEs in the offseason. I am not suggesting breaking the bank to sign or trade for Julius Peppers, but rather looking in that medium range of talent for solid vets in the 27 to 28 age range that can help this team over the next 2-3 years.

The savings alone from the release of Jason Taylor ($8M) should be enough to cover the 2009 salaries of these two free agents and a portion of Hall's prorated bonus if he is resigned to the roster.

Even decent DEs come at a premium, because there are not too many that hit the market.

Archived