Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

The Heavy Seas Plank II is very tasty. Dopplebock. It's limited edition so scoop it up while you can. Much better than the Plank I.

Also had their new collaboration brew with Devil's Backbone called "Land Ho". Burnt/chocolate flavors with a slight yeast, light bodied, wasn't bad.

c3ec4be5eebc62d02044c2ba6c6a1a63_320x320.jpg721-1-3.jpg

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Going to a "Tour de Beer" this weekend at the county fairgrounds :ols:. There's a good long list including some I'm not familiar with bold. I'll be looking for the good American pils. Here's a list of the breweries that will be there in case anyone has any recommendations.

Shock Top

Widmer Hefeweizen

Kona

Redhook

Isotopes

Odell

Bass Ale

Becks

Stella Artios

Ace Cider

Anchor Brewing

Anderson Valley Brewing

Big Sky Brewing

Boulder Brewing

Deschutes Brewing

Full Sail Brewing

Left Hand Brewing

Marble Brewing

New Belgium Brewing

Sierra Nevada Brewing

Stone Brewery

Shiner

Bridgeport

Rio Grande Brewing

Sierra Blanca

Santa Fe Brewing

Crispin

Bravado

Boston Beer

Blue Moon

Leinenkugel

Wasatch

Pyramid

Mimbres Valley Brewery

High Desert Brewing Co.

sounds like fun KAO, New Belgium makes Fat Tire(which may be more to your tastes)....I like their Abbey and Abbey Grand Cru best

Deschutes Brewing has the Black Butte Porter,which is rather good

I love Stone's offerings,

sounds like fun KAO, New Belgium makes Fat Tire(which may be more to your tastes)....I like their Abbey and Abbey Grand Cru best

Deschutes Brewing has the Black Butte Porter,which is rather good

I love Stone's offerings,

Yeah it will be I'm sure, thanks. Even with the little tasting cups I expect they'll use there will be plenty to drink. Hopefully some good food booths too. What is the cru all about? I've seen that on champagne or American Sparkling Wine but not in beer. Had plenty of Fat Tires, that's big everywhere.

I have some questions for the Becks guy about preservatives in the beer they export to us. My buddy in Germany swears the beer there of the same brand is actually made different for their market. I know they have freshness criteria and such for beer in Germany, I'll be curious what he says about it.

A few random things...

In this thread I mentioned I ordered beer from www.liquorama.net Shipping was $27 for 8 bottles. There is currently a Groupon style coupon out there where you pay $25 for a $50 credit at Liquorama. I did this deal in the past through a site called Groupalicious and everything worked out fine. This time its offered through something called kgbdeals.com

Here is the link to the coupon offer and then to liquorama's beer page. Limited selection but if you can't get stuff in your area from Port Brewing, AleSmith, Green Flash, Bear Republic etc., this is a good way to get this beer with basically free delivery.

http://www.kgbdeals.com/national/deals/123307/50-discount-on-50-worth-of-liquor-beer-and-wine-from-liquorama

http://www.liquorama.net/american/?sort=featured&page=1

Swing and a miss for me on this next offer:

https://www.monthlys.com/plans/craft-beer-of-the-month-club

Its a beer of the month club for $42 a month. They have a promo making the first month only $19 delivered. I figured even if the beers they sent me were average, $19 isn't a bad deal for 12 beers to come to your front door. They show off a brewer list that includes Surly and Three Floyds, so I gave it a shot.

They delievered me three of each of the following:

Abita Purple Haze, Abita Restoration Pale Ale, Foothills Carolina Blonde and Foothills Endo IPA.

Nothing spectacular and if that's what they send it would never be worth the $42/month regular price. One good thing I'll say is that signing up and cancelling your subscription was very easy...so if you are going to roll the dice on the $19 promo...its no hassle to cancel.

Finally, today is the first annual Palm Beach Craft Beer Festival in WPB. Their brewer list was weak at first but they just added Great Divide and Lagunitas, so we figure we'll give it a shot.

If anyone in the area plans on attending at the last minute, use code pbcbfculture when on the ticketweb site to get $5 off regular and $10 off VIP admission.

Patiently waiting now for Stone's 10 Anniversary Ruination to make it to S Florida. Anyone had it yet?

Edited by Southtown

What is the cru all about? I've seen that on champagne or American Sparkling Wine but not in beer. .

they are getting full of themselves ,but I forgive them since they make dang good beer

A few random things...

Patiently waiting now for Stone's 10 Anniversary Ruination to make it to S Florida. Anyone had it yet?

IMAG1265.jpg

Really liked it right at the release. It has gotten a touch maltier and boozier since. Really heavy on the citra hops. That with the malt give it a juicy kind of flavor.

Can't wait for their anniversary Rye IPA

Yuengling 12 pack for a late night BBQ after finishing a long, rough week of work. Just wanted something to guzzle.

That said, looking at that Stone Tenth Anny Ruination has me tempted to go back to the beer store. It's not there, but plenty of other Stone products are. Love their regular IPA and Pale Ale; both more than the Ruination and Arrogant ****. Really thought about getting some Sublimely Self-Righteous since I have a bottle of it in my cellar over a year and a half "expired". Will very likely compare it with a fresh bottle at the two year mark.

Anyone else going to this? http://www.hsbeer.com/events/pyrates-pigs-pints/

To paraphrase from the site, "Join us at the brewery to salute nature's greatest pairing: BEER & BACON!" We go every year. They have local restaurants serving up dishes made with bacon, plus they have several different varieties of bacon to eat. They serve many styles of beer, plus they brew special firkins, just for the event.

It's an all you can eat & drink party. If anyone else is going, shoot me a PM and we can throw down some bacon and beer together at the brewery.

Ain't that the life, wow. Beer looks quality too.

Tonight I'm sharing a Double Dog Double Pale Ale 6 pack w/my friend. Flying Dog is hit or miss with me, and this is pretty much the only grand slam I've come across. It's still in my top 10 favorite beers. Lots of nostalgia when drinking this one. Have bought the Double Dog more than any other craft beer. Hate that it's in 6 packs now, the 4 packs were perfect for a quick fix. Now it's just daring you to get completely annihilated. That's why I'm sharing this stuff, might even put yet another one in my cellar.

BTW, the old color scheme is better IMO.

New:

0725ec19028bd600fd653c3adbb9bad0_320x320.jpg

Old:

flying-dog-doubledog.jpg

Can't wait until I move out there!

Double, how is that doubledog? Nevermind, apparently its awesome

I saw some recently and nearly bought it. Might have to go back and get it even if its $13 a six pack

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 02:32 PM ----------

also, have you tried the Gonzo Imperial Porter by flying dog? I saw that one too

Edited by Skinz4Life12

Can't wait until I move out there!

Double, how is that doubledog? Nevermind, apparently its awesome

I saw some recently and nearly bought it. Might have to go back and get it even if its $13 a six pack

I haven't had the Double Dog in so long, because yeah, that price is a tough pill to swallow. Hate the fact that stuff from Victory, Troegs and Stone can reach upwards of $20 a 6 pack. Every time I go to the store I stare at the Hop Wallop, trying to convince myself that it's okay to spend $18 for a 6 pack. Still have never had that stuff.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

That's comfortably my 3rd favorite beer from Flying Dog, behind the Raging ***** and DD. I still have to try the Barrel Aged Gonzo, which is like 8 bucks a 12oz bottle.

what about Kujo? i've been meaning to try it but its hard to find. I also love their Dogtoberfest. I think I like it more than Sam Adams Octoberfest. Its almost that time of the year :)

Also, The Fear is pretty good and will get you lit up

Edited by Skinz4Life12

So, as tough as this can be, if you could only drink one beer for the rest of your life, which would it be?

Personally, I'd go with Sam Adams Octoberfest.

My runner up would probably be Weinstephaner

I fear this question, and will probably give you a different answer every month. Right now if I had to choose I'd probably take the Sierra Nevada Hoptimum. Not the most impressive or interesting beer I've ever had, but it's everything I like in an Imperial IPA. Think it would take several thousand for me to get sick of it.

---------- Post added August-1st-2012 at 02:54 PM ----------

what about Kujo? i've been meaning to try it but its hard to find. I also love their Dogtoberfest. I think I like it more than Sam Adams Octoberfest. Its almost that time of the year :)

Also, The Fear is pretty good and will get you lit up

Holy crap, I forgot about the Dogtoberfest. I too prefer that over the Sam Adams. The style of beer (Marzen) is my favorite to chug. Try Heavy Seas Marzen, which is on shelves all year long, instead of just the Fall. Really good stuff.

Kujo is a really thick bodied coffee stout. Lots of chocolate too, it's a great one, but the competition among Imperial Stouts is insane these days. There are many Imperial Stouts that hold up to that one. Doesn't mean it's bad by any means. Rule of thumb I go by is that if it says "Imperial Stout", it's probably good.

The Fear is definitely the most interesting brew I've had by them, lots spice and dark fruit, I remember thinking that it was all over the place. Not exactly something I'd classify as great, but still a cool switchup.

Without scanning the whole thread, I am not a big beer fan but I enjoy wine, whiskey and just about any other kind of alcohol. Is there a recommended beer that I guess doesn't have that traditional beer taste that might appeal to somebody like me?

What kind of beers do you like? Might be easier to suggest something if we have some idea what your tastes are.