Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

:ols: 1.7% alcohol?! Break out your favorite glassware for this one fellas.

Edit: It's actually 4.7% :whew:

The last time I was at Flying Dog Brewery - one of their guys described it as the "gateway drug" to Flying Dog craft beers and the type of beer to take to a tailgate - I think they are going for a broader appeal w/ this one.. So while it is not the most impressive of their line it is solid for what it is!

I like the Flying Dog Simcoe I thought it was excellent, last year you could only buy it in a mixed 12 pack, I really want to try the palet wrecker, the list is sleeping on Sierra Nevada Hoptimum, probably one of the better beers I have ever tried.

Leffe Brune Abbey Dubbel

Really dark brown, creamy off white head. Getting mostly dark fruit and yeast in the aroma. In the flavor, a mild caramel malt mixes with an explosion of yeast, with strong dark fruits right there behind it. Flavor is actually pretty damn pungent. Very creamy body, but an acidic mouthfeel from the carbo. Sort of a trademark of Abbey Ales. This style of beer isn't exactly my favorite, but it's good to switch things up fairly often in this hobby. The Leffe Brune is very much a sipper. Recommend getting a six pack of these bad boys and putting some of them off to the side. Drink them right before the expiration date in a couple years.

leffe-brune.gif?w=300&h=300

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Time of year to get them IPAs rolling out. Starting it off with a good ole fashion six pack of DFH 60 Minute IPA. I'll characterize this as a "Session IPA". Something you'll want to sit down and crush several of during a crab feast or cookout. It's my choice beer when eating Maryland Blue Crabs. Old Bay and DFH 60 were made for each other.

Very soft on the palate. Citrus up front with pine resin on the back end. A caramel-nut malt is constant through the entire tasting process. Bitterness is finely tuned, and it lasts for eons. You'll be tasting bitter hops for an hour after your last sip. Perhaps that sustainability is what makes it combine with food so well. A really easy IPA to drink, and satisfying to the refined palate.

5014761021_322c675e66.jpg

Dogfish Head Chicory Stout is on sale for $8 a four pack right now. Guy said it didn't sell that well over winter. Don't mind if I do...

Beer is a burst of dark chocolate off the bat, with roasted coffee beans soon taking over. Dark fruit and wood notes in the background. Body is relatively light, but the fluffy carbonation is amazing and fills the palate quite well. Low alcohol at 5.2%. I think aging this stuff for a long time is a great idea. Will probably pick up another pack or two with that in mind.

dogfish-head-chicory-stout.gif

Well I'm all out of fresh beer tonight, so I went to the cellar and decided to drink my only Flying Dog Kujo Coffee Stout. Only about 5 months old. Pretty milky body - roasted coffee is prevalent, dark chocolate is massive as well. Getting some dark fruit and wood notes, also a slight smokiness. It's hard for an Imperial Stout to taste bad. :ols: Really good stuff.

3D004CC2-3261-4D60-B024-E5C5B7284460.jpg

On another note, Flying Dog has started packaging Double Dog/Gonzo in six packs instead of four packs. That makes it go from a $9 buzz, to a $13 drunkfest. No thank you. Will be getting that stuff in single bottles from now on.

Heavy Seas Small Craft Warning (Uber Pils)

Bigtime bread & honey flavor initially. A subtle hop bite, with notes of banana and juicy oranges on the finish. Silky texture to this beer, the body is pretty big. Alcohol is almost completely hidden, just a real hearty flavor going on. Unique style, just remember this beer is more on the bready side. If you can handle that then by all means, it's good.

Heavy+Seas+Small+Craft+Warning+%25C3%259Cber+Pils.jpg

You know what I need to start taking more advantage of? The fact that Sierra Nevada is cheap around here. A California beer that's cheap in Maryland. Their common stuff is still under $10 a six pack, while Sam Adams and other breweries not matching the standard of Sierra Nevada still sell their beer for more money. I look at Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, a beer brewed in my own state, and I love that beer (well the old recipe), but it's literally $2 more than the Torpedo IPA. I'm baffled that I pass on this deal all the time.

Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA

Torpedo.jpg

Holy crap the head on this is extremely large and chunky, the Rosie O'Donnell of IPAs. It takes several minutes to recede, leaving a wavy lacing. I passed on smelling it and just went to drinking (it's been a long day, I was thirsty as hell). Mad amount of earthiness...pine, grass, grapefruits, nuts, caramel...balance is simply perfect. Bitterness is set at 8 out of 10, not too outrageous, this is actually a pretty mellow drink when you get past the name of this beer. If you love IPAs, this is an absolute must.

Nova Brewfest is in a couple weeks, and there is a groupon for half-priced tickets (10 bucks)-

http://www.groupon.com/deals/northern-virginia-summer-brewfest?sd=false&utm_campaign=UserReferral_dp&utm_medium=email&utm_source=uu8591698

I had already bought my tickets, but this is a great deal. I paid double :( These tickets are only for Sunday, though- I'm planning to go on Saturday. Just an FYI, if anyone is interested

Had Heineken on tap last weekend across the street from the brewery. Almost justified the trip to Amsterdam in itself. I'll never be able to buy the Heineken swill we wind up with here again...over there it was nectar and went down a little too easy. The beer in Germany just kicks any beers ass here so badly that it's a real shame. I've never tasted pilsners so good and every region had their own so it was easy to taste a fairly wide sampling. I'm proud to say the town from which my families name was derived had one of the tastiest out there - Palmbrau is some good ****.

Edited by KAOSkins

The beer in Germany just kicks any beers ass here so badly that it's a real shame.

5170679340_ee96d31728.jpg

The craft breweries in the US are making some excellent beer.

If you like Pilsners, I would try the Victory Prima Pils.

Edited by GoSkins561

Depends where you live and I don't have access to anything I would consider even close - although it's still drinkable :D. Difference is over there you can count on it no matter where you are. That said, I've had plenty of good beers in micro-breweries that I wouldn't complain about at all but none of them have come close to that Heineken. And that's commercial as they come.

Depends where you live and I don't have access to anything I would consider even close - although it's still drinkable :D. Difference is over there you can count on it no matter where you are. That said, I've had plenty of good beers in micro-breweries that I wouldn't complain about at all but none of them have come close to that Heineken. And that's commercial as they come.

Really? {i'm sure the atmosphere had something to do with it. I'll give you a perfect example, have you tried Fat Tire?

A Fat Tire while sitting slope side in Colorado is one of the best beers you will ever drink, crack one on the deck while grilling, and it's average at best.

Prima Pils is a great beer keep your eyes open for it.

Fat Tire is decent beer no doubt but it isn't as good most of the German beers I had. I'm convinced that those laws they have about beer being fresh and pure puts them at an advantage over American beer that's shipped around the country. They have to produce local since they pull it off the shelves after 30 days or something, just like we do with milk which is also usually produced regionally, not nationally.

I found they provide the same experience when your having one after a gondola ride up a mountain in the alps - only the beer is a little better. I've had micro-brews from all over the country and they're just not as consistently good as the beers I drank in various parts of Germany they were all exceptional. Christ they've been brewing the stuff the way they do now for a long time, no shame in giving credit where credit is due.

I'll try to find that Prima. There is one store in town that might carry it and I'm guessing it sits on the shelf there for more than 30 days.

Edited by KAOSkins

Hell, Samuel Adams Noble Pils is an amazing session brew. Their Imperial Pilsner is a beast.

For me, Imperial Pilsners make that style shine 100x better than when they're simply your basic Pilsners. As opposed to the world of India Pale Ales, where you can have incredible IPAs that match the greatness of the best DIPAs. I would take a Southern Tier Krampus over any sort of basic Pilsner any day of the week. The DFH My Antonia was very good, so was their Golden Era. Hell, I just reviewed the Heavy Seas Small Craft Warning a few posts ago. That stuff is really good.

---------- Post added June-6th-2012 at 10:39 PM ----------

Fat Tire is decent beer no doubt but it isn't as good most of the German beers I had. I'm convinced that those laws they have about beer being fresh and pure puts them at an advantage over American beer that's shipped around the country. They have to produce local since they pull it off the shelves after 30 days or something, just like we do with milk which is also usually produced regionally, not nationally.

I found they provide the same experience when your having one after a gondola ride up a mountain in the alps - only the beer is a little better. I've had micro-brews from all over the country and they're just not as consistently good as the beers I drank in various parts of Germany they were all exceptional. Christ they've been brewing the stuff the way they do now for a long time, no shame in giving credit where credit is due.

I'll try to find that Prima. There is one store in town that might carry it and I'm guessing it sits on the shelf there for more than 30 days.

When you're dealing with the highest quality beer on the planet, like the Victory Prima Pils, it is very possible that aging it in the bottle will make it taste even better. I've aged everything from Amber Ales to Imperial Stouts, and it has pretty much always benefited the beer. Pilsners might be a little sketchy, but 30 days on the Prima Pils is nothing. You can bet your house that I'd age one for a couple years.