Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

EverQuest or World of WarCraft? (poll)

AsburySkinsFan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Welcome to the addiction. Enjoy it, but don't let it own your life.

FCC Commissioner Terms WoW a Leading Cause of College Dropouts

Yesterday GamePolitics reported on concerns by University of Minnesota Duluth officials that compulsive World of Warcraft play was causing some students to flunk out.

Those concerns have been echoed by Federal Communications Commissioner Deborah Taylor Tate.

The FCC commissioner commented on WoW during a speech on telecom policy and regulation delivered to the Practicing Law Institute on December 5th:

With the explosion of educational resources available online, one might think parents would be 100% pleased with the internet’s role in their children’s lives. But surveys show just the opposite: a late 2006 survey that showed 59% of parents think the internet has been a totally positive influence in their children’s lives-- down from 67% in 2004.

You might find it alarming that one of the top reasons for college drop-outs in the U.S. is online gaming addiction - such as World of Warcraft - which is played by 11 million individuals worldwide.

I was a wow junkie, but honestly kept getting bored around the lvl 60 mark. Are there any good ones coming out that could be fun for a low skilled MMORPG player who just likes to explore solo? I didnt like guilding and being beholden to other groups of players and I didnt really like quests and dungeons that you needed a group to get through. Pain in the tush waiting on others to get stuff done.

just for fun, here is a vid of the WOW Ron Paul support march.

That was pretty sweet! Awesome co-operation with all involved imagine a raiding party like that swarming like that on a regular basis.

Oh, I'm mostly on the normal servers, what's the game play like on the PvP servers? How do you keep from getting slaughtered as a lvl 1 on those?

That was pretty sweet! Awesome co-operation with all involved imagine a raiding party like that swarming like that on a regular basis.

Oh, I'm mostly on the normal servers, what's the game play like on the PvP servers? How do you keep from getting slaughtered as a lvl 1 on those?

I dont think you can totally avoid it, but it's a big negative in PVP to attack the lowbies (I think there are some point considerations and such involved. I was never very good at the PVP, always wanted to get more into it, but didnt really know how to start.

If it's Everquest 2...Everquest 2 is better in about every aspect of the game.

Unless you like to breeze straight to the highest level...Because the first time I played WOW I got to level 55 in only 4 hours. The next day I was level 67 after another 3 hours of play.

When I found that out I quit automatically, and all my old friends who used to play WOW...all play EQ2.

People on EQ2 are alot more mature too...In WOW, they will walk right by you and look at you and say ..."noob hahaha"...

It is a common joke in EQ2 to tell someone to "go back to WOW"...

As far as things to do after you reach your maximum level. Everquest 2 blows WOW away in that category, there are MANY tradeskills and many quests still to do so you can keep making your character stronger in many different ways. (alternate advances)

Of course it all depends on what you like. Most adults who actually played both would choose EQ2 over WOW. Most kids who actually played both would most likely choose WOW.

I prefer EQ2 =).

Unless you like to breeze straight to the highest level...Because the first time I played WOW I got to level 55 in only 4 hours. The next day I was level 67 after another 3 hours of play.

When I found that out I quit automatically, and all my old friends who used to play WOW...all play EQ2.

People on EQ2 are alot more mature too...In WOW, they will walk right by you and look at you and say ..."noob hahaha"...

As far as things to do after you reach your maximum level. Everquest 2 blows WOW away in that category, there are MANY tradeskills and many quests still to do so you can keep making your character stronger in many different ways. (alternate advances)

Of course it all depends on what you like. Most adults who actually played both would choose EQ2 over WOW. Most kids who actually played both would most likely choose WOW.

I prefer EQ2 =).

:bsflag: I'm sorry but even in WoW you don't hit 67 within 7 hours of gameplay, I agree with you on some points like tradeskills but EQ2 doesn't blow WoW out of the water. You will find people on both EQ2 and WoW who are immature, and yes I've played both.

I prefer EQ2 =).

No Way you made it to 67 in 7 hours! Not on a Blizzard server, maybe on a private server.

"Go back to WoW", thats really funny cos we usually tell people to "Go back to EQ"

I prefer EQ2 =).

Considering how many people here have actually played both extensively, blatantly lying about it might not be the best idea.

I prefer EQ2 =).

Unless you were using RaF to grant levels to a toon, this didn't happen, and if you WERE using RaF...that's the whole point, to get someone to (near) max level to be able to raid/quest/group with friends who have pre-established toons.

I voted in the poll already, and voted WoW. I never played EQ2 so can't say anything good/bad indifferent about it, but in terms of end game WoW has not dissapointed me yet. The beginning raids in WoTLK are rather easy, but upcoming zones are expected to be far more difficult. I play on Kilrogg-US.

Sorry, but unless you got a MAJOR run through on a major campaign then I'm calling BS here, there is no way you can hit 55 in four hours on your own playing it straight in WoW. I was on last night for about 4 hours, I was halfway to lvl 22 when I started, completed three quests in Lakeshire lvl'd to 22 flew to Stormwind sold my stuff, flew to Westfall, teamed up with a party ran the Dark Mines and I'm only 2/3's of the way to lvl 23.

*edit

After thinking about it, there is no way you could have gotten a run on a quest that high, because you can't accept quests that are above your lvl to complete, because those are marked by a grey ! and you can only accept ones that are gold.

In all fairness, EQ has come a long way towards being more casual friendly. With their latest expansion they implemented a Mercenary system where you can hire a tank or healer npc that fights a long side of you. Everything I've read about it says they are awesome and you can level as fast as you can in wow with them.

But yeah it's an older game and it's age shows. I'd probably go back to it if the camera controls worked the same in 3rd person that wow/eq2 and any other new mmo works.

The best time to try EQ would be to watch when they open up a progression server. I don't know when the next one will be but that puts the entire population starting out fresh. They had opened 2 of them up in 2006 and it was some of the best fun I had in MMO's recently.

Archived