Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP/JLC: Hall, Kendall Hope to Return

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/12/hall_kendall_hope_to_return.html#more

Hall, Kendall Hope to Return

Dan Steinberg reports:

With the end of the season approaching, the Redskins' potential free agents are beginning to deal with questions from the media about the future. DeAngelo Hall and Pete Kendall both discussed their contract status at length today and expressed a desire to stay in Washington.

"I feel comfortable," Hall said of the team's defensive scheme. "I like it. I like it a lot. I think a lot of other guys might not like it, but I like it a lot. After coming from Oakland, you'll like pretty much anything."

Jason La Canfora reported earlier today that the team has begun preliminary contract negotiations with Hall, and he reiterated today his wish to remain with the franchise.

"They have to sit down and figure out in their front office if I'm who they want," Hall said. "They might say "˜Hey, he's a great player, but he doesn't fit in here,' and if that's the case, everything I've done from the point I left Oakland 'til now is my audition tape. I'm not gonna slack off or anything like that, I'm not gonna go harder, I'm gonna play the same way I've been playing. I wouldn't have came here if I thought it was just gonna be for eight games. You know, I came here with the intent and the mindset that I was gonna be here for a long time. And that's kind of the approach I've been taking. I'm not gonna sit in here when the game's over Monday and clean out my locker and hope to get out of here. Nah. I'm gonna leave everything in there hoping I'm back. That's kind of the approach I'm taking."

Kendall praised the organization and said he think the team could be primed for a playoff run in '09 and would like to be a part of it...

Click link for full story

What do you think Hall meant when he said:

"I feel comfortable," Hall said of the team's defensive scheme. "I like it. I like it a lot. I think a lot of other guys might not like it, but I like it a lot."

People on the team, or people not even on the team may not like the scheme? Seems like a pretty CB friendly scheme. I'm confused.

I think he's referring to guys who have had their PT diminished moreso than anything.

He could also be referring to guys like Jason Taylor who have had to drastically change the way they've played their entire career to fit in to this system. Who knows.

He could also be referring to guys like Jason Taylor who have had to drastically change the way they've played their entire career to fit in to this system. Who knows.

I think Blache is going to start using Jason Taylor like he did in the Philly game. That was the first game all year I saw him line up at LB and all over the line for most of the game and it paid off. That's exactly how he was utilized in Miami and it was very effective.

Taylor seemed to be very happy about it and Blache expressed his wishes to have Jason come back again and I agree, I want to see him back...especially if Blache utilizes him like that.

But to the OP...I'd like both to return. I didn't like the Hall signing at first but he proved me wrong and I'm glad.

And I think we should keep Kendall. He's been a bright spot on that OL. Even if we draft a guard, we can groom him and keep Kendall out there for another year, it wouldn't hurt anything...unless we draft Duke Robinson.

I read that line as other CBs in the league might not like playing in the aggressive, man cover scheme he plays in that puts so much pressure and responsibility on the CBs. That's all I took out of it.

That was my interpretation too. Not all CBs are cut out to play in that type of scheme.

I read that line as other CBs in the league might not like playing in the aggressive, man cover scheme he plays in that puts so much pressure and responsibility on the CBs. That's all I took out of it.
That was my interpretation too. Not all CBs are cut out to play in that type of scheme.
That's what I picked up too.

Yup, same here.

. And a much as I like him I wouldn't give the moon, just a piece of it. I'd like to see us negotiate well and continue to put those "who cares about the $$$" days behind us as a sign we're still on the road to intelligent change.

I'd be stupid not to want Hall to return, though as Jumbo says, for a fair price. I would like Kendall to return as well. He has played solidly this year and while he is going to be another year older, he can provide invaluable depth, and probably start another full season if he is needed to. I would no doubt like to infuse some youth into this line, but that won't happen overnight, so I feel it is best to keep what we have intact as well as possible until a full transition is completed.

I think Blache is going to start using Jason Taylor like he did in the Philly game. That was the first game all year I saw him line up at LB and all over the line for most of the game and it paid off. That's exactly how he was utilized in Miami and it was very effective.

Taylor seemed to be very happy about it and Blache expressed his wishes to have Jason come back again and I agree, I want to see him back...especially if Blache utilizes him like that.

Agreed. I'm all for re-signing D.Hall (I would love to get this jersey) and Pete Kendall.

As much as I think the OL stinks, we don't have enough draft pickes to replace all 5 of them and get their backups. Kendall and the others should stay, but we need to start drafting their repacements pronto.

Hall is a no-brainer. Keep him. He earned his spot through his good play. Don't go crazy, but he wants to be here and we need him.

As much as I think the OL stinks, we don't have enough draft pickes to replace all 5 of them and get their backups. Kendall and the others should stay, but we need to start drafting their repacements pronto.

Hall is a no-brainer. Keep him. He earned his spot through his good play. Don't go crazy, but he wants to be here and we need him.

Well, Kendall's replacement is already on the roster (Rinehart). Kendall still has a lot of value to this team even if he doesn't start from the standpoint that he can back up all the positions on the O-line. More than likely, the main guy who will be the odd man out if we draft another young guy will probably be Fabini.

I would like Kendall to return as well. He has played solidly this year and while he is going to be another year older, he can provide invaluable depth, and probably start another full season if he is needed to. I would no doubt like to infuse some youth into this line, but that won't happen overnight, so I feel it is best to keep what we have intact as well as possible until a full transition is completed.

And I think we should keep Kendall. He's been a bright spot on that OL. Even if we draft a guard, we can groom him and keep Kendall out there for another year, it wouldn't hurt anything...unless we draft Duke Robinson.

I completely agree. I think Kendall has been a great LG for us. I have no idea why some are suggesting he take a pay cut though?? He's worth whatever he makes IMO, especially when you consider guys like Griffin, Springs, Betts, and (I love the guy but...) ARE.

I completely agree. I think Kendall has been a great LG for us. I have no idea why some are suggesting he take a pay cut though?? He's worth whatever he makes IMO, especially when you consider guys like Griffin, Springs, Betts, and (I love the guy but...) ARE.

Springs and ARE are must-goes. Seriously. Probably Griffin as well. Betts isn't being paid like that and is a quality backup for a RB who def needs a backup.

Archived