Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

My 3 Midas Touches in the cellar turned 3 years old the other day. Will probably be comparing one of them with a fresh bottle tonight.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/19778987.jpg

Nice! I have one Heavy Seas Below Decks from 2007, and two bombers of Below Decks, but not sure how old they are...I'm too lazy to walk to the beer fridge....I know they're from the first couple of years from when they started putting them in bombers. The Below Decks ages beautifully...

Nice! I have one Heavy Seas Below Decks from 2007, and two bombers of Below Decks, but not sure how old they are...I'm too lazy to walk to the beer fridge....I know they're from the first couple of years from when they started putting them in bombers. The Below Decks ages beautifully...

2007, that's awesome. I drank the aged Midas Touch tonight...compared it with a fresh one, wow. Differences are amazing. I was filmed while testing it out...will post it in a few days. In the meantime, here's my first aged beer video blog. It was done pretty hastily, but let me know if you guys like it!

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

My 3 Midas Touches in the cellar turned 3 years old the other day. Will probably be comparing one of them with a fresh bottle tonight.

When you cellar your beers at what temps do you try to maintain them at? Do you sample at cellar temps (whatever they might be) or do you chill the beer a bit before sampling?

When you cellar your beers at what temps do you try to maintain them at? Do you sample at cellar temps (whatever they might be) or do you chill the beer a bit before sampling?

They stay pretty much around 60-70 degrees, I put aged beers in the fridge around 45 minutes before drinking them. Stored the American Ale in the fridge for the majority of the time I aged it. Just didn't trust it sitting in warmer temps. I have a Loose Cannon with almost 2 years on it, and I should have probably kept it in the fridge. It's the beer I'm most worried about...the sediment in the bottle is ridiculous. It rivals that of the 3 year old Midas Touch.

2007, that's awesome. I drank the aged Midas Touch tonight...compared it with a fresh one, wow. Differences are amazing. I was filmed while testing it out...will post it in a few days. In the meantime, here's my first aged beer video blog. It was done pretty hastily, but let me know if you guys like it!

I only watched the Budweiser one, (so far), but it was pretty cool and entertaining. I thought when you took the first sip of that 2 yr old American Ale, that you were going to go "Oh ****! That really, really sucks!" and spit it out. Glad it turned out well. I'll check out the other videos later.

You should change your board name to "Nutty Malt" :ols:

---------- Post added June-26th-2012 at 08:50 PM ----------

I actually have an old dorm refrigerator and I store them at around 38. I let them warm up quite a bit before drinking.

I only watched the Budweiser one, (so far), but it was pretty cool and entertaining. I thought when you took the first sip of that 2 yr old American Ale, that you were going to go "Oh ****! That really, really sucks!" and spit it out. Glad it turned out well. I'll check out the other videos later.

You should change your board name to "Nutty Malt" :ols:

Sincerely appreciate the feedback, but I think I'll stick with this username :ols: I REALLY have to do research before making these review videos. I'm sitting here reading the bottle of Midas Touch, realizing that I completely forgot to mention its main flavor of honey. Yet again I rushed to do this video out of excitement.

Pisses me off, even though I haven't seen the video yet. I just remember the pressure of being filmed, and only getting one "take" - since there's only one bottle.

When are you planning on drinking that 2007 Below Decks? My biggest word of advice is to drink it alongside a fresh bottle. Truly wish I could have compared the American Ale with a fresh one, it turned from a fast sipping Amber to a quasi Brown Ale.

So, I was in Bethlehem, PA over the weekend for a music festival and went to the Bethlehem Brew Works to get my beer on. I decided to try the Lupin Mass Attack and I thought it was a very good beer. It was a nice balance between hops and malt.

I also picked up bottles of the Nearfest Apocalypse in 9/8 (brewed for the music festival) and had one last night. A heavier beer than what I usually drink (9.8% APV), the alchohol overwhelms it a bit. It still manages to be interesting, but I'd prefer others.

So I've gone through a share of 4 different lagers over the past week. Budweiser, Miller High Life, Heineken, and National Bohemian. This is how I rank them.

Number 1: Heineken. It actually has a sweet malt presence to it that stands out from your typical chugger. I can see how people are put off by it, but I'm not, it stands out from the bunch in a good way.

Number 2: Budweiser. Pains me to admit this, and I'm still never going to independently buy a Budweiser product, but it tastes better than Natty Bo. It's got a slightly fuller body and a little malty nip in the middle of the sip.

Number 3: National Bohemian. Pure straw/corn flavor. Long in to the finish you'll start having the aftertaste of a very feint malt, or maybe it's just the bad breath I get from drinking so much beer.

Number 4: Miller High Life. The Miller series is just the worst in the business. There's just nothing in this. Carbonation gives the impression that you're drinking beer...but it's basically a few notches up from purified water.

When are you planning on drinking that 2007 Below Decks? My biggest word of advice is to drink it alongside a fresh bottle. Truly wish I could have compared the American Ale with a fresh one, it turned from a fast sipping Amber to a quasi Brown Ale.

This fall, when we get the first cold snap. I've drunk the 2006,( hands-down, the best vintage for the Below Decks, ever), next to a 2009, and the difference was amazing. I won't be doing that again, because my experience has shown that the aged Below Decks evolves very nicely. Now that it's only available in the more expensive bombers, I hate to crack open a fresh one for comparison, because it ages so well anyway and it's more expensive now.

Brewery is right down the street from me. Drink it all the time. We make the best IPAs out here in San Diego, and it isn't even close.

i never realized you live out in San Diego. My parents live there now and I will be visiting in August. What are some of the best breweries to hit up when we are out there and where are they located?

i never realized you live out in San Diego. My parents live there now and I will be visiting in August. What are some of the best breweries to hit up when we are out there and where are they located?

Go to Ballast Point, I have been eyeing the Sculpin up for a looooong time, I finally got my hands on some this week, it lives up to the hype. I can see why many people consider it to be one of the best if not the best American IPA on the market.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/199

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/199/29619

http://aleheads.com/2011/07/01/the-best-ipa-in-america/

It really is perfectly balanced and PACKED with tons of hops and flavors that just don't stop.

Edited by GoSkins561

You definitely need to hit up Stone in Escondido. The brewery/restaurant out there is INSANE. I think their hotel is open now, too.

Karl Strauss has some good beers- their amber is my boyfriend's favorite. More of a restaurant than a brewery, but they brew there. We used to go to the one in Carlsbad all the time, but there's one further south.

Green Flash brewery is out there, too.

AND.... Alesmith brewery is near Miramar. My favorite beer (of all beers, not just Alesmith beer) is probably Alesmith's Nautical Nut Brown. I wish I could buy it out here.

Edited by MissU28

I just so happen to have a custom map I made for friends that visit

http://goo.gl/maps/yKq2

If you like IPAs do your best to make a trip to Alpine. They are the best of the best when it comes to hops.

Breweries and beer bars are plentiful out here. I haven't updated that map in a few months and can probably add 5 more breweries to it. I'm trying to keep it more quality than quantity though. I'll try to update it again soon.

What part of town will you be in? Will you have a car?

If you have any specific questions let me know.

Also, if you are ever out here during the football season their is a kick ass Skins bar here too.

---------- Post added June-30th-2012 at 09:32 PM ----------

You definitely need to hit up Stone in Escondido. The brewery/restaurant out there is INSANE. I think their hotel is open now, too.

Karl Strauss has some good beers- their amber is my boyfriend's favorite. More of a restaurant than a brewery, but they brew there. We used to go to the one in Carlsbad all the time, but there's one further south.

Green Flash brewery is out there, too.

AND.... Alesmith brewery is near Miramar. My favorite beer (of all beers, not just Alesmith beer) is probably Alesmith's Nautical Nut Brown. I wish I could buy it out here.

They just started bottling it last month. They dropped the Nautical from the name. A friend of mine runs a bottle shop that ships if you ever feel like treating yourself.

http://www.bineandvine.com/

Edited by Sebowski