Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CurlyR - You Don't Deserve an NFL Team If

HapHaszard

http://curlyr.blogspot.com/2008/12/you-dont-deserve-nfl-team-if.html

You can't sell out an NFL playoff game

Hat tip to Jason at Bleeding Green Nation via lifetime Eagles fan, season ticket holder and Curly R reader/lurker Wilbert Montgomery, the Minneapolis Star Tribune is reporting that the Eagles-Vikings wildcard playoff game may be blacked out in the local market due to poor ticket sales.

As of 10:30 am CT there were still eleven thousand tickets left for Sunday's playoff game. NFL rules dictate that these tickets must all be sold by 3:30 pm CT tomorrow, New Year's Day, which seems to me to be very unlikely. The Vikings are going to ask for an extension to Friday which I expect the league will grant but come one dudes, this is a playoff game we are talking about.

I hope Eagles fans invade in their thousands.

It's time to start shutting down some franchises and consolidating the talent.

The NFL will be better off for it.

And, I'd prefer to have just the two conferences and use conference records to determine playoff eligibility.

If you don't punish the underachievers, you get mediocrity...and you can't expect to get top money for mediocrity...as proven by these low ticket sales.

I cannot ever remember an NFCE team playoff blackout, and although my memory may not be what it once was I do think I would recall THAT.

It is mindboggling that these teams cannot even fill their own houses for a playoff run, tr1 may be right again.

It's time to start shutting down some franchises and consolidating the talent.

The NFL will be better off for it.

And, I'd prefer to have just the two conferences and use conference records to determine playoff eligibility.

If you don't punish the underachievers, you get mediocrity...and you can't expect to get top money for mediocrity...as proven by these low ticket sales.

It's called parity. And it's what the NFL wants.

Your idea is extremely INSANELY bad for business

It is a recession...

I understand the Cardinals, they have no legitimate shot at the Super Bowl. Who wants to shell out playoff ticket money to see your team get destroyed? The Vikings I'd say have an outside chance.

Either way though, I agree. Let big market cities have these teams, cause this is pathetic.

when I was growing up in DC I never even heard of a game being blacked out. Then I moved out to SD and once the whole Ryan Leaf debacle happened I started hearing about it and was just shocked that this could even happen. I am spoiled I guess.

Most of the time though local businesses will buy up the tickets and save the fans from being blacked out.

It is a recession...

I understand the Cardinals, they have no legitimate shot at the Super Bowl. Who wants to shell out playoff ticket money to see your team get destroyed? The Vikings I'd say have an outside chance.

Either way though, I agree. Let big market cities have these teams, cause this is pathetic.

Big market cities? You mean like Los Angeles? The Raiders couldn't sell out L.A. Coliseum!

Are you saying that all playoff teams should come from "big market cities"? Isn't that like fixing the outcome of the season?

Big market cities? You mean like Los Angeles? The Raiders couldn't sell out L.A. Coliseum!

Are you saying that all playoff teams should come from "big market cities"? Isn't that like fixing the outcome of the season?

in the 80s 76K was a lot to try and fill for a team that was moving in to the city. and they werent really welcome in that stadium either and it was never going to be long term.

when I was growing up in DC I never even heard of a game being blacked out. Then I moved out to SD and once the whole Ryan Leaf debacle happened I started hearing about it and was just shocked that this could even happen. I am spoiled I guess.

Most of the time though local businesses will buy up the tickets and save the fans from being blacked out.

I actually remember skins games being blacked out, guys used to travel to Richmond to rent a motel room to see the game. Its been many years ago.

I actually remember skins games being blacked out, guys used to travel to Richmond to rent a motel room to see the game. Its been many years ago.

I dont remember that, honestly. It may have been before my time but I always remember my dad and I sittng down in front of the TV (on mute) and listening to the radio for games.

I dont remember that, honestly. It may have been before my time but I always remember my dad and I sittng down in front of the TV (on mute) and listening to the radio for games.

We used to do the same thing turn down the sound on the TV and listening to the radio also, especially when Sonny and Sam started broadcasting. I think back then they were on WMAL radio. (630am)

AS BLACKOUT LOOMS IN MINNESOTA, EAGLES FANS AREN’T WELCOME

On Monday, 20,000 tickets were available for Sunday’s playoff game at the Metrodome between the Eagles and the Vikings.

Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that, as of noon on Thursday, 8,000 seats remained.

Jensen writes that the team will need a “dramatic turn” in order to avoid a blackout.

The “dramatic turn” likely won’t come in the form of a fat-cat corporate sponsor that buys up all the extra seats and distributes them to the children of Travis Henry.

“They’re in the same boat as everybody else,” Vikings V.P. of sales and marketing Steve LaCroix said. “It’s the start of a new quarter in a very tough financial and economic environment. There’s no one that’s going to come in and save the day at this point. When you have this many seats still available, it ends up being a pretty expensive proposition. As that [number of unsold tickets] starts to really tighten down, maybe we can have something like that happen. But at this point, there’s nothing lined up.”

Eagles fans represent one potential source of ticket sales. But the Vikings don’t want them.

Said LaCroix, according to the Philadelphia Inquirer: “You need to remind them that it was 8 below this morning, so maybe that will help keep them away. They’re promoting ‘Come to Minnesota, turn the purple stadium green,’ and obviously we want to counter that and make sure we maintain our home-field advantage.” (Yeah, those empty seats are really intimidating.)

The Vikings received on Wednesday a one-day extension of the deadline for selling the tickets, from 4:30 p.m. EST Thursday to the same time on Friday. It’s possible that the Vikings will receive another extension, pushing the deadline to 4:30 p.m. EST on Saturday, given that the Cardinals received just such an extension earlier today.

Whether Eagles fans help to ensure that the game will be televised in Minnesota remains to be seen. For folks in Philly, however, there’s a much, much smaller sense of urgency; regardless of whether another ticket or all of them sells, they’ll see the game.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

Archived