Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sojourners: Jim Wallis: James Dobson’s ‘Letter From 2012 in Obama’s America’

AsburySkinsFan

no, it's not like that. I am very conservative by nature. When I have the time and the resources. I will provide my company's tax credits for year 2007. Why is this important you may ask? Without this tax credit, I would not have been as profitable. Inturn, I can afford to hire more employees. This is just the tip of the iceberg. There are more tax breaks and write offs. It's very tedious to sit here and go over every single one. At the end of the day we all have our own agendas. That's why it doesn't make sense for me to vote Obama.

I don't believe that you own a company that "employees" 100 people or that you went to med school. I doubt you even own an i-Phone, unles mom and dad bought it for you. Given the nature of your posts, you are faking it. Just a hunch, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

You know that's it right there. You don't know Obama and yet if he says that he voted a certain way for a certain reason that actually might justify itself even in your mind then he has to be lying. I'm sorry Seabee but that is exactly what it means to be blinded by ideology, you don't even know him and yet anything rational that comes out of his mouth must by your definition be a lie. You've already made up your mind about Obama and as such you are refusing to listen to anything he might say lest it damage your disdain for him. Sorry man but that's just wrong, spiritually and secularly.

I know Obama Quite well

ike I said Im a Christocrat and I challange you as a preacher to be one also

I know Obama Quite well

You do? Personally? You personally know Illinois Senator Barack Obama? And in your meeting with him you know him to be a liar? Because if you do not have evidence to back up your claim then I sir suggest that you stop slandering people.

ike I said Im a Christocrat and I challange you as a preacher to be one also

A Christocrat? So who will you be voting for on Tuesday?

What does Obama do that is unchristian? Is it helping the poor help themselves? Is it wanting to end the war? Which is it, huh, you god fearing christian you?

That's what I would like to know.

My pastor, who I have respected greatly, came out today in his sermon and said that "if you don't vote the way the Bible tells you to (McCain/Palin), then you are not living by faith."

Went on to say that "you shouldn't let the financial crisis or a war affect your vote. That's just a trick of the enemy."

Ignorance. Complete ignorance.

Or Jumbos "Stunning" grasp of "Spellging" :laugh:

or maybe IHOPs ill-timed "mod prod"

Most people here know the diff between typos and spelling, particularly given the poster's record. ;)

I am an extraordinarily competent speller and an atrociously spastic keyboardist.:D

God forbid we give woman rights in this country, literally.

What a horrible thing to do, right?:rolleyes:

I'm wondering what exactly the religious right is going to think when they get up on November 5th and Obama is President.

Will they finally realize that this country isn't going to let them control everything?

My pastor, who I have respected greatly, came out today in his sermon and said that "if you don't vote the way the Bible tells you to (McCain/Palin), then you are not living by faith."

Went on to say that "you shouldn't let the financial crisis or a war affect your vote. That's just a trick of the enemy."

I'd have a hard time going back to that church, your pastor has over stepped his bounds and sounds like he is getting dangerously close to needing a visit from the IRS.

Yeah my favorite is making sure we can't use stem cells to stop horrible diseases. I'm sure God gave them lots of brownie points for that one. Recently was reading about a little girl that could never see, now with stem cell treatments in a different country she can, simply amazing. Didn't Jesus heal blind people?

Yeah my favorite is making sure we can't use stem cells to stop horrible diseases. I'm sure God gave them lots of brownie points for that one. Recently was reading about a little girl that could never see, now with stem cell treatments in a different country she can, simply amazing. Didn't Jesus heal blind people?

Don't tell them that.

They may try and burn you at the stake.

The bottom line is, using religion, in this case Chrisitanity, as some sort of measuring stick to see who you should vote for is ridiculous.

Because if you actually look at each party, you could find many aspects of their platforms or actions that go completely against Christianity.

The difference is, the Republicans are the only ones that feel a need to get involved in this game of, "Jesus likes my candidate better than yours."

The bottom line is, using religion, in this case Chrisitanity, as some sort of measuring stick to see who you should vote for is ridiculous.

Because if you actually look at each party, you could find many aspects of their platforms or actions that go completely against Christianity.

The difference is, the Republicans are the only ones that feel a need to get involved in this game of, "Jesus likes my candidate better than yours."

I agree with you on this.

What REALLY irks me is when a Christian says that you can't be a Christian and support Obama at the same time.

Judgmental much?

Ouch.....that's just painful. I don't know whether to get angry or cry.

Ouch.....that's just painful. I don't know whether to get angry or cry.

I did a little bit of both.

At first, I was pissed at myself for being so upset. But I kind of knew it was coming. He had been completely silent on politics all year.

It had to happen sooner or later.

The problem for me is that I'm trying so hard to get on the right track. And going to church constantly has been part of that. Then this happens.

I'm told that I'm basically not as "christian" as everyone else because I'm choosing to vote for a candidate who doesn't support a ban on abortion.

This type of ignorance has been shown to me by a few members of the church. I had hoped this man, a guy that I've listened to for three years, wouldn't let me down like that.

This type of ignorance has been shown to me by a few members of the church. I had hoped this man, a guy that I've listened to for three years, wouldn't let me down like that.

Yeah, it really is this sort of thing that Rev. Jim Wallis and Sojourners are trying to educate folks about. They really are trying to expand the debate, but its way too easy for some who don't want to take the effort to think critically on the complexity of the issues to accept that the issues that we face are not nearly as simplistic as some would suggest, its just easier when things are simplistic I guess, but it always saddens me when folks immediately retreat to that which is easy instead of exploring the realities that face them. I guess that was me several years ago though, I didn't WANT there to be deeper issues at play...it was just easier to think that if we had a law then everything would be ok. What's more is that I no longer take at face value the Pro-Life stance of the GOP because the line they gave us they didn't back up.

I did a little bit of both.

At first, I was pissed at myself for being so upset. But I kind of knew it was coming. He had been completely silent on politics all year.

It had to happen sooner or later.

The problem for me is that I'm trying so hard to get on the right track. And going to church constantly has been part of that. Then this happens.

I'm told that I'm basically not as "christian" as everyone else because I'm choosing to vote for a candidate who doesn't support a ban on abortion.

You have to vote for the candidate that represents the things you stand for, whether they are economic, social, religious, etc. I always thought that if you vote for a candidate this way, you'll be as close to "morally right" as you can get. I guess what I'm saying is that most people, republican and democrat, fight over which way God would vote. But if you follow your heart, you'll be doing something that is as close to God as possible b/c more often than not, your heart will lead you in the direction that will cause you to make the best decisions for yourself AND others. This goes for people affiliated with ANY political party.

If you vote solely b/c a person is associated with a particular political party, then you tend to run into problems. If you vote for a person "just because" without having any stakes in the vote, you tend to cast a selfish vote which doesn't really help anyone other than yourself and IMO, isn't a very Godly or Christian thing to do.

As far as your church/pastor. I think if you can put this behind you, you'll be ok if you stay at that church. You've been going for quite a while, and this seems to be the first incident of this nature. Maybe give them/him a second chance. I say this b/c I know first hand that finding a church that you like isn't always an easy thing to do. :2cents:

Yeah, it really is this sort of thing that Rev. Jim Wallis and Sojourners are trying to educate folks about. They really are trying to expand the debate, but its way too easy for some who don't want to take the effort to think critically on the complexity of the issues to accept that the issues that we face are not nearly as simplistic as some would suggest, its just easier when things are simplistic I guess, but it always saddens me when folks immediately retreat to that which is easy instead of exploring the realities that face them. I guess that was me several years ago though, I didn't WANT there to be deeper issues at play...it was just easier to think that if we had a law then everything would be ok. What's more is that I no longer take at face value the Pro-Life stance of the GOP because the line they gave us they didn't back up.
Hey, we all know that the Methodists are liberal, just come out and say it.

I mean, a large portion of your denomination supports abortion "rights", right?

Isn't that why you have a group like Lifewatch?

Do you really want to go down this route?

Why not champion and support the hero (Adult Stem Cells) instead of the zero?

Archived