Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: DTs, OLBs Gaining Attention at Senior Bowl (great video included)

HitStickTaylor21

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story?id=09000d5d80e4328a&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Pat Kirwan has a good write up about the DTs and OLBs helping raise their stock at the Senior Bowl.

Compares BJ Raji's rise to Sedrick Ellis' last year and says Peria Jerry is the perfect fit for a 4-3 defense. He expects both Raji and Jerry to go really high in the draft, says the hype around Jerry might be more than Raji. Says Fili Moala from USC is having a good showing and is a good fit for 3-4 defenses. I didn't know Moala was Haloti Ngata's cousin!

The video at the top is great. The South linemen drills shows Michael Oher getting worked over by USC's Clay Matthews, but doing well against Tennessee's Robert Ayers later on. It also shows Ole Miss DT Peria Jerry DOMINATING LSU G Herman Johnson multiple times in one-on-one drills. The rest is more linemen doing one-on-ones. There's one player from Richmond, Lawrence Sidbury, who was beating his man and getting to the dummy really quickly, but seems on the smaller side. It also has video of the North linemen drills.

"Good-looking defensive tackles

If teams with 4-3 defenses are in desperate need of a defensive tackle, they're in luck because this draft has two of the best that I've seen in a while. B.J. Raji of Boston College and Peria Jerry of Mississippi are the cream of the crop and should go high in this draft.

Raji is a classic "three-technique" player who has first-step quickness to penetrate into the backfield and disrupt an offense. He's only 6-foot-1, but he's 334 pounds and is so powerful in the lower body that he looks unblockable at times. He's putting on the same kind of show we saw last year from Sedrick Ellis (now with the Saints), but Raji is 30 pounds heavier. There are some solid guards and centers here, but Raji is having no problem beating them in one-on-one drills and in the team period of practice.

For all the excitement surrounding Raji, there might even be more for Jerry. He, too, is a powerful one-gap penetrator, perfectly suited for a 4-3 defense -- but he's a little taller (6-2) and also has teams with 3-4 defenses interested. Jerry can penetrate a gap with ease, shed a blocker and make it look like the guy in front of him never found the weight room."

Click the link at the top for the entire article.

I disagree and feel that Raji is a NT. 3-technique DTs are on the lighter side. I still take Raji over Jerry, because Raji is definitely better in the run department and it is rare for a man his size to destroy people like this. It is much easier to find a guy Jerry's size in FA or other means.

so is this good or bad for us getting a DT at 13?

To put it in terms of our team, it looks like this draft is pretty top heavy for defensive tackles. There isn't a whole lot of depth in the class. Raji and Jerry are the top two guys for 4-3 defenses, while Moala looks like a down lineman in a 3-4 and Ron Brace looks like a bull rushing nose tackle. After Raji and Jerry go in the 1st round, it will be slim pickings, but then again, that's why you pay scouts what you do, to find gems later in the draft that people sleep on.

I'm reserving judgement on what we should do with our pick at 13 until after the combine and individual workouts. I still don't have my heart completely set on someone.

Raji won't last to ten, count on it. Raji is gaining steam and if he has an even more impressive combine forget about it. Sedrick Ellis and Glen Dorsey went 5 and 7, I doubt Raji lasts until 13. If the big 4 are gone and Raji is gone at 13, I sure as hell hope we can trade down.

anyone thinks Phillip Hunt is a good pick up in the draft? He seems that he would fit a 3-4 defense but he reminds me of Suggs with the ravens and I think he's going to be a steal.

If we had the personnel to go to a 3-4, i'd love Raji as our NT and Hunt as a OLB. Sadly we don't have the ends to play that defense.

If we had the personnel to go to a 3-4, i'd love Raji as our NT and Hunt as a OLB. Sadly we don't have the ends to play that defense.

I'm amazed that Hunt is not ranked higher and he's undersized to be a monster DE but he will probably go in the 4th or even 5th round. The guy had something like 35 sacks in three years.

I disagree and feel that Raji is a NT. 3-technique DTs are on the lighter side. I still take Raji over Jerry, because Raji is definitely better in the run department and it is rare for a man his size to destroy people like this. It is much easier to find a guy Jerry's size in FA or other means.

You can't pidgeon hole a player because of their size...

That's like saying Sean Taylor should have been a LB because of his size.

The reason the 3-technique DT is usually lighter is because usually lighter guys are quicker. But just like Sean Taylor, who was plenty fast and agile... So is Raji, at least in the writer's eyes. If you disagree, that's fine... But his size shouldn't be the reason.

You're really underestimating how quick Raji is off the snap, and how well he follows plays down the line to penetrate into the backfield.

His size isn't an issue with how well he carries himself.

];6070845']If Oher' date=' Monroe, Smith, and Curry are all gone, BJ Raji sounds like a fantastic pick.[/quote'] We'd definitely be better off taking a chance on Raji over Curry.

Curry's a safe pick, but he doesn't do anything exceptional. He's just a very solid linebacker all around. Hardly a need for us at the #13 spot.

Especially compared to a penetrating, large DT that can play the run and push the pocket into the QB. That's a much bigger need for us than LB.

Our pass rush is embarrassingly pathetic, but we can still stop the run. Curry ain't gonna help us get to the QB any better, but Raji very well could.

Evander Hood would be a good option if we can't get Jerry or Raji. He's the same weight as Jerry but a little taller and he probably has some room to get bigger. We'd probably have to find a way to get a 2nd rounder to get him since he'd be a huge reach at 13 but won't make it through the 2nd.

Here are the Strengths from Draftcountdown.com

Peria Jerry

Strengths:

Very athletic...Terrific speed...Quick and explosive...Really fires off the ball...Active and has a fantastic motor...Does a nice job in pursuit and has a burst to close...Can penetrate and wreak havoc in the backfield...Uses his hands well...Shows the ability to shed blocks...Is comfortable in space...Pretty tough...Hard worker and leader...Great instincts and awareness...Productive against top competition...Still improving and might have some upside...Super impressive bloodlines.

Evander Hood

Strengths:

Very good size and bulk...Naturally athletic...Active with a non-stop motor...Excellent speed and quickness...Uses his hands well...Strong with some power...Nice instincts and awareness...Stout at the point of attack...Gets upfield and can collapse the pocket...Does a good job in pursuit...Explosive with a burst to close...Sudden off the snap...Has a lot of experience...Extremely coachable...Hard worker...Team leader.

You would pick Curry over Raji? DT is more important than LB right now.

I'd take Curry over Raji every day, especially since LB is our biggest Need after OL, hands down.

Who are you more comfortable with starting next year:

Anthony Montgomery/Kedric Golston

HB Blades?

HB Blades at OLB is one of the most frightening exhibits of lack of athleticism I've ever seen. It'd be like watching Patrick Ramsey return punts.

Here's some comments draftdaddy.com made on Evander Hood...

Elsewhere in the pit, Missouri defensive tackle Ziggy Hood was building on his strong day 1 with an excellent all around performance in day 2. Hood has an impressive arsenal of pass rush moves and often uses more than one per snap. Hood actually has more moves than most of the defensive ends, and the coaches lined him up at end for several reps. Hood's best projection might be as a 4-3 rotational DT in a slanting defense. This way he can get up field and also stay fresh and ready for passing downs.

BJ Raji....

The only player that has given Mack trouble with any regularity is Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji. Raji is playing on another level than most here, and can be unblock able when he heats up. Raji goes forward or he stays put, but one thing that doesn't happen is Raji being pushed back. As a result, Raji will appeal to the 3-4 teams looking for a space-filler and to the 4-3 teams looking for a player to split double teams and collapse the pocket. It is that versatility that makes Raji the best defensive tackle in Mobile and likely the first tackle selected in the 2009 draft.

Mitch King...(another guy we'd have to add picks to get, 3rd may be early for him but I don't think he'll make it to the 5th)

Another interesting player is Iowa defensive tackle Mitch King. Over the years many have questioned whether this player was legit but King answered the call this week, displaying excellent leverage, hand play and motor in drills. King's probably not going to be considered a top athlete in terms of pre-draft grades, but he's a football player through and through. In the right situation, King could be a contributor for years.

Fila Moala...

Southern California DT Fili Moala is often projected as a 3-4 DE. While he can play that role, he showed in practice a nice swim move and an upfield burst that might be squandered in a classic 3-4 set. He's more athletic than most of his opposing linemen on the interior and this will probably be the case at the next level. With a good combine workout, he should prove to all the teams he is a well-rounded tackle.

Archived