Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per. PFT...DEVIN THOMAS IN SKINS’ DOGHOUSE?

markmx

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/10/devin-thomas-in-skins-doghouse/

DEVIN THOMAS IN SKINS’ DOGHOUSE?

Posted by Aaron Wilson on January 10, 2009, 7:50 a.m. EST

It’s safe to say that Washington Redskins wide receiver Devin Thomas didn’t have a banner rookie season, on or off the field, according to this scathing postseason review from the Washington Post that paints a picture of the former Michigan State star as possibly destined for Bust City.

The article portrays Thomas as having a “surly” attitude and a “swagger” unjustified by his unproductive performance, going on to say that he’s more enamored of making his presence felt on the D.C. nightlife scene than in dedicating himself to realizing his potential.

Besides apparently not having his head on straight, according to Redskins beat writer Jason La Confora, Thomas failed to run precise routes, didn’t inspire confidence in general from the quarterbacks, and basically just failed completely to develop into any kind of a deep threat despite his obvious physical gifts as a swift 6-foot-2, 220-pounder.

The future outlook definitely doesn’t sound promising since Thomas has already talked about wanting to take a break from the rigors of the NFL during the offseason, a stance that the Post calls “alarming.”

Thomas played in all 16 games with only one start, catching just 15 passes for 120 yards and an 8.0 average per reception.

In contrast, fellow first-year wideout Malcolm Kelly, who has been extremely injury-prone with chronically bad knees, is described as “well-liked” and hard-working.

DEVIN THOMAS IN SKINS’ DOGHOUSE?

The future outlook definitely doesn’t sound promising since Thomas has already talked about wanting to take a break from the rigors of the NFL during the offseason, quote]

If this is true, wait till he has to work a 9-5 every day. That is IF he can find a job these days. Skins are laying off the little guys to employ over-paid "stars" . Tics me off:mad:

Yeah, I read that in the Post; the PFT guys are just regurgitating old news.

According to Zorn, Thomas was making strides by season's end. So maybe JLC is just voicing his characteristically bleak depictions of things, or maybe he's right. The truth, I’m sure, lies somewhere in between.

Thomas should be giving the benefit of another season. Hopefully he will come into camp with a hunger to pick up where he left off this year and turn things around. As many have heard it normally takes 2 to 3 years for WR to adjust to the NFL.

I agree completely. I still think Davis could move into such a role with ease and hope that option is explored.

Absolutely. I just hope that VC/DS will build our OL and DL though FA and the draft and not spend draft picks on a WR. I am not on the JC bandwagon, but it appears that the Skins brass will give JC another shot next year. It will be interesting to see how JC can do with a better OL giving him more time to view the field. Realistically, I'd like to see and honest QB competition given to both JC and CB in camp next year. Cheers.

:jerk:

That basically sums up the article.

Did they write a similar article on Chad Johnson after his rookie season? Santana? Steve Smith? Brandon Marshall? Reggie Wayne? I could keep going on and on but you get the point. We all know that most WRs take a season or more to develop.

WAY too soon to start calling the man a bust.

if you listen to all the interviews of redskins players thru this year, you get the feeling that people aren't very fond of devin thomas... people rave about kelly and davis, but no one really ever has anything positive to say about thomas

as a teammate, you're inclined to hype up ur fellow teammates, and the fact that nobody has anything good to say about thomas speaks volumes =(

Skins obviously need to draft another WR. I like Hakeem Nicks who is the Beast.
At least if Vinny continues to draft WR's he should be able to get the Millen treatment.
One of the two have to be good players for us.
One of the three that is and I think the one who will shine the brightest is the one at a position we have locked up.

A PFT article that uses JLC as a source....now there's the perfect storm of credibility.

Yeah, just disregard everything they say because not only are they wrong, they LIE!!!!!11

:rolleyes:

The amount of denial around here about problems on this team is overwhelming.

Way to impress there Devin.

So let's take a close look at this guy's character. Here he was a guy who had 1st round talent and in fact most people had him projected to be a mid to late 1st round pick. For whatever reason, he drops into the 2nd round. One would think this "slight" would inspire him to prove the critics wrong and to go out and work hard and show everyone what a mistake some teams made by passing on him.

Instead he comes into camp, fails to work hard, doesn't know how to run routes and prefers to to go out clubbing instead of working.

This guy is certainly heading towards bustsville and it's up to him whether or not he gets there. But wanting "to take a break from the NFL routine this offseason" is certainly not a way to start.

Archived