Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Sipping:

From Bell's Brewing, Inc.

Comstock, Michigan

Good choice one of my faves...Anyone tried the Sam Adams Whitewater IPA? Some apricot in there but done well (unlike Magic Hat #9). Not sure I could have too many but a decent spring beer. Also Otter Creek Spring Bock is really good this year for the spring season (not quite as good as Sierra Nevada Glissade) but in the same vein. Speaking of Glissade Im going to miss it this spring :( wish they did not do away with it for this year.

Edited by Warpath11

Tried Golden Monkey from Victory Brewing - solid beer for those who like Belgians....

-Nice, d0ublestr0ker0ll, Heavy Seas has a good line.

-LOL @ the Kurt Angle pose in that photo, Sebowski

I actually have a bunch of similar shots. I'll start posting some here if you guys like them.

IMAG0542.jpg

i'm sipping on a Lagunitas Imperial Stout, 9.9 on the richter scale and absolutly delicious, malty with coco and some dark fruits, I highly reccomend this brew.

22oz for $4.99, can't beat it.

I need to try that one. Lagunitas makes some excellent beers.

I think I've reviewed it on here before but this might be my favorite current beer:

little-sumpin-sumpin-label.jpg

torpedo
Tonight, poker night, I wanted something extra hoppy to cut through the flavor of the bourbon I'll be drinking on the side.

All set.

just pummeled one myself. followed by a ruthless rye. excellent.....

Edited by grego

Sipping:

From Bell's Brewing, Inc.

Comstock, Michigan

Haven't had this in some time, but I remember it being very hoppy and very good. I might have to head over to Total Wine this week and get a six pack.

I wonder, is the name a Hemingway reference?

Yeah. I think the label even says it is "perfect for those Hemingway-esque trips to the Upper-Peninsula" or something.

Edited by HogNose

• 2 weeks later...

Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter.

flyingDogGonzo.jpg

This stuff has a thick licorice aroma to it; then notes of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and a slight roastiness. Sweet smell. Flavor is a major curveball of bitter roast that reminds me of a Guinness Extra Stout, except even more "Extra". Dark chocolate and coffee notes are trying to bust through, but the roast is just way--way bitter. It dominates the finish. Nice and thick body with a good alcohol sting makes this one hell of a "lively" porter. Action packed.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Flying Dog Gonzo Imperial Porter.

This stuff has a thick licorice aroma to it; then notes of coffee, chocolate, vanilla, and a slight roastiness. Sweet smell. Flavor is a major curveball of bitter roast that reminds me of a Guinness Extra Stout, except even more "Extra". Dark chocolate and coffee notes are trying to bust through, but the roast is just way--way bitter. It dominates the finish. Nice and thick body with a good alcohol sting makes this one hell of a "lively" porter. Action packed.

Had the Oaked Aged version last night, it was dynomite!!

On a different note, i picked up a six pack of Heavy Seas Hop 3 IPA, i'm not sure what has happened to it, if I got a bad batch, but it isn't good, it kind of tastes like it use to, but something has changed.

The+Alchmist+Heady-Topper.JPG

Heady Topper from The Alchemist (Vermont brewery)

This double-IPA is an excellent beer for any hop-head, if you can get your hands on this I'd recommend it. Aroma is amazing, floral with strong citrus fruits (lots of grapefruit). Does have a nice malt backbone to balance out the 120 IBUs.

So was up in Boston this weekend and stopped by the Sam Adams Brewery. If anyone ever gets to Boston, you have to go there. First off, its completely free, they just ask for a $2 donation. Second, you get free samples of beer. The 3 they had samples of were Boston Lager, Summer Ale, and Latitude 48. Had all those before, but it was pretty cool getting to try them right from the brewery. Also, there is a special Sam Adams called Brick Red, that they only sell to local bars in Boston. Had a few of those and it was probably one of the better beers I've had. Was a reddish looking beer with great flavor.

Also came home with some gifts. Bought a 3 pack of their Barrel Room Collection that had Thirteenth Hour, Stony Brook Red, and American Kriek. Really excited to give these a try. The 13th Hour is 9%.

b642a4bf-f3f4-4860-a3f5-8b0c51f72232.jpgf50edbf5-8c24-4df9-95c7-9048c5e8ede5.jpge17a4f42-0480-4b32-84ea-13c4ebe123a3.jpg

Edited by MattFancy

My #1 cheap beer in the world is definitely Yuengling Black & Tan. Lately I've been in a chugging mood, and can't bring myself to get anything other than the Black & Tan. I like it a lot more than their Lager and Porter. Has a sweet smokey flavor to it, I drink them right out of the bottle. Bought a case-worth this week.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Spent the weekend on the Space Coast for some Nats Spring Training, and we happened to stumble upon this place after we got stuck in traffic on A1A right outside their front door:

IMG02797-20090617-1230C2x800.jpg

http://www.cocoabeachbrewingcompany.com/index.htm

What a pleasant surprise. Their bar area was a sun-splashed, welcoming, comfortable place and they had four of their beers, brewed next door, on tap - Cocoa Beach Pale Ale, 888 IPA, "Not Just Some" Oatmeal Stout, and Cocoa Beach Dirty Blonde Ale. The owners' tween-age daughter was finishing up a handwritten sign "Beer vs. Traffic? Beer Wins!." She walked outside, held up the sign and drew in a couple customers tired of sitting in traffic, then came back in to high fives all around.

Had a pint of Cocoa Beach Pale Ale and "Not Just Some" Oatmeal Stout, and some pleasant conversation. I would highly recommend a visit if you're ever in Cocoa Beach.

• 2 weeks later...

Ingenious Frozen Foam Makes Beer Better

What’s not to love about beer? It’s one of the most cherished refreshments on the planet, largely because it’s practically perfect. And while beer companies and breweries are endlessly coming up with strategies to improve their brew, many of their efforts miss the mark. (Looking at you, iced tea-flavored Coors.) Some beer companies are the beverage equivalent of pushy stage mothers, always trying to turn beer into something it’s not. Newsflash: it’s fine the way it is, guys!

Except, of course, when it’s not. Even the best of beers can be afflicted by the hazards of a lukewarm cooler or too much sunshine. That’s why we appreciate a company that puts its creative efforts into delicious problem solving. And thanks to that creative effort, warm beer — also known as the bane of summer — won’t be a problem much longer for the lucky brew drinkers of Japan. The geniuses at the Kirin brewery have developed the perfect solution to lukewarm, unappetizing beer by making their own frozen foam.

The company created the frozen foam by cooling its Ichiban brew to 23 degrees Fahrenheit, while a machine continuously blows air into the mixture. The result is a frothy, creamy topping that is frozen and made from beer (essential, as when it melts you won’t be watering down your drink).

Click on the link for the full article

Had these guys over the holiday weekend:

Deviant Dales Indian Pale Ale (Oskar Blues)

deviant.jpg

Another IPA for the hop lovers little more in-yourface hops but nice grapefruit/apricot notes with an impressive malt bill that kicks in some sweetness. Might be a touch too high on the hops (dont remember the IBUs but way more than regular Dales Pale Ale), IMO but still a very good brew.

Dogfish Head Burton Baton Imperial India Pale Ale (really hard to find)

Dogfish_Head_Burton_Baton.jpg

Google to look up how its made the beer itself is very good though almost too complex with the aging.

Ucommon Brewers Bacon Brown Ale:

5e8c61f277b8229350dd4fc504791ba7_320x320.jpg

Kind of gimmicky but actually ended up being pretty decent. The bacon adds a bit of smoke flavor not so much a whallop of bacon which, IMO, is pretty good. Id recommend to try it but not the best.

Had these guys over the holiday weekend:

Deviant Dales Indian Pale Ale (Oskar Blues)

Another IPA for the hop lovers little more in-yourface hops but nice grapefruit/apricot notes with an impressive malt bill that kicks in some sweetness. Might be a touch too high on the hops (dont remember the IBUs but way more than regular Dales Pale Ale), IMO but still a very good brew.

Is the flavor similiar to the regular Dales, or does it seem like they used a different type of hops? I can't wait to try it!

Is the flavor similiar to the regular Dales, or does it seem like they used a different type of hops? I can't wait to try it!

Not that similar the hops are the real show in the Deviant Dale's. I think there is a bit more balance in Dale's Pale Ale since I dont think its as aggressively dry hopped as DD. Also the hop variety in the DD is slightly different in that it uses more aromatic hops (grapefruit/apricot/pine notes) but the dry hopping does lend some bitterness to the finish. Give it a shot!