Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Aww snap! Got some Schlafly Pumpkin Ale! $19 a six pack! Ow! Never had anything from Terrapin Beer Co., and picked up some of their Hopsecutioner IPA. Also a bomber of DFH 75 Min IPA. Their only continually hopped IPA that I haven't had. This is brewed with maple syrup.

Will save a Schlafly to compare to other pumpkin beers when they all come out.

image-23.jpg

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Update: Before I forget I just want to jot down some notes before bed.

Schlafly Pumpkin was decidedly weak at first, I was shocked from how light of a flavor it had. But then I let it sit, and the warmer it got, the more the flavor came to. Don't drink this right out of the fridge, let it sit for a while. It's one of THOSE beers.

I can already tell you the Schlafly isn't as upfront as The Fear and Pumking, but it has a classier balance when you let it sit a while before enjoying.

The Terrapin Hopsecutioner is earthy and piney, nice toasty malt. Good ****.

Flying Dog Brewery tour yesterday was awesome. I highly recommend it. It's $5 and the tour takes maybe 30 minutes. Then you go back out to the bar and get 5, yes FIVE beer tokens. They had a ton of options to choose from to. I had some Dogtober Fest, Woody Creek, Old Scratch, Barrel Aged Gonzo and Woody Creek. I love Dogtober Fest and the Barrel Aged Gonzo was really good too. Also picked up a sweet Redskins themed Flying Dog shirt too. If you live near Frederick, you should definitely make the trip up there.

Flying Dog Brewery tour yesterday was awesome. I highly recommend it. It's $5 and the tour takes maybe 30 minutes. Then you go back out to the bar and get 5, yes FIVE beer tokens. They had a ton of options to choose from to. I had some Dogtober Fest, Woody Creek, Old Scratch, Barrel Aged Gonzo and Woody Creek. I love Dogtober Fest and the Barrel Aged Gonzo was really good too. Also picked up a sweet Redskins themed Flying Dog shirt too. If you live near Frederick, you should definitely make the trip up there.

Sounds a lot like the Heavy Seas tour.

HB-

So, my dad had already bought the ingredients for the IPA- basically the same as the last one. The only difference was not adding the cascade hops as a dry hop. He used 1.5 oz chinook and 2 total oz of cascade, added at 45 and 58 minutes of a one hour boil. Also he used 7lbs malt extract and English ale liquid yeast (we used dry yeast last time)

A few things my dad definitely does wrong- he definitely has a habit of rinsing stuff after it's been sanitized in the no rinse sanitizer (it's chlorine free). Years ago, I remember him making a point of emphasis about how you don't have to rinse after sanitizing, so god knows why he does it now.

He said we didn't have to splash the cooled wort cuz we used spring water which is oxygenated, plus we pour it into the fermenter with the added spring water. I don't think he gets the importance if this concept.

Basically, he seems to follow the same carbon copy formula he uses to make his other beers (besides changing a few ingredients). I don't think he realizes that different beers benefit from different nuances.

Oh, and he only cooled the wort (about 2.5 gallons) for about 8 minutes in a sink full of ice water and didn't check the temperature. He says he knows it'll " cool to room temp based on experience", so that's a potential problem. I told him I was getting him a wort chiller anyway and relayed what you said about hops and stuff in the suspension.

Anyway, that's about all I can think if at the moment. So, I'm crossing my fingers and just hoping for the best.

If nothing else, I at least have a much better grasp on the basics of home brewing. Next time I'll follow your recipe.

Thanks again HB. I'll let you know how it turns out.

It's good stuff

I'm not a huge fan of IPAs, pretty particular about them. I like earthy hops way more than citrusy/grass flavored hops. Flowery, piney, and a good malt backbone is what I look for. Loose Cannon, Un*Eartly...this Hopsecutioner is more like them, but there is a grassiness to it. Would say it's a notch below those two for my personal taste. Still, I enjoy it a lot!

I think I'm with you on the IPAs. Love loose cannon and torpedo, Lagunitas Maximus, just had some Elysium immortal that I liked.

but I actually don't love dogfish 60 minute, for example. It's ok, but I kinda feel like it's missing the malt body to balance the hops. Kind of like snapperhead ipa.

I think a lot of regular IPAs are a bit like that. Lots of hops and that's it.

Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA

Tastes more like the 60 than the 90. Maple syrup flavor is light. I tried to pour it super lightly, but it kept yielding a huge head. Carbo on the pallet wasn't bad though. Actually the body and texture is the best thing about this beer. Pretty velvety. Overall I was expecting more maple syrup, and less typical IPA. Wasn't bad, I like all of their continually-hopped IPAs. My ranking goes:

I LOVE the 60 min with blue crabs, but I think part of the reason is because it's a novelty. Used to drink it all the time at the harbor.

I'm not a huge fan of IPAs, pretty particular about them. I like earthy hops way more than citrusy/grass flavored hops. Flowery, piney, and a good malt backbone is what I look for. Loose Cannon, Un*Eartly...this Hopsecutioner is more like them, but there is a grassiness to it. Would say it's a notch below those two for my personal taste. Still, I enjoy it a lot!

I am not either.. but man!! You have to try the Old Bust Head Wildcat IPA.... I havent had one in a few weeks, but I got my bro in law hooked on them (he loves ipa's) and my next door neighbor... is actually the best ipa ive had , I dont like the super hoppy ones

Edited by DButz65

I am not either.. but man!! You have to try the Old Bust Head Wildcat IPA.... I havent had one in a few weeks, but I got my bro in law hooked on them (he loves ipa's) and my next door neighbor... is actually the best ipa ive had , I dont like the super hoppy ones

Where do you get that?

Got some flying dog truth imperial IPA tonight. Somehow I've never had it before.

Not too shabby. Got a little bit of that sharp initial bite with not a ton of malt balance, kind of like I was saying above. I couldn't cut it with a knife, but still pretty good.

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat

Tough spot being the pumpkin beer I try right after a week of drinkin Schlafly Pumpkin Ales. It holds up pretty well though. Are all of Shock Top's beers made thru their Belgian Wheat? Everything I've seen from them is derived from it, and their Belgian Wheat sucks. When they do a good job covering it up with different flavors, it's usually a good beer. Their Honeycrisp Apple Wheat, for instance. This Pumpkin Wheat is definitely not as flavorful as that beer, it's more like their plain ole nasty Belgian. There is a pretty good initial pumkin pie bite, but it doesn't last long. This gets a C.

IMG_6787.JPG

At the bowling alley the other night, I decided to try cornona light on draft because, 1, it was a free mug of it, and 2, I clean the lines there so I know

they are clean LOL and was just there the day before.. :D  It was the first light beer that I can recall, that actually had FLAVOR!! Have never tried it

in a bottle to compare but was pleasantly surprised so I'll give it a B- for a light beer on draft

Edited by DButz65

I can't do pumpkin beers in August. It needs to be September at least (preferably later in the month)

Agreed!  It's the beer equivalent of seeing Christmas decorations in October. 

These schedules are out of hand. I'm sure some there will be winter beers in stores come September as well!

I agree that perhaps the best beer experience is having pumpkin ales and marzens in the fresh autumn air. What I don't have much of a problem with is having seasonal beers out of season. I'd buy the Sam Adams Winter Lager in June, even if it's my go-to beer to stock before a blizzard.

I can do pumpkin beers in August when in upstate NY the high for the day is high 60's and low at night is 50. On that note i will be picking up a few bottles of PumKing on my way home tonight for the game. I cant wait.

I could make an exception for PumKing. ****ing love that beer

Now that I think about it, I never see Southern Tier out on the West Coast. I'm going to really miss PumKing this year if I can't find it

Edited by Skinz4Life12

I can do pumpkin beers in August when in upstate NY the high for the day is high 60's and low at night is 50. On that note i will be picking up a few bottles of PumKing on my way home tonight for the game. I cant wait.

Right? Highs in the mid 70s to mid 80s all August long in D.C. No sign of a heatwave in the forecast. Been an autumn nip in the air for weeks now.

Local deli just stocked Blue Point beers. One of them is their fall seasonal pumpkin ale. Think that's the next one I try.