Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why upgrade your digital camera?

DixieFlatline

When you're dealing with Nikon vs Canon, it's all a matter of personal preference. You'll find some people who are fanatics of nikon, some who are fanatics of canon, some who don't give a damn about the camera manufacturer as long as the camera has some substance.

Go into a specialty photo retailer ... have them show you the cameras, see how they feel in your hands, get an idea for some of the features of the camera.

Also, when you're looking for a digital camera, make sure you take a look to see if the camera has a built in magnification. I know my Canon Rebel XTI did, and I know my Canon 40D does. I believe it turns that 50 mm fixed length into an 80 mm fixed length. Which is pretty cool with me, I typically like to get to get as close as possible and fill the frame as best as I can.

This is the crop factor. The focal lengths of lens are based on a 35mm frame (from the old film days ) and most DSLR are not "full framed." This means the sensor is smaller and takes a smaller area of the picture to be taken. To get the true mm of a lens you need to know your crop factor. The 40D and the XTi are 1.6. This means multiply the lens focal length by 1.6 and you will get the equivalent mm if you were shooting on a full frame camera.

The benefit of a full frame camera is better quality. Same reason an 8 mega pixel point and shoot is not as good as an 8 mega pixel DSLR, the sensor is size is different.

Just an FYI...

I found a place with incredible prices on line: http://shopdigitaldirect.com

I bought a D90 with an 18-105 VR lens (I switched my order figuring I should get the best camera I can and get the lens I want later) Total price $799!!! Woo hooo!

Here's the thing though. So far the buying experience has not been great and if I could find the same rig even close to that price I would go someplace else. The sales guy was an ass and I found out how they make their money. The camera comes with no rechargeable battery and no SD card.

Their price for the LI battery? $205.95

Going rate? $47.95

Battery Charger? $215.95

Going rate? $49.95

Memory Card - High speed 2 gb (buy one get one free LOL) $245.89

Going rate? $13.88 at Walmart :rolleyes:

Needless to say I told him I just wanted the Camera and lens.

I still have to call back and confirm my order was done correctly because the little jerk hung up on me so fast and to top it off he said something about two to three weeks for delivery. WTF?

I'll post back with the final outcome.

Be very careful ordering online. Too many of these companies are bogus. Always check them out at www.resellerratings.com.

BTW...this store has a .96 out of 10 rating. CLick the link and read some of the reviews.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Shop_Digital_Direct

Be very careful ordering online. Too many of these companies are bogus. Always check them out at www.resellerratings.com.

BTW...this store has a .96 out of 10 rating. CLick the link and read some of the reviews.

Excellent call. I thought I had found an amazing bargain on my 70-200 lens last year but did some research. That website was definitely shady.

Just an FYI...

I found a place with incredible prices on line: http://shopdigitaldirect.com

I bought a D90 with an 18-105 VR lens (I switched my order figuring I should get the best camera I can and get the lens I want later) Total price $799!!! Woo hooo!

Here's the thing though. So far the buying experience has not been great and if I could find the same rig even close to that price I would go someplace else. The sales guy was an ass and I found out how they make their money. The camera comes with no rechargeable battery and no SD card.

Their price for the LI battery? $205.95

Going rate? $47.95

Battery Charger? $215.95

Going rate? $49.95

Memory Card - High speed 2 gb (buy one get one free LOL) $245.89

Going rate? $13.88 at Walmart :rolleyes:

Needless to say I told him I just wanted the Camera and lens.

I still have to call back and confirm my order was done correctly because the little jerk hung up on me so fast and to top it off he said something about two to three weeks for delivery. WTF?

I'll post back with the final outcome.

Cancel it if you can. Have your cc company dispute it if need be. DEFINATELY use www.resellerratings.com. Best online dealer I've found to deal with & get a great price on camera gear is Amazon. The lens link I posted earlier was actually less when I bought it. Amazon's prices do tend to fluctuate a bit daily. That lens retails for $700. I got it for $550ish AND free next day shipping. Even better, I had it delivered & in my hands in less then 24 hours from hitting 'submit' on my laptop.

It figures. :-(

I called back to confirm my order and ask about the long delivery time and they told me they were back ordered. The more I thought about it, the more I thought there was no way they were going to take the order at a loss. I was thinking that If I were them and the "mark" didn't bite on the up-sell, I would suddenly back ordered too.

I'm canceling my order tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

So as I stated earlier, I am going to be taking the plunge and getting a digital SLR...any recommondations on a good brand for a beginner?

I'll probably end up getting it at best buy since I'll use gift cards from xmas as my budget doesn't allow me to pay for one all by myself. I'd appreciate any insight from those in the know.

So as I stated earlier, I am going to be taking the plunge and getting a digital SLR...any recommondations on a good brand for a beginner?

I'll probably end up getting it at best buy since I'll use gift cards from xmas as my budget doesn't allow me to pay for one all by myself. I'd appreciate any insight from those in the know.

Cannon or Nikon. Both are very good. Others can be OK but don't have the depth of equipment available. Just remember you are buying into the brand if you want additional lenses and equipment.

Check out dpreview.com and go hold them in your hands after you learn a little about the models.

Cancel it if you can. Have your cc company dispute it if need be. DEFINATELY use www.resellerratings.com. Best online dealer I've found to deal with & get a great price on camera gear is Amazon. The lens link I posted earlier was actually less when I bought it. Amazon's prices do tend to fluctuate a bit daily. That lens retails for $700. I got it for $550ish AND free next day shipping. Even better, I had it delivered & in my hands in less then 24 hours from hitting 'submit' on my laptop.

I finally got through to cancel my order after about 20 tries. I think it was canceled in their minds anyway once I didn't bite on the up-sell. Just to be sure, I'm canceling my debt card and ordering a new one.

I'm going with Newegg. They seem to have the best (real) deal on the camera I want, plus the are throwing in a camera bag.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830113155&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Digital+Cameras-_-Nikon+Inc-_-30113155

I also did some research on these scam companies. Most seem to be under the same ownership.

Texas Sues Broadway Photo for Bait & Switch Scams

http://www.photographybay.com/2008/11/30/texas-sues-broadway-photo-for-bait-switch-scams/#comments

The State of Texas has just lit up Broadway Photo and Starlight Camera & Video (aka everyprice.com) for their unlawful bait and switch tactics. Broadway Photo, among others, has long been the bane of consumers who have been unfortunate enough to order a “too good to be true” deal from them only to get suckered into buying an overpriced battery, memory card or some other scam during a “confirmation call”.

In a Flash, Camera Dealers Feel the Web's Wrath

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/11/nyregion/11cameras.html?pagewanted=all

What began late in November with a disputed order for a Canon EOS has led to prank calls and attempts to cripple Web sites, police reports of death threats, intervention by global Internet companies, a new city investigation and, all the while, spirited coverage by technology news Web sites.
Outside legal channels, camera enthusiasts have been building a case against Brooklyn dealers for years. A great hero of the movement is Don Wiss, 56, a self-described "Woodstock baby" who wears frameless glasses and denim shirts.

From his home in Park Slope, Mr. Wiss promotes gluten-free eating and car-free transportation. For fun, he tracks addresses associated with online camera dealers, rides his Dutch Batavus bicycle (with fenders, chain casing and adjustable handlebars) to those addresses, takes photographs and posts the images on his Web site.

http://donwiss.com/pictures/BrooklynStores/

Next step, I'm taking the info to google and raising hell till they pull them from their search engines.

:evil:

I'm going with Newegg. They seem to have the best (real) deal on the camera I want, plus the are throwing in a camera bag.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16830113155&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Digital+Cameras-_-Nikon+Inc-_-30113155

NewEgg is one of the most reliable online retailers around. I have bought a lot of things from them and their customer service is second to none. So no worries there.

Archived