Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per. PFT...DEVIN THOMAS IN SKINS’ DOGHOUSE?

markmx

Come on, PFT is extremely resourceful. I am dead serious, they are like my number 1 news resource. If they say DT is in the doghouse, then I am scared.

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, because if you are not then you sure fooled me, but they are actually a very reputable site. Several pundits endorse PFT a lot like Dan Pantrick. Its not just some home made site.

In this instance, they are just reporting what the post has reported.

this is complete and utter bush league journalism at its finest. Zorn does not BS the media, he tells it like it is.

DT will be fine and is improving, he is hungry to be a starter and to get better. This is a complete joke of an article and I feel dumber for having read it.

I'm gonna go on a limb and say Malcolm Kelly will be our #2 WR next year.

He's got more than enough natural talent to be the #1 wide out. Outstanding ability in college, and, by all accounts, consistantly the best receiver in practice.

But then there's his knees, sighs.

As for Thomas.....

Man alive dude. You've what, a 10 year or so career? If you can't sacrifice 10 years out of your life to total dedication to your craft, for riches most of us can only dream about, why are you in this profession? You've everything going for you man, dedicate yourself, cut out the party life ****, and the future's yours.

I never expected the young guys to be a big influence in their first season, wide outs rarely are; but the one thing I DID expect, of them or ANY other player wearing the burgundy and gold, is 100% commitment to the Redskins.

Here's praying the penny drops and Thomas finaly gets that this off season, or else we'll be looking yet again at receiver come the 2010 draft.

Hail.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the Redskins didn't do a very effective job in evaluating Thomas in the pre-draft interviews.

He was raw in terms of on-field experience but devastating was his level of immaturity and arrogance based on that one season of productivity at Michigan State.

That shoud have been picked up on by the talent evaluators here.

Meanwhile the Broncos, Eagles, Rams all drafted receivers in the second round that DID work hard to make their transition to the NFL successful and who WERE productive in Year 1.

If I were the Redskins I probably would have drafted Phillip Merling with the first pick at DE and not traded out of the first round.

This is the exact reason why picking a QB and/or a WR in the draft early is always a huge risk. I still think it is better to waste the money on a quality Free agent WR than waste a pick in the draft on a WR, unless they're like Crabtree or Calvin Johnson, picking a reciever IMO is a waste. I like Davis and it looks like he's going to be a solid pick up at TE, Kelly and Thomas have shown NOTHING.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/10/devin-thomas-in-skins-doghouse/

DEVIN THOMAS IN SKINS’ DOGHOUSE?

Posted by Aaron Wilson on January 10, 2009, 7:50 a.m. EST

It’s safe to say that Washington Redskins wide receiver Devin Thomas didn’t have a banner rookie season, on or off the field, according to this scathing postseason review from the Washington Post that paints a picture of the former Michigan State star as possibly destined for Bust City.

The article portrays Thomas as having a “surly” attitude and a “swagger” unjustified by his unproductive performance, going on to say that he’s more enamored of making his presence felt on the D.C. nightlife scene than in dedicating himself to realizing his potential.

Besides apparently not having his head on straight, according to Redskins beat writer Jason La Confora, Thomas failed to run precise routes, didn’t inspire confidence in general from the quarterbacks, and basically just failed completely to develop into any kind of a deep threat despite his obvious physical gifts as a swift 6-foot-2, 220-pounder.

The future outlook definitely doesn’t sound promising since Thomas has already talked about wanting to take a break from the rigors of the NFL during the offseason, a stance that the Post calls “alarming.”

Thomas played in all 16 games with only one start, catching just 15 passes for 120 yards and an 8.0 average per reception.

In contrast, fellow first-year wideout Malcolm Kelly, who has been extremely injury-prone with chronically bad knees, is described as “well-liked” and hard-working.

Watch out OP, I posted an article similar to this one a few days ago and rec'd an NNT. :2cents:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the Redskins didn't do a very effective job in evaluating Thomas in the pre-draft interviews.

He was raw in terms of on-field experience but devastating was his level of immaturity and arrogance based on that one season of productivity at Michigan State.

That shoud have been picked up on by the talent evaluators here.

Meanwhile the Broncos, Eagles, Rams all drafted receivers in the second round that DID work hard to make their transition to the NFL successful and who WERE productive in Year 1.

If I were the Redskins I probably would have drafted Phillip Merling with the first pick at DE and not traded out of the first round.

Ah, what could have been if our staff wasn't stupid in thinking we were a couple of playmakers away:

2008:

1st: Merling (no need for JT trade)

2nd: OL/DL/Maybe even Kelly

If we had waited until the 2009 draft to get a WR we could have gotten CRABTREE and still had a 2nd for OL/DL- and a 6th or whatever it was from the idiotic Erasmus James trade

According to Zorn, Thomas was making strides by season's end. So maybe JLC is just voicing his characteristically bleak depictions of things, or maybe he's right. The truth, I’m sure, lies somewhere in between.

When did he say this? Do you have a link and specific source? I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I don't remember Zorn praising Thomas.

I guess that explains why he hasn't been out there in a lot during the season.

You have to be able to trust that the WR will make plays. He did make a couple of

decent plays,but he also made a lot of mistakes. Running shallow routes, committing

offensive PI, and having a couple of drops when thrown to.

When did he say this? Do you have a link and specific source? I'm not saying it didn't happen, but I don't remember Zorn praising Thomas.

Zorn is only one component of this. If the other players who work with him and see that he is not putting in the necesary work to get things done, then there should be a concern as to how his development is coming. Besides Zorn maybe softshoeing it for Thomas, as Zorn has had problems with calling out players as of late.

this is complete and utter bush league journalism at its finest. Zorn does not BS the media, he tells it like it is.

DT will be fine and is improving, he is hungry to be a starter and to get better. This is a complete joke of an article and I feel dumber for having read it.

I have to agree with this assessment. Although the reports about Thomas are disturbing, I do have a lot of trust in Zorn as a straight-shooter. He talked about problems with the young receivers earlier in the season. And then he talked about their improvement toward the end of the season. I was willing to give them 2 to 3 years to produce, as I would with any receiver.

If the article is to be believed, the most disturbing aspect of the article is that DS and Vinny overruled their own staff to get Kelly. Why do you hire people to give you their advice and then not use it? It's just another sad example of DS sticking his fingers in the pie. I thought the stupid draft choices were all Vinny and that DS had learned to stay out of it. Fantasy League Dan is still picking the team. Sad that I find that more believeable than the rest of the story.

if you listen to all the interviews of redskins players thru this year, you get the feeling that people aren't very fond of devin thomas... people rave about kelly and davis, but no one really ever has anything positive to say about thomas

as a teammate, you're inclined to hype up ur fellow teammates, and the fact that nobody has anything good to say about thomas speaks volumes =(

Because Davis and Kelly got very limited PT. You rarely heard any negative comments about DT (and then in a general way that almost always included Kelly). He got PT in every game this season and had pretty much taken over the three spot by the end of the season. We know for a FACT that he wanted to take over punt return duties but the offense wanted him more. We know for a FACT that his playing time increased over the season, especially with the offense. We know for a FACT that Zorn confidence in Devin has gone up.

Archived