Workout Thread II

PleaseBlitz

Poll: Geographic Breakdown of Ravens Hating  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Poll: Geographic Breakdown of Ravens Hating

• I'm from DC and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm from DC and I'm (kinda) cool with the Ravens
    • I'm from MD and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm from MD and I'm (kinda) cool with the Ravens. I may even LIKE the Ravens.
    • I'm from VA and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm from VA and I'm (kinda) cool with the Ravens
    • I'm a Skins fan with no ties to the area and I hate the Ravens
    • I'm a Skins fan with no ties to the area and I am ok with the Ravens

Tendinitis in the left wrist. Yes, from too much self love. What are some upper body/arms exercises that will keep the wrist in a neutral position? 

If you're holding/gripping something, you're options are probably very limited..just take two weeks off from doing upper body/arms, take an anti-inflam (i suggest aleve), ice it, stretch it, and then get back to work on upper body.

I've had to deal with tendonitis for both arms and thats pretty much what your dr is going to tell you, if they haven't already.

• 1 month later...

Okay. Short of the long. I didn't keep up the home workouts a couple of years ago and my conditioning and waistline reflected it. Went up to nearly 220 with a 38 waist. :( Fast forward to December 2012 when I started to work for Waly World. Yeah them. Back room evening supervisor. Truck unloader. Those guys and the way the load trucks is nearly as archaic as the unload/sort process. On our crew it was one on the truck throwing freight,(boxes from a few ounces to about 80-100 lbs with the average pieces thrown around 2000. On "the line" where the merchandise is sorted into zones you're taking stuff as fast as you can and stacking it on pallets. in about 6 months I had lost about 30lbs and by last August,it was 35+ and I was throwing one to two trucks a week. Went back to the gym last July and didn't have nearly as much catching up as I had thought I would and it took no time to get close to where I was. It was also great rehab for the torn pec I had back in 2009. Okay. Did that job until this last near May,(which also included pulling 3 different trucks of freight to the floor. Heaviest one was over a ton. Did wonders for the conditioning and strengthening. 

Now back to the gym since around June and loving it,and my workouts at home,(Tabata,dumbell complexes and other stuff),and hiking. Gotta take care of the extra weight again,but it's not nearly as much as it was. Man I did miss the gym. Oh. And hiking these big mountains helps too. :) 

Lifts stalled. Bench is at 300 and squat about 335. Squat could be better, I did go 6 months without being able to squat though. I haven't dead in a while. I hit 385 last time pretty easy. I don't plan on going for 1 rep maxes on deads. I've been playing a lot more soccer and noticed all the running really helped with getting my legs stronger. I'm hoping to hit 405 in two months assuming my back holds up.

Don't worry Jay. Us older guys get a little more leeway when it comes to falling off the wagon once in a while. I haven't been to the gym in 2 1/2 months because my elbows were simply barking too damn loud. I decided to let them heal and it seems to be working. Heading back Sept 1st. Meanwhile, I've been extremely active otherwise and have maintained my weight. So there's that. :)

Big thing there is figuring out what was causing that elbow pain. I probably could get off my own back,but man it's tougher getting back in to shape as we get older. Yeah. Duh. I did have some joint and muscle pain that signaled to me I was overtraining a bit,(came back a bit too intense I think),so had a take a bit of time off. Stopped doing that work through it crap a long time ago.  Getting back in to changing things up more frequently and back to my Heavy,light,medium workouts again too. Only incorporating more cardio in to all the workouts. For instance. Home workout for the legs today. Tabata,(with plyo's),and dumbell complex day today. This past week I did a tabata workout of of thrusters and pushups. Ouch. 

Is this making sense to anyone here? I feel like not only dumbbells gives me more energy, works my heart better, and is working my body better.  Help from an expert please? Thanks!

not an expert, but i have read that weight lifting burns calories longer after youre done working out by keeping your metabolism going after youre done working out compared to cardio.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pulled this from an SI article about safety JAMES IHEDIGBO,

Hours spent working out per day: Up to three hours. “That’s mainly the off-season. In season, it lowers down to an hour and a half based on how much we’re practicing. During season, I usually just work on my core and overall strength.”

Days spent working out per week: Five. “I usually do Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and a light cardio workout like stadium stairs on Saturdays.”

If he is working out so often, when does his body recover? I know you can alternate upper/lowers, but I don't know how that's possible to allow your body to recover in season with daily workouts. 

If he is eating and sleeping the correct amount for his workload then he should be fine. Most athletes bodies are used to that much working out. What you read about rest is for the average person who doesn't work out like that. Think about the bodybuilders who train like 5 hours a day or do two-a-days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i have alway been a mediocre, at best, swimmer.

and, until recently i hadn't really swum laps since i was about 9 years old (in the late 1970s)

but all that said, I HAVE tried to swim laps a couple of times recently.  

Basically i do fine for about 1/3 mile, and then, every time, i start to get foot cramps.   What is the solution for this?  if i make sure to be well hydrated, i can push it back a few laps, but feet still ALWAYS eventually cramp up. 

^^^Just take it one day at a time brother, and be consistent. You got to start somewhere.

Just stopped at the vitamin shoppe, and dropped over a $100 just to get my monthly supplements. This "ish is starting to get expensive.

x4nlz7.jpg

I feel u on the expensive part lol but over $100 on that seems like a bit much. I pick up most of my supps at costco. Much cheaper than vitamin shoppe or gnc

This is wat my counter looks like lol

B2D2CFB9-F1B1-45B1-B74F-9D748724121A_zps

An age old method of helping things out after a workout. I didn't ice enough back in my younger years. 

Changing things up again. Today,the garage workout. Wife and I cleaned and organized the garage pretty nicely,so not only do I have room for a little shop, :),but also have room for working out. She bought me some power blocks last Christmas so they are perfect. Tabata weight training and bodyweight training plus a leg complex. Tabata for the chest and back abs and traps. Tabata for the shoulders and finally tabata for the arms. Ouch. Speaking of ice. ;)

Note to self. Go pick up some kettlebells. 

Been researching that myself,but always finding the obvious,(water,potassium,...). My wife has that happen to her semi frequently when swimming. 

yeah... i eat at least one banana a day, and try to pound the water before i start swimming, but i still get them.  

I think it might have something to do with biking.  in the spring summer and fall i bike to work, which is great exercise... but ... is the the EXACT same motion 25 miles a day, for 7 months...   i think i have lost a lot of flexibility, and i was already less flexible than bea Arthur at 80.... anything i do with my legs outside of that limited range of motion is dangerous!

Archived