Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

EverQuest or World of WarCraft? (poll)

AsburySkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

EQ1 blows WoW out of the water, but it is 10 years old, and the amount of itme you would have to invest to even begin to think about being on even par with the others plaything that game is unfathomable.

I played EverQuest 1 for 4 years and was one of the top clerics on my server, and I was dedicated (10-16 hours a day) to get where I was, but being at the top is the best. That game made you work for every inch, when I played, they had "hell levels", which were levels were you gained experience twice as slow as non-hell levels, that...sucked...balls.... They took that out though and now it is easier to level.

The original few expansions for EQ were the best, Ruins of Kunark and Scars of velious are by far the best ones, and I really liked the Planes of Power. it was a tier based zone system, where you character had to be "flagged" to get into certain zones, and in order to be "flagged" one had to defeat the bosses of the lower tier zones to advance. I was one kill away from the Plane of Time (the hardest level in the entire game at that point) when I left.

EverQuest 2 is a lot of fun, much easier to level, but still includes some exp grinding, and again I was one of the better clerics on my server, but again, I had to put in my time. EQ2 is all about end game raiding and instances, as has been mentioned before, and it is only limited to 24 people per raid, so it is strategy based, and the encounters get RIDICULOUSLY hard. I am not sure how difficult would be to get caught up in that game, as I have not played in about a year and a half.

I refuse to touch WoW, when you can level to max in 2 days, the game is too easy, and it holds your hand too much, as does WoW. I don't want some 10 year old kid playing 20 hours a day for a week being able to keep up with me when I put in 5 hours a day and have been playing for a year.

So in place of spending hours killing critters in order to level, you spend hours repetitiously practicing a skill so your character gets better at it?

You spend hours fighting other people to gain skill. Screw the level grind. That's the lazy way out for developers.

Another Question: What is the difference between WoW and the expansion packs? I'm not sure that I understand what exactly the expansion packs do. I'm playing a trial account right now, is that on the standard WoW or is it part of an expansion pack? I just want to make sure that if I purchase WoW that I'm able to use the characters that I have now.

It's standard. After the 10 days are up you need to pay out to level up to 60 , then purchase both expansion packs.

The expansion packs are necessary since you need them to level up in the advanced stages. BC is a must , it offers 2 new classes of Draenei and Blood elf. The Lich King one isn't really needed until 70.

PS : If you purchase WoW you'll be able to use the character you created in the trial.

Don't waste your time with either one of them. Wait for Darkfall Online. No level grind......the game is skill based like UO was.

He speaks the truth, Darkfall Online is gonna kick major ass. Jan. 22nd release date in Europe....so hopefully it hits the US shortly after.

As for the thread question, I've never played EQ, but I've played WoW. My friend has an account and I have a 70 Warrior on his. It's a fun game and has lots to offer, but much like other MMO's, it can get repetitive.

Thanks ixcuincle.

I saw something odd last night. I'm on a Normal server with my trial which means you can't be attacked without giving permission to the other person and even then its a duel, but last night there were reports of large Horde raiding parties invading Darnassis (sp?), and in Westfall there was an orc and some other type of dark mage running around as some type of raiders, so I walked up to the lvl 70+ mage and typed "I fart in your general direction." I know, pretty immature but hey it was 2am. Still thought the idea of a raiding party on a normal server is a bit of an exercise in fail.

I played on Vallon Zek since release until about.. what.. 2002? I don't know. The EverQuest Emulator is still going strong, I suggest you play that if you want to play a free game. It's PvP (Player vs Player) though and you'll get your ass stomped as these guys have the knowledge that only comes with a decade of playing the same game. Warhammer is pretty sick; WoW has a few different levels to it. There's the casual, there's the normal PvE and then there's the hardcore where you spend about 4 hrs a day, then there is the PvP. Warhammer is more computer intensive than WoW. If you're going to play EverQuest play on the PvP emulator.

I do not suggest MMO's if you are just going to PvE. It gets boring, even at the cutting edge.

Thanks ixcuincle.

I saw something odd last night. I'm on a Normal server with my trial which means you can't be attacked without giving permission to the other person and even then its a duel, but last night there were reports of large Horde raiding parties invading Darnassis (sp?), and in Westfall there was an orc and some other type of dark mage running around as some type of raiders, so I walked up to the lvl 70+ mage and typed "I fart in your general direction." I know, pretty immature but hey it was 2am. Still thought the idea of a raiding party on a normal server is a bit of an exercise in fail.

They were probably there just wiping out the boss of the city.

Does anyone here play EQ2? I have an account, and I'm thinking about getting back into it. I need a little bit of guidance in leveling in stuff.

I played on Crushbone for 2 years, but there have been server mergers, that and I no longer play, but that game was my ***** while I played.

If this was 10 years ago I'd say EQ.. There's no point in starting out at level 1 in EQ now, you'll never see anyone else.. WoW is good..

I gotta be honest though I palyed EQ for years and have never had so much fun in a game.. If these two games were both released today with the exact same content they have now, with both having comparable graphics.. EQ would kick the ever living **** out of WOW.

Does anyone here play EQ2? I have an account, and I'm thinking about getting back into it. I need a little bit of guidance in leveling in stuff.

No you don't.. I just stopped playing, cuz my girlfriend plays wow.. But I really like what they've done with EQ2, it should of been released in it's current state. Leveling is easy and a lot of it is soloable now.. You shouldn't have any problems.

They were probably there just wiping out the boss of the city.

They were, the thing is that Westfall is an outpost town so he can't be worth much, the problem was that they were killing the quest givers, and the gryphon guys so I waited until I could hitch a ride, and I went to Iron Forge and brought back 3 lvl 80 folks, then went back to watch the fun. Those players then took me through a dungeon and let me have a ton of stuff in the mines, I finally got my first gold as I was selling it off, before I upgraded my shield.

I only play a few times a week. But Shards of Dalaya is fun. Check out their stuff on youtube also. There are actually a good amount of people online at a time between 300-450 at peak hours. Really good for a private server.

As someone stated before, PVE can get boring, so trying the Tallon/Vallon Zek PVP EQ emu server wouldnt be a bad idea either. I have played both. ALOT of whining on the PVP server though. Its alot of people established with the right gear on that server that mind not a bit of making your day a $hitfest by ganking you when you are involved in other things. Has its good and bad points.

Right now I think SoD is a better version, though I like PVP as I played on Rallos Zek from 2000-2005 on EQ live and I loved Kunark which isn't open yet on SoD.

Ok, after 10 days I'm sold on WoW, I love the quests and the constant need to do something and kill something. I also like the fact that there are lots of folks more than willing to help a low lvl'r on run throughs. See you guys in game. PM, if you want to join up in game.

Welcome to the addiction. Enjoy it, but don't let it own your life.

I played on Vallon Zek since release until about.. what.. 2002? I don't know. The EverQuest Emulator is still going strong, I suggest you play that if you want to play a free game. It's PvP (Player vs Player) though and you'll get your ass stomped as these guys have the knowledge that only comes with a decade of playing the same game. Warhammer is pretty sick; WoW has a few different levels to it. There's the casual, there's the normal PvE and then there's the hardcore where you spend about 4 hrs a day, then there is the PvP. Warhammer is more computer intensive than WoW. If you're going to play EverQuest play on the PvP emulator.

I do not suggest MMO's if you are just going to PvE. It gets boring, even at the cutting edge.

4 hours a day?? really??

Holy Crap! I need a job AND a life! I'm averaging about 7 hours a day!

but my DK is bad***!

btw: ASF, what server are you on?

I'm on three different servers right now, but the only one I can remember is Mishna that's where my lvl 10 priest is at...and were he'll probably rot. I don't remember which server my elf hunter and human warrior are at, but I know they aren't on the same one, because I split them in case I can't access one server or the other.

I just hit lvl 21 with my human warrior, and I'm busy beating up Gnolls and Orcs in Lakeside. I'll re-edit this later and put which servers I'm on.

I really like my warrior, he's lots of fun and is going to be a wrecking ball, the hunter is cool too, and I really like having the pet. I managed to snag myself a lvl 10 Eldersaber, she lvl'd to 11 last night and with her I ran one of the beginner caves by myself and got the head of the satyr something I failed to be able to accomplish with the priest.

The warrior managed to kill Yowler himself with 2 other gnolls beating on him, I died about 10 seconds later, but then respawned and double timed it out, over all I REALLY like my warrior its just so much fun to go flying into the middle of a melee hacking and thrashing with my axe.

Archived