Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Redskins Players Cooling To Zorn

Horatio

Uh oh:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/12/11/redskins-players-cooling-to-zorn/

As if the recent outburst from running back Clinton Portis wasn’t enough to suggest that something is amiss with the Redskins, we’ve been told that multiple players are developing a sour taste in their mouths regarding the team’s first-year head coach, Jim Zorn.

Per a league source, the players perceive an attitude from Zorn that, when the team wins a game, it’s because of Zorn. And that when they lose a game, it’s because of the players.

The sense is that Zorn views himself as an elite coach after less than a year on the job — and despite a dramatic dip in the team’s performance after an unexpectedly strong start that had owner Dan Snyder whooping it up after back-to-back road wins against the Cowboys and the Eagles.

Where this leads, we’re not yet sure. When Zorn was hired, there was a sense that he possibly would be a one-year stop-gap until Snyder could lure Bill Cowher to town. (Indeed, Cowher has since confirmed that he was contacted by the Redskins in January.) After the ‘Skins began to soar under Zorn, however, the notion that he’d be a short-timer dissipated significantly.

But now that the team is at 7-6 and in last place in the NFC East, anything short of running the table and qualifying for the postseason could result in a major shake-up in D.C.

It wouldn’t be the first time that Snyder pulled the plug after only one year. He did it to Marty Schottenheimer following the 2001 season, which given Schottenheimer’s strong relationship with Cowher could make Cowher reluctant to do business with the organization.

Yeah, I guess Zorn was taking all the praise when he credited Portis for calling the game clinching play against the Eagles. I don’t know a lot of first year coaches who have said publicly that let a player call a crucial play.

We need a win on Sunday to silence these idiots.

How can you call this BS? You hear it every week from the horse's mouth. According to Zorn, all of our offensive woes are due to a lack of execution by the players and not with the scheme.
He might be right. I am sure the scheme doesn't call for two false starts and a procedural penalty on one play.

How can you call this BS? You hear it every week from the horse's mouth. According to Zorn, all of our offensive woes are due to a lack of execution by the players and not with the scheme.

Oh for f***'s sake, we know why the offense is having problems. You can see it weekly right there on the TV....We have no effective offensive line to stop a pash rush. Without that, NOTHING in your offense will work.

The blame lies with the man who decides what personnel he needs to have to win games...the head coach.

Zorn hasn't been perfect, but he hasn't been all bad either. When we were winning games, he was a genius. He took a few risks, trusted his players to get the job done, but now he appears to be caving in to pressure. He can't let that happen. 7-6 is not great, but it is too soon for anyone to be calling for his resignation.

Until I hear Mort or Clayton say Coach Zorn is done...I am not buying it. If we lose Sunday though...all bets are off.

people diss PFT and then rely on Mort, who has been shakey at best in recent years.

PFT is not automatically fact, but lets face it - it gets stuff right a lot more than most.

whenever PFT posts something good about the Redskins, it gets people excited. Something bad? it must be agenda-driven BS.

this specific article i guess is not really news, but at the same time i take it to be just as or more credible than anything out of John Clayton's mouth.

its like everyone thinks they are supposed to immediatly disbelieve anything frmo PFT b/c they are 'the national inquirer of the nfl,' but there are few examples.

has pft.com gotten things wrong? of course, but so has everyone else at times, and pft.com has always been open about retracting stories.

Cowher is not coming here. So, fans need to chill with that. This is what happens when a team goes through a slump. Fans start finger pointing, media outlets catch on, and feed off each other. Its ridiculous. Its time to move on.

A slump? lol. More like a ****ing disaster. Tell me we are still in a slump at the end of the season. A slump, lol, get the **** outta here!

This concept of the players wanting Zorn to go is absolutley ridiculous to me. Zorn installs his playbook early in the year, and THEY WIN. I credit Zorn BIGTIME for that because he came in and changed the offense and had other teams guessing.

Then the annual line problems started, and he was forced to simplify his offense and go into "crisis mode" in order to try and win games. He is not able to call the plays he wants or run the offense in a way he knows will be effective. He has said this numerous times in interviews.

This is not Zorn's fault. This is an ongoing problem from the front office with a mentality of stop gap solutions and overpriced free agents that have kept this team in mediocrity for too many years. If Zorn is the problem, why have we had so many coaches in recent years who have had the same results?

Zorn is right. It IS execution, but its not because the players aren't trying, its that we have old players who can't physically compete anymore. I don't know how Dan Snyder is viewed in the locker room, but if the players really think its Zorn that's the problem then they deserve mediocrity. I cannot in my right mind think that the players want to go back to square one AGAIN next year with a new coach and system just because injuries and poor drafting selections over the past few years from the FO have prevented a first year coach from leading them to the playoffs on his first try.

I believe when Zorn talks about the lack of execution, he's aiming his criticism not at the players, but Snyder and Cerrato. How can we say his system isn't working when he hasn't been given the tools to put even it's most simple version into effect? Give him a chance. A REAL chance.

If indeed the players are calling for his job, then they are just plain misguided. Do they expect one person to come in and have everything magically click? We all know Snyder feels this way, but i cannot believe the players have been brainwashed by being in this horrifically run organization to such an extent that they feel that ZORN is the problem with this team.

They need to take a hard look at themselves and realize that this is not a championship level team being undermined by a bad head coach, and it will never be one unless they allow themselves the oportunity for consistency. Out of the gate, the simple version of Zorn's offense immediatley lifted the team. I call that a great foundation to build on. But unless the players are willing to struggle as a TEAM, to grow AS A TEAM, to not play the blame game and instead try and gel and exceed AS A TEAM, these years of mediocrity will continue in the same fashion.

The players DO need to be more vocal, but they need to direct it at the REAL problem with this organization, and it isn't Zorn. it's the Front Office. Unfortunatley, because it is such a wealthy organization filled with leftover overpriced free agents with no real team loyalty, I don't see anyone from the players side doing this in the near future.

The only way to fix it is to let your HEAD COACH run the team. Give him a chance to reorganize and cut the fat the way HE wants to, and trust that if he can get you 4 straight wins (including 2 road wins against division rivals) in his first year, using a simplified version of his offense with broken down players he had no choice in selecting, then he can certainly bring long term success in the future. If given a real chance.

Sorry for the ridic long post, apparently I'm not allowed to start new threads?

Archived