Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did you support Mark Brunell in 2006?

No Excuses

No, I didn't support noodle-arm, just as I don't support Candle.

Why dont you support your favorite team's quarterback? Why do you hope that they suck and lose the game? Doesnt make sense to me. Im going to root for whoever the coaches put on the field because I have no control about it and the Skins are my favorite team and I want them to win. I dont neccesarily like Barack Obama (I didnt like McCain either) but hes going to be the President and I support him because I dont want the country to go down the crapper.

I still don't get what's so wrong with supporting the most important player on your favorite football team.

There is nothing wrong with supporting a player on your favorite team, however supporting a player at the detriment of my favorite football team is when we've got issues ala Brunell and now looking like Campbell....just saying.

I didn't like him in Jacksonville, I thought it was preposterous when he was given the job over Ramsey and then when Ramsey lost the job to an injury it was just shameful. On my list of favorite Redskins QBs, I think i rate him below Kerry Conklin and Jeff George. He was a joke and I'm glad he's gone.

I still don't get what's so wrong with supporting the most important player on your favorite football team.

Supporting those who help you win and those who are a detriment to winning?

I root for the team and not the players. Right now Campbell isn't helping this TEAM. He has until the middle of next season to prove that he can put up better numbers than a washed up 36 year old backup QB.

I root for the team and not the players. Right now Campbell isn't helping this TEAM. He has until the middle of next season to prove that he can put up better numbers than a washed up 36 year old backup QB.

It's not even about the numbers...it's about leading this team to victories.....that's what i want to see. Coming back in the 4th quarter, all chips are down, 1 minute left, yeah I want him to be that guy to lead us to victory. He has NEVER done that for us . Heck, even Brunell brought us back against the Cowboys.

There's a little secret about Campbell, and a secret about a lot of QBs.

A lot of QBs aren't asked to put up great numbers, as much as you might like the QB of your team to do that.

Nope.

They're asked to lead their team to Ws in the win column. That's the stat that matters. That's why (in part, obviously I know some of the other reasons) Trent Dilfer is a Super Bowl MVP. What was different between the two Eagles games that were played? In the first one, many analysts and viewers felt that our offense played well. Few would say that about the second game. I guess this was all part of Campbell's famed regression. After all, we were 6-2 and looking good through 8, and the fall of the offense continued last week, and it's en vogue to say this can easily be blamed on Campbell right?

Or...

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=5128

Washington only got 144 passing yards and gave up three sacks, although they were playing against the league’s second-best pass defense (even though they still give up an average of 180 yards) and third-best sacking defense (with 44). The performance wasn’t much worse than their first game against the Eagles, where Jason Campbell threw for 176 yards and was sacked once.

The difference in the two games?

Washington ran for 203 yards and converted 57% of their third downs in the first meeting, on their way to 388 yards of total offense. In the second meeting? 122 rushing yards (still not shabby) but only 249 total yards. There’s no better measure of how much this offense has fallen off the tracks, and the reason why the Redskins scored 23 points the first time around and only 10 in this meeting.

And keep in mind that Campbell's scrambling makes up 28 of those rushing yards (on 2 scrambles). So the Skins really rushed for less than 100 yards without that.

A lot of QBs aren't asked to put up great numbers, as much as you might like the QB of your team to do that.

Nope.

They're asked to lead their team to Ws in the win column. That's the stat that matters. That's why (in part, obviously I know some of the other reasons) Trent Dilfer is a Super Bowl MVP. What was different between the two Eagles games that were played? In the first one, many analysts and viewers felt that our offense played well. Few would say that about the second game. I guess this was all part of Campbell's famed regression. After all, we were 6-2 and looking good through 8, and the fall of the offense continued last week, and it's en vogue to say this can easily be blamed on Campbell right?

Or...

And keep in mind that a 33 yard run by Campbell on one play is a big chunk of that 122 for the second game. Take that out, you're left with 89 for the game.

Campbell is a first round pick in his fourth year. We traded multiple picks to acquire him. You don't do that and then say "some QB's are not expected to put up great numbers". When you invest so much in a player, you expect him to be better than a 36 year old washed up back up QB.

and btw Trent Dilfer is a horrible example. The guy had one of the most dominant defenses in NFL history to support him.

Campbell is a first round pick in his fourth year. We traded multiple picks to acquire him. You don't do that and then say "some QB's are not expected to put up great numbers". When you invest so much in a player, you expect him to be better than a 36 year old washed up back up QB.

and btw Trent Dilfer is a horrible example. The guy had one of the most dominant defenses in NFL history to support him.

It wan't illustrated as anything more than the fact that not all QBs are asked to be the key ingredient in a win. Some teams lean a bit more on their running game. Most teams lean at least somewhat on their offensive line.

That team leaned ridiculously on their defense, and amazingly their defense was able to shoulder that burden.

I don't want to get into another Campbell debate in yet another thread. I'll merely say that I thought your statistics were interesting, and say that yes I supported Brunell back then. The reason is because, I never thought he was being asked by the coaching staff to do more than he was. In Campbell's case, I think he IS being asked sometimes to do more, but I also think they think he's going to grow more into the system he's learning, AND that their gameplan changed due to injuries and a lack of personnel (things out of Campbell's and the coach's control).

There's your answer. Not the same situation at all, really, even though I supported both - it is/was for different reasons.

Nope.

Or...

And keep in mind that Campbell's scrambling makes up 28 of those rushing yards (on 2 scrambles). So the Skins really rushed for less than 100 yards without that.

In the 9 games he played that year, Dilfer threw for as many TDs as Jason has thrown for in 15 :doh:

...and as far as your statement: 'They're asked to lead their team to Ws in the win column." goes...there are two fatal flaws. A) Campbell has shown ZERO leadership, and B) not losing games isn't exactly winning games. If he is called upon to win a game, we're screwed. He dosn't win games, period. The only time this offense even breaks the 50 yard line is if the D gets a rare turnover or Moss or Cartwright have a decent return. Otherwise, Campbell isn't even sniffing the redzone.

He takes way too long to go through his progressions, he's not making his reads (completely oblivious to people streaking down the field), he won't throw the ball unless his receivers have a 10 yard cushion and he has the leadership skills of a gnat. He doesn't motivate anyone in the huddle, nor does he inspire confidence. His only goal is to not turn over the ball, which is pretty easy when you just don't throw the ball.

In the 9 games he played that year, Dilfer threw for as many TDs as Jason has thrown for in 15 :doh:

...and as far as your statement: 'They're asked to lead their team to Ws in the win column." goes...there are two fatal flaws. A) Campbell has shown ZERO leadership, and B) not losing games isn't exactly winning games. If he is called upon to win a game, we're screwed. He dosn't win games, period. The only time this offense even breaks the 50 yard line is if the D gets a rare turnover or Moss or Cartwright have a decent return. Otherwise, Campbell isn't even sniffing the redzone.

He takes way too long to go through his progressions, he's not making his reads (completely oblivious to people streaking down the field), he won't throw the ball unless his receivers have a 10 yard cushion and he has the leadership skills of a gnat. He doesn't motivate anyone in the huddle, nor does he inspire confidence. His only goal is to not turn over the ball, which is pretty easy when you just don't throw the ball.

I like how A) gets trumpeted around by you guys, it's cool how this site has so many players who know how good of a leader he is. Oh wait, you are just making judgments based on his demeanor in press conferences, and the fact that he doesn't run around and do exaggerated actions when the camera is on him like the great leader Ray Lewis. You guys mistake what you see on camera for some kind of evidence that it isn't. I would take the players' word for it, and to this point I've heard nothing to suggest what you guys say is true. But keep spouting words without evidence (unless you have something I haven't seen, in which case I'm all ears - or eyes as I guess is more likely on the board here).

Some of your other comments are just nonsense. "when you just don't throw the ball" - take a look at Campbell's attempts and YPA compared to Eli and explain this comment again? Oh that's right you can't because you just like to say things.

Eli- attempts: 460 YPA: 6.8

Jason- attempts: 476 YPA: 6.5

So clearly he's throwing, and clearly he's being safe with the ball. I'm not saying that's always the right thing to do, and I gather that it's something that Zorn will work on with Campbell. There have been little comments here and there from Zorn about receivers who he felt Campbell could throw to, but Campbell was worried to throw to. Unlike a lot of you though, Zorn actually understands that it's something that can be worked on.

I'm with many on this board saying, let Campbell have some of 2009 and see where we're at. I liked where we were at 6-2, and I think we can be there again particularly if we can get our OLine bulked up in the offseason.

Yes I supported MB...and I will continue to support JC just like all of the players on the Redskins. It is pretty sad to see true fans continue to toss players under the bus when things don’t go their way, and praise the next QB until he has a few bad games. I can’t remember anytime over the past 8-10 years that we “Redskin” fans haven’t cried for a change in QB. He has had a solid year under his belt, some tangibles skill he must build on in the off season, and I am confident he will get better providing he does have a line to stand behind. Is JC the future? I can only give you three promises 1) the sun will rise tomorrow and 2) you will pay taxes, and 3) I will always support the Redskins regardless who is on the team or not.

A lot of you are saying " I'll give him this many games next season" Based on his performance this year I do not believe he deserves to be the unquestioned starter heading into next year. The right thing for Zorn to do is to have an open QB competition next training camp through the preseason. I bet JC would not only not win it, but he may very well be the 3rd best Qb on this roster

Never supported Gibbs' baby.

As for the numbers comparison to JC, JC has upside Brunell never did.

Now if you believe that there is no upside to JC and what you see is what you get, then by all means bash away like we all did with Brunell. I've seen enough ability in JC, when he has time, to still support him.

For me, next year is the year in which he sinks or swims. It'll be year two of Zorn's offense and he should have a better command of it.

Agreed

The major difference between Brunell and Campbell is Brunell was old and Campbell is young. I don't think I ever called for Brunell to be benched in favor of Campbell, and I left it up to the coaches since they know more than anyone here. Though few here seem to really believe that.

I didn't like him in Jacksonville, I thought it was preposterous when he was given the job over Ramsey and then when Ramsey lost the job to an injury it was just shameful. On my list of favorite Redskins QBs, I think i rate him below Kerry Conklin and Jeff George. He was a joke and I'm glad he's gone.

He lost his job in 2005 when Brunell went on to have a pretty good year and take us to the playoffs. I'd say that was a good decision.

I never wanted Brunell here in the first place and I would not have picked Campbell in the draft because I weight mechanics highly and his were poor. But, I applaud Jason's hard work and Zorn's expertise in changing his mechanics. He was a different QB this season, obviously a better one.

I think Jason will get better next year. He may never become a grade A QB, but he's probably the best we have.

As for Colt, he's raw. His mechanics are poor and he hasn't had enough reps to learn the scheme.

Yes i did.

We changed the system on him when we didn't need to but all we need was playmakers. We should have allowed JC to run the Gibbs 2005 system with the added weapons

The Coryell scheme is out of fashion. It's more dynamic than the WCO, but it requires a dominant O line to allow it to function. NFL rules aimed at parity make it tough to build and keep a dominant O line.

As usual, only the stats that make someones argument look good are put out there for everyone to see. How about let's show the most important stat of all...

Mark Brunell was sacked 12 times in 2006.

Jason Campbell has been sacked 37 times in 2008, with one game left to go.

Mark Brunell had the best pass-blocking offensive line that year, being sacked less than any starting QB in the league.

Only 3 QB have been sacked more than Jason Campbell this season.

No question that a few of those can be attribute to holding the ball for too long, but at least Brunell had the time to be able to LOOK downfield. Campbell has been lucky to have that opportunity 2 or 3 times a game.

The point here is that Brunell had the offense to make plays downfield. No, he didn't have the best receivers, but at least there was time to look downfield. (and you can't tell me nobody was EVER open downfield).

Seriously, I'm tired of bringing up that bust Ramsey, would we have made the Play-Offs in '05 with Patrick Happy-Feet Ramsey? The Fact that Ramsey can't beat out career back-ups shows how big of a bust he was, I guess the Ramsey Lovers enjoyed Pick-Sixes when Ramsey panicked. Yes I supported Brunnell until it became obvious that he was finished physically and that a hurt Brunnell played like garbage. I want to give Campbell time, but he needs to show that he is getting the system. I'll give him the fact that the O-Line is bad this year, but if we rebuild our lines and Campbell still is playing like he is now, me might have to move on

Archived