Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Beer Thread

RedskinsFanInTX

Draft, bottle or can?

Draft

Foreign or domestic?

Either, there are some really good domestic microbrews, and some very good foreign beers as well. Why limit yourself?

Hot, cold or warm?

Cold

Give me a a cold bottle of Budweiser.

Um... No. There are many better beers out there. Who makes beer with rice anyway?

Edited by China

I was wondering how long it was going to take for us to get our first sighting of a beer snob... lol

sam-beer-snob.gif

Look at some posts prior to mine. Other people have already posted preferring things like Guinness. I'm not the first. :) Oh, and having good taste doesn't make you a snob. Some beers just taste better than others. It's all a matter of personal opinion. Price has nothing to do with it. I'd rather have a Yuengling than Bud, and Yuengling is cheap.

At the Austin Grill last week I had a Pale Ale on tap from Hawaii. They had just started pouring that brand. That was the tastiest beer I've had in months. I can't remember the name of it, though. I'm gonna have to call them and ask.
Fire Rock maybe?

Ding! I called Austin Grill, and it was Fire Rock Pale Ale from Hawaii's Kona Brewing Company. Just the right bite of hoppiness and a nice copper color. The bartender said they've reordered more, so they'll be pouring it for awhile.

Edited by Dan T.

With the exception of Guinness, Ice cold beer. Only drafts I usually drink are Black and Tans (or from my own kegerator).

I love microbrews and small batch beer, but I love Miller Lite on a typical day just hanging out. I never pour a bottle beer into a glass...it comes in a glass.

Look at some posts prior to mine. Other people have already posted preferring things like Guinness. I'm not the first. :) Oh, and having good taste doesn't make you a snob. Some beers just taste better than others. It's all a matter of personal opinion. Price has nothing to do with it. I'd rather have a Yuengling than Bud, and Yuengling is cheap.

I was just kiddin.

For the record, Yuengling has started selling Yuengling Light, and it's awesome. 100 calories a can and it's probably the best light beer I've had.

I love microbrews and small batch beer, but I love Miller Lite on a typical day just hanging out. I never pour a bottle beer into a glass...it comes in a glass.

HA I've seen a lot of my friends pour bottled beer into glasses, and they always say that it tastes different when you drink it out of a glass than when you take a swig out of a bottle, but I don't buy it...

I prefer Bud Light, but honestly I've never really given Miller Lite a chance. Back in high school, when my taste buds were still developing, I had my first taste of ML and I HATED it, mainly because I wasn't used to beer at that time. Since then, I've stayed away from Miller Lite. I feel like I kinda should try it out again, since that was then and this is now.

For the record, Yuengling has started selling Yuengling Light, and it's awesome. 100 calories a can and it's probably the best light beer I've had.

REALLY? Did not know that...

Edited by styx491

I was just kiddin.

I may have to check it out. As much as I despise light beer, I need to lose weight, and switching to light beer rather than quitting beer altogether seems like a good place to start.

:cheers:

when I play beer pong I can only use the finest Bud Light in a can. It has to have a specific born on date or I will toss it to the peasants in the audience.

A rule of thumb for me is, I play beer pong with PBR but keep a good beer opened to sip on during the game....my local watering hole has a beer pong tournament on Saturday nights, and the special that night is $2 PBR tall boys and $2.75 microbrews...so they make it easy for me :)

I prefer Bud Light, but honestly I've never really given Miller Lite a chance. Back in high school, when my taste buds were still developing, I had my first taste of ML and I HATED it, mainly because I wasn't used to beer at that time. Since then, I've stayed away from Miller Lite. I feel like I kinda should try it out again, since that was then and this is now.

I have to say that I think that Miller Lite has the best "flavor" out of the usual domestic light beers - I used to like Bud Light and Coors Light more but now they just seem like water - I can actually taste Miller Lite.

Although I usually prefer a good import or something like Sam Adams light - Miller Lite is good for gameday and what not.

Draft (I keep a keg tapped at all times ;))

Foreign & Domestic (as in craft brews..can't do Bud/Coors/Miller/Yuengling, etc)

Drinking temp depends on the beer.

I prefer stouts in the mid-40's.

I typically keep ales,(and the occasional lager), on tap and the beer temp at the faucet is exactly 38 degrees, which is how I like it for those styles.

For those cold winter nights I enjoy a good Barleywine. I take the bottle out of the fridge and let it sit on the counter for 15-20 minutes before I pour it in the glass.

Do I sound like a beer snob?

It's because I am. :cheers:

• Thanks 1

HA I've seen a lot of my friends pour bottled beer into glasses, and they always say that it tastes different when you drink it out of a glass than when you take a swig out of a bottle, but I don't buy it...

It's true.

That's because of the thin film of beer left on the mouth of the bottle during crowning (capping), process. It was exposed to air and trapped beneath the cap. The film is stale and has a noticeable off taste.

You can taste for yourself. Open a bottle of beer, and take a sip. Then do the same thing with another bottle of the same beer, but wipe off the mouth of the bottle, before you sip.

Big difference.

Using a glass also allows the beer to release more aroma and flavor. Truthfully, the best beer is fresh draft, as long as it's stored at the correct pressure and temperature and dipensed through clean lines.

You know what else? Cans are better than bottles for storing beer......

Edited by Skinsfan1311
removed text

It's true.

That's because of the thin film of beer left on the mouth of the bottle during crowning (capping), process. It was exposed to air and trapped beneath the cap. The film is stale and has a noticeable off taste.

You can taste for yourself. Open a bottle of beer, and take a sip. Then do the same thing with another bottle of the same beer, but wipe off the mouth of the bottle, before you sip.

Big difference.

Using a glass also allows the beer to release more aroma and flavor. Truthfully, the best beer is fresh draft, as long as it's stored at the correct pressure and temperature and dipensed through clean lines.

I always wondered why that was. I must nominate Negra Modelo as the best beer ever. Honorable mentions for Newcastle Brown Ale, Corona, any heffenweisen, and almost anything from Sam Adams, especially Scotch Ale.

And cans suck. :2cents:

It's true.

Big difference.

I've heard that the "correct" way to pour a beer from a bottle is to pour it directly into the center of the glass to release all of the carbonation and aroma.

Personally though, I like to pour it down the side of the glass so the carbonation makes me burp....it also seems like the beer tastes crisper poured down the side of the glass.

Steps to a Perfect Pint

• Use a clean glass. A dirty glass, containing oils, dirt or residuals from a previous beer, may inhibit head creation and flavours.
  • Hold your glass at a 45° angle. Pour the beer, targeting the middle of the slope of the glass. Don't be afraid to pour hard or add some air between the bottle and glass.
  • At the half-way point bring the glass at a 90° angle and continue to pour in the middle of the glass. This will induce the perfect foam head. And remember, having a head on a beer is a good thing. It releases the beer’s aromatics and adds to the overall presentation. You may also want to gradually add distance between the bottle and glass as you pour, to also inspire a good head. An ideal head should be 1" to 1-1/2".

This is from the website Beer Advocate. A great site and a must for "beer snobs"

http://beeradvocate.com/

I love beer. From the cheapest to the rarest, I almost love 'em all. Ale, Lager, Dark, Microbrewed. Can't get enough.

Not a fan of Corona, SA Winter Lager, Beck's, or Yuengling Light. For those that want to try out Yuengling light, stick with the original...it's 10x better.

Edited by d0ublestr0ker0ll

Not a fan of Corona, SA Winter Lager, Beck's, or Yuengling Light. For those that want to try out Yuengling light, stick with the original...it's 10x better.

Man I can't get enough of SA Winter Lager. I bought two 12-packs of it this weekend.

A lot of people love the Oktoberfest bit the Winter Lager is where it's at for me. It's heavy and spicy and perfect for when it's cold out.

Man I can't get enough of SA Winter Lager. I bought two 12-packs of it this weekend.

A lot of people love the Oktoberfest bit the Winter Lager is where it's at for me. It's heavy and spicy and perfect for when it's cold out.

Had it on draft 3 times, every time I did I was "giving it a chance". Had to switch to something else each time. Maybe I should try it in the bottle...they selling it yet?

Haven't really had much Sam Adams, I know, blasphemy. Never had Oktoberfest, either. Bout to go pick up some beer, might try it out...any recommendations for a typical beer store, QBK?