Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Just got back from Eddie Montgomery's restaurant where they had Sam Adams Boston Lager on tap...I remember now why it is one of my favorite brews out there, nice mellow malts, smooth all the way around and a fantastic finish just about a perfect beer, and at $5 for a 22oz glass you simply can't go wrong.

I was informed that there will be a ton of Budweisers chilling in the coolers at my folks' house for a family reunion today. They said don't worry about beer, funny.

Seems that this description alone should be cause to worry about the beer.:pfft:

My contribution to the party is a 6er of Raging *****, for myself. :)

Yep, sometimes when they just don't understand you have to take matters into your own hands.

Black & Tan....Guinness & Bass mixed to the appropriate proportions. (i.e. 2 parts Bass to 1 part Guinness). Chill both to 45 degrees.

Bass first with Guinness poured over the top so it sinks in and rains over the top. A balanced brew plus it gives the perfect amount of head. No arguments.

Landed a job at Clipper City Brewery (Heavy Seas). Starting June 21st, I will be their keg line guy. :D

Hey man, I didn't realize that was something you'd be pursuing right away when we were talking the other day. Congratulations!

Hey man, I didn't realize that was something you'd be pursuing right away when we were talking the other day. Congratulations!

Well, it was a whirlwind 48 hours. Handed my resume off at 2:45 Wednesday and was offered a job at 4pm Friday. Lots of serendipity involved - like it was fate. I'm feeling pretty good right about now. :)

I've been consistently doing beer reviews for the past month, and I thought I'd share this one with you guys. This stuff goes for $8.69 a 4-pack at my local Deli, and I think that it's one of the best beers I've ever had. I'd like to get some of you guys to try it and see if I'm hallucinating. I've had single bottled beers over $8 that can't touch this stuff.

Flying Dog Double Dog Double Pale Ale

doubledog.jpg

Lots of smoke out the top of the bottle. Pours clear amber with a lot of carbonation. Fluffy off-white head, good lacing. Good looking beer.

Aroma is a whirl of citrus and pine hops, heavy caramel, powdered sugar, tootsie rolls and slight alcohol. Nothing but pleasant.

Taste is a smack of citrus hops with pine underneath. Caramel is a few levels weaker than it is in the aroma; it could be that it's mostly drowned out by the hops. This has all the qualities of an ass-kicking IPA with a slick caramel backbone. Considerably thick body makes this a hearty, fulfilling brew. Excellent. Considering market price, it's a complete and utter steal.

A (94)

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Anderson Vally Brewing Company: Summer Solstice Cerveza Crema

3942cb00.jpg

That's a long name for a pretty good beer. I tried one of these at Brickskeller on my birthday last weekend and then again the next night at this new bar near my place. I had it in a can at Brickskeller and a bottle at the second location.

I'm usually not a fan of "summer" beers. I usually associate some kind of lemony flavor with them but this beer is different.

As far as taste goes, it's got a very medium-bodied taste but with an inexplicably creamy finish. As the name implies (Cerveza Crema) this beer has a velvety aftertaste almost like a cream soda but it's not really sweet at all. Very difficult to describe. Some of my friends had one and so did my girlfriend and we all seemed to agree on the great taste of this beer but had a hard time explaining the smooth finish but lack of sweetness.

This beer tastes great and is medium enough to not get too heavy when you drink a few and it's not too light to leave you thirsty after a couple.

Very good beer. I'd give it an A-/B+ for drinkability. Great beer for the warm weather IMO.

Landed a job at Clipper City Brewery (Heavy Seas). Starting June 21st, I will be their keg line guy. :D

:applause:

Very nice, congrats man! That makes at least two ESers now who work at breweries. The other is Big Mike, he works at Stone Brewery in the SD area.

Did you see the Greene Turtle in Owings Mills opened yesterday? I was pretty pumped! They have an autographed McNabb Skins jersey in there already!!

Did you see the Greene Turtle in Owings Mills opened yesterday? I was pretty pumped! They have an autographed McNabb Skins jersey in there already!!

I saw it was coming, I didn't know it opened already. georgiaredskin, rincewind and I have been bouncing from place to place trying to find a bar where we can watch Skins games that has decent food, reasonably priced beer and a good view of the game.

Hopefully the Turtle will work!

I saw it was coming, I didn't know it opened already. georgiaredskin, rincewind and I have been bouncing from place to place trying to find a bar where we can watch Skins games that has decent food, reasonably priced beer and a good view of the game.

Hopefully the Turtle will work!

That's where I will most likely be. I live a half-mile from it so its very close!

Finishing up my 4th Flying Dog DDD Pale Ale...I'd really like to hear your guys' opinions on it. I think it crushes other quality American Strong Ales. Honestly, I don't see how Stone Arrogant **** has anything on this...and it costs 3 times as much money. Scrumtralescent.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

I think Flying Dog puts out a lot of really good stuff, especially at their price point. I haven't had a chance to try that one.

Part of the problem is that the liquor stores near me don't tend to have a very good selection. They have your typical mid-level beers, but don't stock a lot of the more niche things like barley wines, Scotch Ales, etc.

The one store I know of with a pretty good craft beer selection charges through the roof from what I remember. I've only been in there once.

If anyone knows of liquor store with a great beer selection in the Northern/Western Baltimore metro area, please throw me a bone.

I think Flying Dog puts out a lot of really good stuff, especially at their price point. I haven't had a chance to try that one.

Part of the problem is that the liquor stores near me don't tend to have a very good selection. They have your typical mid-level beers, but don't stock a lot of the more niche things like barley wines, Scotch Ales, etc.

The one store I know of with a pretty good craft beer selection charges through the roof from what I remember. I've only been in there once.

If anyone knows of liquor store with a great beer selection in the Northern/Western Baltimore metro area, please throw me a bone.

Wells in Towson. Right on York Rd just past the WBAL station and Towson University. They have just about any type of beer/wine/liquor you can imagine.

Wish I could get a bottle of Starr Hill... Love their Dark Starr Stout.

I've heard this beer mentioned several times in this thread, and I understand that everyone is different...but I've had a few stouts that are just as (even more) tasty and cheaper at the same time. Check out Dominion Oak Barrel, Wild Goose Oatmeal, Sam Adams Cream Stout and especially their Honey Porter. They're found all over the place (at least in Maryland) and cost a dollar less. I tried the Dark Starr Stout and immediately regretted not getting their Northern Lights IPA, which is damn good.

Flying Dog is usually hit or miss for me. I don't like their Gonzo Imperial Porter as much as the majority does. Their Classic Pale Ale was easily forgettable. Their Raging ***** is pretty polarizing, but I really like it. The Double Dog on the other hand is definitely one of the best beers I've ever had.

Flying Dog is usually hit or miss for me. I don't like their Gonzo Imperial Porter as much as the majority does. Their Classic Pale Ale was easily forgettable. Their Raging ***** is pretty polarizing, but I really like it. The Double Dog on the other hand is definitely one of the best beers I've ever had.

That's true, they have some things that are forgettable. I also seem to remember their Hefeweizen being a little bit too spiced up for my taste. It was kinda like trying to drink a bottle of potpourri.

Overall I like their stuff better than most.

(You didn't think potpourri would ever be mentioned in a beer thread, did you?) :pfft:

On another note, somebody mentioned Belhaven's a little while back, which is really good stuff. If you like that, try McEwan's Scotch Ale.