Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Should Felons be allowed to vote?

ljs

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I got into this discussion w/ a friend last night, who didn't realize that convicted felons lose their right to vote. She totally disagreed. Being prior law enforcement, I was totally shocked that someone would think that a murderer should still be allowed to vote.

Some felons can petition to get their voting right back, but I definitely think those convicted of felonious crimes should lose their right to vote.

~I'm working on the poll, so hang on.

Here is some information for Washington state http://wei.secstate.wa.gov/osos/en/voterinformation/Pages/felons.aspx

If the Felony Occurred Before July 1, 1984:

If the felony occurred prior to July 1, 1984, and the person has completed all requirements of the sentence, the person may petition the Indeterminate Sentencing Review Board. The Indeterminate Sentencing Review Board has additional information on its website. The Board may be reached at (360) 493-9266.

If the person received a suspended sentence instead of a prison term, and completed all requirements of the suspended sentence, the person should check the court file in the County Clerk’s Office to see if a Certificate of Discharge has already been issued. A Certificate of Discharge may have already been issued and placed in the court file, even if the felon never received a copy. If the sentencing court has not already issued a Certificate, the person can petition the court to issue a Certificate. The Administrative Office of the Courts has forms and additional information about petitioning the sentencing court for the Certificate of Discharge.

If the Conviction was in Federal Court:

The Washington State Clemency and Pardons Board has the authority to restore civil rights for a person convicted of a felony in federal court. For more information about petitioning the Clemency and Pardons Board, call (360) 902-4111.

If the Conviction Occurred in another State:

Each state has its own laws regarding losing the right to vote if convicted of a felony. For example, some states restore the right to vote as soon as the prison term is completed. In Maine and Vermont, a convicted felon does not lose the right to vote. In every other state, persons convicted of a felony lose the right to vote for a period of time.

If the person would be eligible to vote in the state where convicted, the person is eligible to vote in Washington. Click here for a map showing voting rights restoration laws in other states. Contact the state elections office in the state where convicted to find out how to restore the right to vote.

considering that crimes are added to the felony list all the time... even some traffic violations... I'm going to have to say yes they should be able to vote. In fact I'd say that no state can ever declare anything a felony crime. All new felonies should require a 2/3rds majority vote on a national level.

Anything that makes it ok for the government to deny you rights should require much more serious consideration than it does at the moment.

Serious question, what are the arguments against felons voting (I assume we are talking about those that have already finished any prison/parole/probation time).

Because as I see it, once you have finished any time in prison or parole/probation I think you should get your right to vote back.

Why? What is wrong with having consequences for your actions? If you're convicted of a felony, you lose your right to vote. Convince me why that is wrong?

I have no problem with the law as it is.

Do the crime, do the time and then you are allowed to try again. People make mistakes. There are a lot of different levels of felonies.

Here's the for and against:

Pro-felony disenfranchisement

Proponents of felony disenfranchisement contend that felonies are, by definition, serious crimes, and that persons who commit felonies have 'broken' the social contract, and have thereby given up their right to participate in a civil society. Proponents may view disenfranchisement as simply being another form of punishment for the crime committed, or a deterrent to future crime. Some argue that felons have shown poor judgment, and that they should therefore not have a voice in the political decision-making process. Others[citation needed] go so far as to draw this concept to what is deemed to be its logical ultimate conclusion: that a wealthy person who commits a felony should also be deprived of all of their property, in order to prevent them from participating in the political process financially.

[edit] Anti-felony disenfranchisement

Opponents point to empirical evidence that the relatively small proportion of ex-felons who do participate in the political process by voting are less likely to return to crime. They note that felony disenfranchisement is often accompanied by other deprivations of civil rights, such as the ability to work in certain professions, which make it harder for former convicts to lead productive lives. Some also contend that it may be cruel and unusual punishment, in violation of the Eighth Amendment, to sentence someone to a lifelong prohibition from voting based on a single felony conviction. They point to instances of teenagers being convicted of relatively minor crimes which can still be classified as felonies, like trespassing on a construction site or stealing a stop sign, and argue that the law should not operate to deprive them of fundamental rights that they might not appreciate until many years later. Some contend that the right to vote is such a fundamental protection against potential government tyranny that should never be deprived, no matter the circumstances. It has also been argued[citation needed] that felony disenfranchisement in some states, especially Florida in the 2000 Presidential election, de-facto amounts to racism[4][5] Research by sociologists Jeff Manza and Chris Uggen shows the impact of disenfranchisement on the outcome of elections. [6] Their research also suggests that persons involved in the criminal justice system who vote may have lower rates of recidivism.[7]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felony_disenfranchisement

People currently in prison for felonies should not vote. Once out, you have paid you debt to society and thus should be allowed to vote.

Someone who goes to prison for a very violent crime is a person that is nowhere near being a person that you would ever want to be a part in deciding something as important as an ELECTION. Sure they may have served 25 years for rape or murder, but do honestly think this person is someone who should ever be allowed to take part in the shaping of how a society is run or does its business? It's amazing and breath-taking that 1 in 4 people on this thread have a "oh, it's no big deal" attitude over this. Really amazing....and it's proof that there's an entire generation out there that ultimately don't care about anything.

Serious question, what are the arguments against felons voting (I assume we are talking about those that have already finished any prison/parole/probation time).

Because as I see it, once you have finished any time in prison or parole/probation I think you should get your right to vote back.

It's because convicted felons have displayed a mentality of a sick and deranged person. Just because they served out the sentence imposed by a judge does not magically make them mentality normal when they are released from prison. Do you honestly want the way that YOU LIVE decided by a freak (who has molested kids or killed people, etc) who was allowed to vote?

Archived