Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

How is the "Thank you very much"? My brother is sending me one of those.

I echo that sentiment....how is the "Thank You Very Much!" ?

Went to the Heavy Seas Brewery yesterday, (thanks for the hookup, Rince!), so I could try some of the "Black Cannon" and determine if it's keg-worthy. They were serving on draft and it's very, very good. Rince suggested that I cut it with some regular Loose Cannon and all I can say is "WOW!" Unbelievable! I picked up a 6-pack of it and drank a few last night. While the Black Cannon is excellent, I don't think that I want an entire keg of it, so I'll probably tap a keg of Loose Cannon instead and just buy the Black Cannon by the 6-pack...

Sorry gents, stuck to the Sierra Nevada last night. 10.5% bomber was enough to relax me in to a sweet weekend doze. If I have a drink tonight, I'll make sure to make it the Heavy Seas Thank You. :) Not much of a review on the Barleywine; I've been eye'ing that beer for a while and just wanted to sit back and enjoy it out of a snifter while listening to music.

Things that stood out were the lively carbo, the big hop AND malt presence, and the rich, silky body. Really, really good; better than the Fritz & Ken's Ale (Stout), IMO. Could use a little less hops in the beer, only because it takes away from the awesome brown sugar/roasted malt goodness in this brew. Whatever, it's something you should definitely get if you like Barleywines. I could write a few paragraphs about why this beer is so good. It's in the A range.

I tried the Anchor Brewing Company's Christmas Ale last night.....I loved it. Very good, had a sweet flavor to it.

anchorbrewing-xmasale32.jpg

I also really like that beer. i have some magnums of them. I don't generally like "xmas beers", but the Anchor is really good. They are suppose to age wonderfully as well.

---------- Post added January-16th-2011 at 09:55 AM ----------

I also really like that beer. i have some magnums of them. I don't generally like "xmas beers", but the Anchor is really good. They are suppose to age wonderfully as well.

So many things wrong with that statement.

Heavy Seas Thank You, Thank You Very Much Imperial IPA

Heavy-Seas-Thank-You-Very-Much%5B7%5D.png

Appearance: Honey-gold, extremely clear. Head is white and soapy, leaves a modest lacing.

Aroma: Flower hops with bitter citrus, light toast and caramel behind it. All aromas are easy to pick up on, probably find them on the first couple wiffs. Liking it.

Flavor/Body/Finish: Bitterness is high, but it has to share the spotlight with several things in this brew. The body is above average, the carbonation is frothy on the palate. The toast/caramel malt has a definite presence here. Very long finish with a lot of hops and booze.

Summary: Too bad this is a limited edition brew. I find it to be more enjoyable than the Heavy Seas Big DIPA. To each his own, of course. It's a hop-heavy beer, while at the same time being enjoyable in several different aspects. Impressive altogether.

A (93)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

How is the "Thank you very much"? My brother is sending me one of those.

Honestly - it's good, not great. They changed a bit of the hops (and added a lot more) and the malt from the original Loose Cannon recipe. The result is a slightly hoppier IPA without much more alcohol than the current Cannon - Thank You is 8% abv, while Cannon is 7.25%.

If you can find an event that has a firkin of the Thank You I STRONGLY suggest attending. The unfiltered version of this beer was absolutely amazing - unfortunately, it lost a bit in the filtering process.

By the way - this was a one-off brew. So its worth checking out simply for the fact that you will never be able to get it again.

Edit - glad you liked it dOuble. I only had the DIPA after it was oxidized so I'm not a good judge - but Thank You does seem like a better put together beer.

Edited by rincewind

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/futuresport/201101/bottoms-beer-revolution-brewing

In a moment of inspired American innovation, Josh Springer sat at a restaurant in 2009 and was struck with an idea that could one day be recounted in the Smithsonian. (Or at least be toasted by grateful sports fans).

Springer may forever end the dreaded stadium beer line.

“If I can be the person that does that, I’ll die happy,” Springer, 28, joked Tuesday.

Springer and his Montesano, Wash., start-up company GrinOn Industries have invented the “Bottom’s Up Draft Beer Dispensing System.”

It “pours” a draft beer nine times faster than traditional methods and dramatically reduces spillage. It's so cool to see, it’s generated viral YouTube videos and dragged fans away from the actual events to stand around and watch suds get served.

9FKVVo6SfQ0

Minus the line, you’ll sell more beer –- especially in bursts during stoppages of play in football or intermissions at concerts. Spillage –- which costs in wasted product -- is minimal. The beer, Carter said,

comes out smoother and perfectly poured.

And people love the novelty. The only extra cost is the cups. A generic beer cup runs about 10 cents, according to Carter. The GrinOn cups are about 45 cents.

However, by imprinting the magnet with a custom logo -- something commemorating an event or team and featuring an advertisement -- the expense can be subsidized.

“I can defer the cost of my cup if I have an advertiser,” Carter said.

Springer said some other venues are actually making money on the cups due to advertising, which winds up on fridges for years.

That's pretty cool.

The only downside that I can see is that foamy beers will still be poured, unless the venue has the ability to serve the beer at the correct temps and to keep the draft system balanced.

There are several reasons why beer foams, but serving temps and balanced draft systems are the biggest culprits.

In a nutshell....If the beer isn't the right temperature, (CO2 comes out of solution when the liquid temp exceeds 38 degrees..i.e. foam), and/or the draft system isn't balanced, (i.e. assuming a liquid temp of 38 degrees...the CO2 level of the beer and the pressure applied from the CO2 to the keg must be correct to maintain the proper carbonation levels in the beer...when that happens, the system is balanced)., then you'll still get wasted beer due to the foam.

Edited by Skinsfan1311

The United States of Beer

You asked for it, we delivered.

Last week, while many of you were enjoying our map of the United States of Soft Drinks, just as many of you alcoholics were demanding a United States of Beer map instead. And so we hunkered down all weekend, doing the kind of brutal and difficult work that it takes to determine a fitting beer for every last one of our 50 states.

Texas, naturally, belongs to Shiner. Our rationale for this? Lone Star and Pearl are now brewed by Pabst (even though they're still brewed in Texas), so they're out. Saint Arnold, Real Ale, Independence, Southern Star and other Texas brews are all wonderful -- each and every one of them -- but none have the reach and recognition that Shiner has on a national scale. Plus, it tastes great with Gulf Coast oysters.

That logic applies to most of the other choices on the map, as well. Budweiser? Born in Missouri, known worldwide. Miller? Sorry, Leinenkugel, but it's arguably Wisconsin's biggest invention to date. Yuengling? You're awesome, Victory, but no other beer can compete with Yuengling's longevity.

Other states were more difficult to choose beers for, however.

Florida? South Dakota? Kentucky? These aren't places that one naturally associates with beer, as the map and our choices demonstrate. We finally settled on Bud Light for Kentucky as it's traditionally the most favored beer in beer cheese, a regional favorite. Florida gets saddled with MGD Light 64 because it's the beer we imagine bikini-clad Miami Beach babes drinking to stay slim.

And still other states have frustratingly outdated liquor laws, like Alabama and West Virginia. Those states were penalized by being "awarded" awful, low-ABV brews like Keystone Light and Natural Light, as these are some of the only beers that can lawfully be sold in these pitiful states. Mississippi, however, was rewarded for its persistence in fighting the man with breweries like Lazy Magnolia.

unitedstatesofbeermedium.jpg

Click on the link for a larger image with a more readable full list

Edited by China

Popped a Victory Hop Wallop a few minutes ago. Tons of citrus hops in the nose and taste, another GREAT beer from Victory.

I have tried all Victory brews except the Witbier at this point all of them are solid beers, I would rank them as follows.

Hop Wallop

Golden Monkey(very different spicy Belgian style brew )

Hop Devil

Pilsner

Oscar Blues Dale's Pale Ale

dales-pale-ale_300.jpg

Appearance: Foggy Amber, milky tan head, low to moderate lacing

Aroma: Grapefruit, pine, toast, bannana bread

Flavor: Hop flavor all the way, subtle yet bitter, sweet and tart, grassy with pine, citrus dwarfed. Malt virtually absent.

Body: Dry - light. Alcohol warmth is mellow, great touch.

Summary: High bitterness for an APA, but could use a malt backbone. While a decent experience for hop heads - it doesn't really have a dynamic hop flavor. No malt; it just feels unfinished. Not my cup of Pale Ale.

B- (82)

I tried the Stone Ruination last May and thought it was excellent, i picked up a 6'er of the Stone IPA today, while it's very tasty and has a ton of yummy aromoas, it's pretty damn good, but just okay. Lately I have tried so many different beers I am tired of trying different beers and want to settle in on a reasonbly priced go to beer thats always in my fridge. I have narrowed it down to, Sierra Nevada Torpedo and V Hop Devil, the Torpedo is constantly giving something new everytime I try it and the Hop Devil is just smoooth, there is also the Raging Biatch which is a staple in my fridge, what do you guys/gals choose as an every day beer?

I tried the Stone Ruination last May and thought it was excellent, i picked up a 6'er of the Stone IPA today, while it's very tasty and has a ton of yummy aromoas, it's pretty damn good, but just okay. Lately I have tried so many different beers I am tired of trying different beers and want to settle in on a reasonbly priced go to beer thats always in my fridge. I have narrowed it down to, Sierra Nevada Torpedo and V Hop Devil, the Torpedo is constantly giving something new everytime I try it and the Hop Devil is just smoooth, there is also the Raging Biatch which is a staple in my fridge, what do you guys/gals choose as an every day beer?

My go-to beer is the Flying Dog Double Dog DPA. Just a hefty, very well rounded beer. For a quick-pick stout I go with the Samuel Adams Cream Stout most commonly. Again, real solid body, which I am very particular about. 'Specially for a stout. Cheap enough to be considered a steal in my eyes.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll