Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did you support Mark Brunell in 2006?

No Excuses

Mark Brunell in 2006 posted the following stats in 9 games he started:

1789 yards, 8 TD's, 4 INT's, a QB rating of 86.5. Brunell averaged 6.9 yards per pass. This averages out to:

.8 TD's a game.

.4 INT's a game

198 yards per game

His season projections would have been:

3180 yards, 13 TD's, 6 INT's

I clearly remember people wanted Brunell's head on a stick that season, blaming him for the teams futile offense. People called him "noodle arm", stated that his career was over and complained every time he threw short of the first down marker. We had a miserable record because our defense was pretty bad itself.

Now look at Campbell this year:

3089 yards, 12 TD's, 6 INT's, 6.5 yards per pass, 84.3 QB rating.

Season averages:

205 yards per game

.8 TD per game

.4 INT per game

Again here are Brunells in his much maligned season:

.8 TD's a game.

.4 INT's a game

198 yards per game

What's sad is that people ragged on Brunell for having a noodle arm and being old and washed up yet he had a better yards per pass than Campbell that year. I'm not a Colt Brennan supporter but I think Campbell despite being in a first year offense has not played to the level a first round pick like him should. I'm not in support of a sudden change but Campbell should have a total of 5-8 games to prove his worth to this franchise next year. But those who are in complete support of him, did you give the same to Brunell in 06 without calling him expletives, noodle arm and washed up? Because the numbers for Campbell and Brunell are right on par with each others and Campbell is as much dink and dunk as him.

HTTR :helmet::logo:

Thanks for the post, it's something I've said in some threads of late. Comparing the actual stats from that year to Campbell's from this year. And true, the D was pretty bad but hell, it just seems like they want to give the guy excuses and tell us how he's the X__rated QB in the league or has a 80+ rating or some such.

nevermind averaging 10+ points over, what, 8 games now? No, QB has NOTHING to do with that. Nothing at all, even when handed the ball on the 40+ yard line or in enemy territory.

Nah, I didn't support Brunell and was one of those who wanted to see what we had in JC. Now that I know what we have now (a waste of a 1st round pick), I am really depressed right now. I pray the light does come on for JC soon, but I am really getting sick of the apologists on this board with every excuse as to why JC is the man for this offense or this team....it's the oline, WR's not getting separation, running wrong routes, it's the new playbook, new system, heck it's the bad weather.

The point is JC shoulders the majority of the blame as to why this team sucks on offense. He makes bad decisions with the ball too much, makes bad throws and locks on to one reciever too many times. Sigh!!!

Never supported Gibbs' baby.

As for the numbers comparison to JC, JC has upside Brunell never did.

Now if you believe that there is no upside to JC and what you see is what you get, then by all means bash away like we all did with Brunell. I've seen enough ability in JC, when he has time, to still support him.

For me, next year is the year in which he sinks or swims. It'll be year two of Zorn's offense and he should have a better command of it.

Nah, I didn't support Brunell and was one of those who wanted to see what we had in JC. Now that I know what we have now (a waste of a 1st round pick), I am really depressed right now. I pray the light does come on for JC soon, but I am really getting sick of the apologists on this board with every excuse as to why JC is not the man for this offense or this team....it's the oline, WR's not getting separation, running wrong routes, it's the new playbook, new system, heck it's the bad weather.

The point is JC shoulders the majority of the blame as to why this team sucks on offense. He makes bad decisions with the ball too much, makes bad throws and locks on to one reciever too many times. Sigh!!!

Pretty much dead on. I was tired of Brunell, and I'm tired of Campbell right now. I DO believe he should be given next season to prove he can do something in this system, but after that, I think it's time to cut our losses.

The thing of it is alot of us tend to forget that awful season, one of Coach Gibbs' worst as a head coach. This was the year that Skins fans thought the best was to come as we picked up Antwan Randle El from the Steelers who was fresh off a Super Bowl win the Steelers. This was also the year that we picked up the biggest bust in Skins history in that of Adam Archuletta. Our '06 Draft was a good one as we have three players that are still big players on the team in '08 in Rocky McIntosh who replaced the just released Lavar Arrington who fizzled out for the Gmen, Kedric Golston, and Anthony Montgomey. I remember well that year when Campbell made his debut against the Bucs right around Thanksgiving and the first pass he through was an incomplete to Moss that sailed about 70 yards. It was then that I knew that JC was going to be our future.

Two weeks before the Bucs game was the game at FedEX when Sean Taylor picked up the blocked FG attempt against the Cowboys and ran us into a 47 yard Nick Novak FG that won 22-19. People thought we were going to come back but we ended up getting our asses handed to us the next week against Philly. JC became QB and has been since then.

Mark Brunell may not make it into the Hall of Fame but he will definitely get some Redskins votes for his performance from '05. We drafted JC to become our QB of the future and that is just what he is going to be. JC paid his dues and now is at the helm. Did I support Brunell in '06? You damn right, I will be a Redskins till I die and a Redskins for life.

Hail to the Redskins,

Hail to victory,

Campbell is our quaterback,

TD to Moss and Cooley!!!!

Now if you believe that there is no upside to JC

Brunell was selected in the FIFTH round of the 93 draft. By 1996 at age 26, Brunell was voted to the Pro Bowl and had thrown for 4300+ yards with a 7.8 YPA average and a 9-7 record and a conference championship appearance. Oh, he did that while being sacked 50 times.

Though I'll provide a more detailed analysis, there's simply nothing to suggest that it takes a 'second year' in a system, as much as it takes until the fourth season in the league to deliver. Unfortunately, this IS Jason's fourth year in the league and he's 27. It's not IMPOSSIBLE for next year to be a banner year but it's not likely at all based on my initial findings. A first rounder should be ahead of a fifth rounder, regardless of system except for the fact that Brunell was a superior QB in his prime. If we're waiting on a second-tier Brunell to develop that's not exactly worth sacrificing multiple seasons on (we should have picked up a veteran QB for THIS year instead of HOPING Jason showed something that he didn't.)

Thinking we had a 'set' QB situation, we foreclosed on the Pennington/Brees/Garcia options.

Now if you believe that there is no upside to JC and what you see is what you get, then by all means bash away like we all did with Brunell. I've seen enough ability in JC, when he has time, to still support him.

For me, next year is the year in which he sinks or swims. It'll be year two of Zorn's offense and he should have a better command of it.

Completely agree with this post. I said when Zorn was hired that we wouldn't know until midway through the 09-10 season what Campbell truly had and could do in this offense. I stand by that. If we're still getting the same around the midway point of next season then yeah, it'll be time for a change.

I did support Brunell, mainly because the defense was a much MUCH larger concern that year. We would have won some games that year with Brunell (more so Portis and Betts) if the defense could have stopped someone.

This year, the O-line has done NOTHING for Campbell. Try fixing that before you toss away a QB with good potential.

Good thread, I did not realize how close there stats where. I liked Brunell and thought hew played great in 05 but you could tell he was done in 06. I am not a Campbell basher but I am running out of faith that this guy is going to be our franchise Qb. I am willing to give him the start of next season to show he is taking the next level but if we continue to see the same Qb play out of him I am done with him.

This year, the O-line has done NOTHING for Campbell. Try fixing that before you toss away a QB with good potential.

I am not sure I agree that the O-line has been a huge issue, they have had problems this year thats for sure but they have given him time. When Todd Collins came in last year he had a worse offensive line than Campbell did this year, he had Fabini at guard and Heyer at tackle the entire time he started. The difference is Collins read defenses and got rid of the ball quickly something Campbell does not do consistently. Like Doc Walker was saying on the radio nobody in the NFL is going to have perfect protection every single down its just not going to happen.

The stats look alike, but that's about as far as it goes. Many posters here supported Brunell because he had already proven to be a decent NFL QB in Jacksonville. It's not like Jason has proven anything.

Definitely two totally different ends of the specturm trying to compare Jason's 2008 with Brunell's 2006. Brunell was on the decline, and Jason is supposed to be getting better.

If Campbell does not "get" our system by the end of his first season in it than there is something wrong. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt here and give him 3 games next season before I start calling to put him on the bench.

If there are 3 games next season that resemble how awful he has played this season I will call to bench him. Even if they are 3 wins in the wrong fashion. I don't want a 10-7, 13-10, 7-3 start to our season next year.

We need somebody at the helm who can put more than 14 points on the board on a consistent basis. The problem lies in either Campbell or Zorn and I would have to reason that the problem lies in Campbell because he performed just as uninspiring football when Joe Gibbs was the head coach.

So there you go Campbell... you have 3 games. You have 3 games to prove that you can be more than you have been for the past 2 1/3 seasons.

Funny, because all the lame excuses the apologists give for JC start with the over-used, tired excuse of him being in a new system and the o-line.

In '06 MB was in his first year of an offense that was known by ALL of the experts to be one of the toughest systems to master, and a system that was supposed to take two years for the offense to truly get. Also, in '06, our line was so much worse than the line we have today. It was desimated from the beginning with injuries, and we had NO youth to come in to play back up.

Yet, JC is given the benefit because he's in a new system (half a new system, that he has played in a version of before and is by no means as hard to grasp as Saunders') and has a better o-line than MB. It just shows the naivety and the bs of the apologists.

Stats don't tell the whole story.

Campbell is also just getting started in this league.

If you like comparing QB stats I think there is one comparing Campbell's early stats to ShEli's. Go check that thread out.

If 27 and fourth season in is just getting started in this league, then I'm just getting started in life. Come on, man.

Eli had led them to 11-5 one year and after an 8-8 year, he was Super Bowl MVP...in HIS FOURTH SEASON (at age 26.)

Jason hasn't done anything remotely like lead a team to the playoffs, win SB MVP, nor is he 'just getting started.'

if 27 and fourth season in is just getting started in this league, then i'm just getting started in life. Come on, man.

Eli had led them to 11-5 one year and after an 8-8 year, he was super bowl mvp...in his fourth season (at age 26.)

jason hasn't done anything remotely like lead a team to the playoffs, win sb mvp, nor is he 'just getting started.'

qft

Yes and when they benched Brunell in favor of Cambell I knew our season was a bust so why not see what the young guy could do. We all knew that it wasn't going to be so pretty at first.There would be times when JC would look good and times when he wouldn't..we had to be patient....................................I'm all out of patience with JC. I can admit he has improved in not turning the ball over. I see many of the SAME issues that has plagued him since he's been in the NFL. IMHO JC is NOT capable of running the WCO. The F.O is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole and it ain't workin'. Either find a qb who fits the WCO or change the offense to Gibbs smashmouth offense..where I believe JC would be more effective.

I find it so damn funny(hypocritical) all the insults,classless jokes,booing Mark Brunell endured here. HE GOT ALL THE BLAME. Now 3 years later JC is starting to get THAT SAME HEAT he gets all kinds of excuses made for him about why he HAS YET to take that step to be a good quarterback. B-Mitch and Czban (sp?) EVERY WEEK on PGL took such joy in trying to get Brunell to say he stunk and he was the problem and he should step aside.Now that JC has pretty much peaked at his potential. B- Mitch gives him all kinds of passes it's the play calling, it's Jim Zorn handcuffing JC,(same argument ppl said about Gibbs yet when Collins came in last year that and all the other excuses went out the window) it's the O-line, it's the receiver,it's Clinton Portis' shoe color. Never is it poor QB play against low rate defenses such as the Bengals,Lions,Browns,Rams. Yet B-Mitch "keeps it real". People go on and on at how Joe Gibbs/Dan Synder coodled /coodles Portis but seems to me people who claim to be objective have a MAJOR hard on for JC and won't say he sucks when he does.It's excuse after excuse. In actuality I must say JC is coodled and sheltered from "the mean fans" WAY MORE than CP EVER HAS.

Jim Zorn comes in as a rookie head coach and was said to be on the "hot seat" because of how the season turned out. The receivers both vets and rookies are expected to learn another offense and excute it perfectly.Yet JC .... again gets the free pass.

Hell look at the other qb's in our division they taken alot of heat rightly or wrongly and the media is all over it.Romo sits to pee/McNabb can't win the big one.Then what does that say about JC? he can't even LEAD HIS at a chance to make the wildcard or playoffs. You would think that JC is a rookie his damn self.

If 27 and fourth season in is just getting started in this league, then I'm just getting started in life. Come on, man.

Eli had led them to 11-5 one year and after an 8-8 year, he was Super Bowl MVP...in HIS FOURTH SEASON (at age 26.)

Jason hasn't done anything remotely like lead a team to the playoffs, win SB MVP, nor is he 'just getting started.'

Love your sig man...Now that's a Quarterback:cheers:

I knew Brunell was going to flame out. I actually thought that Jacksonville knew when Brunell was done but Gibbs thought he could get more miles out of him. Brunell helped Joe with a medical emergency in the pre-season and they automatically bonded. Also Parcells knew that Jason Taylor was no longer in his prime this year. But he also knew Vinny would take the bait and give him some draft picks for Taylor and pay his 8 million dollar salary. When we enter free agency are we going to ask ourselves-why doesn't the current team want this guy?? Before we think of signing him!!

Het, Harry, quit makin' so much racket. Me and the guys got a problem here we're tryin' to fix. OK, guys, let's just make sure I have this right.

Same Offensive Line.

Different receivers.

Different QB.

Different coach.

Offense still stinks.

OK. We drafted 3 new receivers and we tried Lloyd. Hmm, offense still stinks. Can't be that. OK. We changed coaches. Still stinks. Can't be that. Changed QB's from Brunell to Campbell. Still stinks. Can't be that.

Hey Harry, do you remember what we did when Ramsey was here and the offense was stinking the joint up? [Harry mumbles something unintelligible...] Oh, OK, so let's see. From Ramsey to Brunell, what was going on again?

Same Offensive Line.

Tried a different coach, offense still stinks.

Tried a different QB, still stinkee.

Didn't we bring in those two new WR's, Harry, about then? Moss and Randy El or somethin'? [Harry mumbles something else.] Yep, still stinkeroo.

Well gee, guys I'm outta ideas. I think we traded out all the movin' parts but we still have one stinkin' offense.

[Harry mumbles again.]What's that, Harry? Somethin' 'bout the Big and Tall Men's store?

Hey, guys, here's a thought. Let's try a new OL. Has anybody thought of that? We traded out everything else. What do you think? Harry says he saw Vinny down at the Big and Tall Men's store lookin' for a few big guys. You think that might help? Guys?

[is this sarcasm meter working?]

Their numbers may be similar but when Brunell struggled he just plained sucked. JC put up numbers in the early part of the year that would blow away Brunell's stats. Even on a bad day for JC he would throw for 225 yards, a TD and maybe 2 INT's. People need to get into their heads that JC will be the QB in Washington for a long time to come.

Archived