Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why upgrade your digital camera?

DixieFlatline

Looking at PCS's photos tonight got me thinking about this. I know very little about photography outside of knowing you used to have to buy faster speed film for shooting sporting events.

I've had a number of co-workers talking about buying new cameras mainly because they have young children and are taking a lot of pictures. I got a Canon Powershot SD750 last year and love it because it takes good pictures and fits in my pocket (if only I remember to carry it with me). :) Now, my co-workers are talking about digital cameras in the $800-$900 range. I believe the Canon Rebel is one talked about the most.

So, I ask those that know a thing or two about photography. What exactly are you getting by jumping from a $200 camera to one that is $800-$900? Is it shutter speed, bigger zoom,....? It's hard for me to imagine pictures being clearer than ones I currently get, but I know you're paying for something when you spend that much.

Read the following for a better understanding of DSLRs and point and shoots.

http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/should-you-buy-a-dslr-or-point-and-shoot-digital-camera/

Thanks, that was very helpful. I had searched on the web for articles like that, but obviously I wasn't using the right terminology. I definitely didn't know they were called DSLRs.

i wouldn't buy a camera right now but thats just me... i'm waiting till hdr is standard. flashes offend me. that finepix S3 is okay but overpriced i want a wide range brightness range and for 2 grand i deserve it.

its like that with pcs' photos most people would think "oh great image" mean while i look and good the details suck in your shadows its one big blob.

eh whatever, if it isn't a hasselblad with a photo stitched image i think it sucks. not my fault i'm just to picky

I'd say that link covers things nicely. It also comes down to personal preference. What you want out of your camera.
Can you tell me some decent DSLRs to look at. I am taking a digital photography course next semester and want to get a decent camera. I have a point-and-shoot but am not satisfied with the picture quality. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money.

I've been thinking about upgrading our camera from a point and shoot, mainly for better operation in low light and zoom. But I think I'll stick with what we've got.

In a similar field, we own three telescopes :geek: which serve different needs. They say that your best telescope is the one you use most, and it looks like the same argument applies here.

For our camera needs, convenience trumps perfection.

i wouldn't buy a camera right now but thats just me... i'm waiting till hdr is standard. flashes offend me. that finepix S3 is okay but overpriced i want a wide range brightness range and for 2 grand i deserve it.

its like that with pcs' photos most people would think "oh great image" mean while i look and good the details suck in your shadows its one big blob.

eh whatever, if it isn't a hasselblad with a photo stitched image i think it sucks. not my fault i'm just to picky

HDR will never be "standard" in photography. It is just another tool to use and it doesn't work on all photos.

Looking at PCS's photos tonight got me thinking about this. I know very little about photography outside of knowing you used to have to buy faster speed film for shooting sporting events.

I've had a number of co-workers talking about buying new cameras mainly because they have young children and are taking a lot of pictures. I got a Canon Powershot SD750 last year and love it because it takes good pictures and fits in my pocket (if only I remember to carry it with me). :) Now, my co-workers are talking about digital cameras in the $800-$900 range. I believe the Canon Rebel is one talked about the most.

So, I ask those that know a thing or two about photography. What exactly are you getting by jumping from a $200 camera to one that is $800-$900? Is it shutter speed, bigger zoom,....? It's hard for me to imagine pictures being clearer than ones I currently get, but I know you're paying for something when you spend that much.

Remember that if you buy a Rebel (DSLR) you will also need to buy a lens, or rather lenses. The camera is only as good as the glass you shoot through. Don't skimp on the lens or you will be VERY disapointed in your pics.

Can you tell me some decent DSLRs to look at. I am taking a digital photography course next semester and want to get a decent camera. I have a point-and-shoot but am not satisfied with the picture quality. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money.

I am a fan of Canon, always have been. Great equipment all around. As far as what camera to get...that is your call. It depends on how much money you want to spend and what you really need it to do. The Rebel XSi is great for a "lower end" camera, but you do get more by going to a 40D or 50D.

Check out fredmiranda.com. You can get great advice and you can also buy used equipment there. This AM someone was selling a 50D for $1000!

It really depends on your price range. For those breaking in to the DSLR world. There are several smaller ones that are easy to learn to use and can help you. Nikkon and Canon especially. Most are sold in kits that have a nice,(not spectacular, but decent), image stabilized lens with them. Start with the Canon Rebel XSI or something much more affordable in the Canon Rebel XS. Personally, I would save and get the XSI. It will take you where you want to go for awhile. Look them up. Several sites out there will explain them much better than I can. (dpreview for starters). A good investment.

Nikkon has the D90. Can be a bit pricey, but it's a very good camera. Recommendation,(despite my statements above about kits). Get a body only then a nice lens. Something that has a somewhat broad zoom range with some type of IS. Obviously you lose a little quality with something like that, but you only need that one lens for many shots. Good way to start imho.

Remember that if you buy a Rebel (DSLR) you will also need to buy a lens, or rather lenses. The camera is only as good as the glass you shoot through. Don't skimp on the lens or you will be VERY disapointed in your pics.

Agreed. I went cheap and it cost me some potentially very nice shots. You get what you pay for. Example. Had a nice Sigma 70-300mm lens that I started with. Went to an L-Series 70-200mm and the difference was,(obviously), dramatic. I take a pic at full zoom with the Sigma and do the same with the Canon L-series lens. I can crop the image taken with the Canon and still get better quality than the Sigma at full zoom. If that makes sense,( like I said. I can be bad at explaining things).

I am a fan of Canon, always have been. Great equipment all around. As far as what camera to get...that is your call. It depends on how much money you want to spend and what you really need it to do. The Rebel XSi is great for a "lower end" camera, but you do get more by going to a 40D or 50D.

Check out fredmiranda.com. You can get great advice and you can also buy used equipment there. This AM someone was selling a 50D for $1000!

Same here. I try not to be brand loyal at times, but this is a tough one. Canon IS and the glass in their lenses is awsome imho.

PCS. What do you use?

Having just destroyed my 8 year old, obsolete, Olympus DSLR. I bit the bullet and ordered the Nikon D80 with their 18-200 super zoom lens with vibration reduction.

I'm really excited about the upgrade. :D

(doh - still half asleep. I see you are a Cannon guy. Still curious which model. I thought about the Cannon 400D but it cost more than the D80 and I've had good experiences with a borrowed Nikon and none with Cannon so...)

Canon - Nikon... Both great cameras. Both have great sets of lenses. It's all about comfort with the design. Cannon has some great features that I like but I have occasionally shot with Nikon and I have a little bit of comfort with them. I've owned a couple of Olympus cameras from an old OM1 all manual film camera to the E10, but they don't have the range of lenses and accessories of a Nikon or Cannon.

I really do like your work BTW. I always check it out even if I don't post about it. :cheers:

I just jumped into the DSLR world. I bought a new Nikon d40 for 450 dollars at Best Buy. So far I am loving it. I cant find a bad review on it and it feels great. I am trying to learn the basics of photography. I dont think you can find a better deal on a camera right now.

HDR will never be "standard" in photography. It is just another tool to use and it doesn't work on all photos.

you are absolutely incorrect in that assumption. assigning color values as well as brightness values just makes sense. the problem is that having a wider range creates limitations with the amount of mega-pixels.

but, as this technology improves we'll see things like flashes as being more gimmick features for cameras as cameras become more able to record what the viewer sees.

Also, could someone recommend some books for me to pick up to help me learn how to use a DSLR camera (and explain the different kinds of lenses etc)

Lower f stop = higher depth of field, and faster. Here's a photo I took at a baseball game with a lens that is a 2.8 f-stop:

2458568418_b529abf981.jpg?v=0

Note how the ball isn't a blur, you can see the seams.

Higher f-stop is a slower, but more is in focus. However, if something in your frame moves quickly, you'll get some motion blur. I took this one at a show a few weeks ago, the f-stop is f-10:

2997293833_660300fa6e.jpg

PCS touched on a good point about quality of lenses. I have a 100-300 Sigma that is pretty nice, but the picture quality isn't as good as my Canon 70-200 2.8 lens. I find that the brand lenses really are the best. I have a 50 mm fixed length (no zoom) 1.8 Canon lens that's dirt cheap and takes great photos, here's a photo I took with it:

2998107138_e092c55129.jpg

With a lower f-stop you can take pictures in darker places. The difference between 2.8 and 1.8 doesn't sound like a whole lot, but believe me it is.

Also, when you're looking for a digital camera, make sure you take a look to see if the camera has a built in magnification. I know my Canon Rebel XTI did, and I know my Canon 40D does. I believe it turns that 50 mm fixed length into an 80 mm fixed length. Which is pretty cool with me, I typically like to get to get as close as possible and fill the frame as best as I can.

the big difference between a POS (point and shoot :)) and DSLR is the megapixels. an 8.0 POS and an 8.0 DSLR will NOT be the same. the DSLR will have a better quality. an 8.0 POS will more likely compare to about a 6.0 DSLR while the 8.0 DSLR will be like a 10.0 POS. hopefully that all makes sense...

and id wouldnt go with a digital rebel. they are crap. when i was first looking at DSLRs, i looked at the rebel since i have a 35mm rebel and could use all the lenses i already have. but everyone i talked to that used one or had one (professional photogs) they steered me clear. many of the people who owned one had it fry or literally blow up on them. one portrait photog had two digital rebels blow up on him on the same shoot. one happened while i was there with him. if you want a cheap DSLR, id go with a nikon d40. a friend of mine who is a professional photog in iowa was consulting me before she bought and thats one of the ones she showed me the specs on, along with a couple different rebels. it was in the 600-700 range.

as far as canon, skip all rebels, and only do in the xxD range, like winning season please said.

and for the original question about what are you getting by jumping price. you get much better zoom in a DSLR than POS, changeable lenses. i already talked about the different in megapixels. shutter speed wont really change, but you would most likely have more ISO settings with a DSLR. if youre taking just candid shots, you probably wont notice much of a difference. but if you are shooting sports or taking pictures of the kids running around or any other type of 'action shots', then you will notice a big difference.

Just an FYI...

I found a place with incredible prices on line: http://shopdigitaldirect.com

I bought a D90 with an 18-105 VR lens (I switched my order figuring I should get the best camera I can and get the lens I want later) Total price $799!!! Woo hooo!

Here's the thing though. So far the buying experience has not been great and if I could find the same rig even close to that price I would go someplace else. The sales guy was an ass and I found out how they make their money. The camera comes with no rechargeable battery and no SD card.

Their price for the LI battery? $205.95

Going rate? $47.95

Battery Charger? $215.95

Going rate? $49.95

Memory Card - High speed 2 gb (buy one get one free LOL) $245.89

Going rate? $13.88 at Walmart :rolleyes:

Needless to say I told him I just wanted the Camera and lens.

I still have to call back and confirm my order was done correctly because the little jerk hung up on me so fast and to top it off he said something about two to three weeks for delivery. WTF?

I'll post back with the final outcome.

Archived