Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Zorn tiff no big deal (vs. eye roller)

themurf

This is just over the top. Is Zorn royalty and the press are his minions? People post things like KNEEL BEFORE ZORN, and they're kidding. You seem to be serious, though.

They had some miscommunication, and both the reporter and the coach got frustrated.

To me, more telling than Zorn's outburst is that he took the time to get with the reporter afterward and iron out the misunderstanding.

It is pretty dam disrespectful and petty to roll your eyes. Ryan tried to say it was out of frustration. But someone who rolls their eyes like that shows a complete lack of class, character, and respect. My only complaint with the entire thing is that Zorn didn't go over there and *****-slap him. You want to act like a *****, you should be treated like one.

Completely unprofessional and inappropriate. I hope that the editors at the WT talk to him about it. I know that 99% of us could never get away with something like that in our jobs, I'm not sure why he should be any different.

It is pretty dam disrespectful and petty to roll your eyes. Ryan tried to say it was out of frustration. But someone who rolls their eyes like that shows a complete lack of class, character, and respect. My only complaint with the entire thing is that Zorn didn't go over there and *****-slap him. You want to act like a *****, you should be treated like one.

Completely unprofessional and inappropriate. I hope that the editors at the WT talk to him about it. I know that 99% of us could never get away with something like that in our jobs, I'm not sure why he should be any different.

O'Halloran was on 980 this morning and said he was trying to get Zorn to admit that the Lions "handed" them 3 points by calling that time out with 0:36 on the clock and the Skins facing a 3rd and 19 on their own 17. His theory was that they were 0-6 so they should have been happy to go into the locker room up 10-3. Andy Pollin agreed with him but Kevin Sheehan thought it was the right move. I thought the Lions did exactly what they should have done. They had the Skins backed up inside their 20 and the Skins had just run a draw. The odds greatly favor the Lions on 3rd and 19, particularly after the Skins ran a draw on the previous play and anything can happen on a punt. The fact that the Skins were able to get a FG out of that situation was pretty miraculous.

The "WT" in the headline of the thread identifies that this is a Washington Times article. As usual, the first few paragraphs are quoted and then a link to the rest of the article is provided. If people aren't bright enough to catch on, then they should probably spend less time posting and more time coloring.

I'll admit I'm one of the dummies. I think it's because the article doesn't have a title and byline in the post.

To be honest, I found the whole deal a lot more interesting when I thought it was you. :silly:

O'Halloran was on 980 this morning and said he was trying to get Zorn to admit that the Lions "handed" them 3 points by calling that time out with 0:36 on the clock and the Skins facing a 3rd and 19 on their own 17. His theory was that they were 0-6 so they should have been happy to go into the locker room up 10-3. Andy Pollin agreed with him but Kevin Sheehan thought it was the right move. I thought the Lions did exactly what they should have done. They had the Skins backed up inside their 20 and the Skins had just run a draw. The odds greatly favor the Lions on 3rd and 19, particularly after the Skins ran a draw on the previous play and anything can happen on a punt. The fact that the Skins were able to get a FG out of that situation was pretty miraculous.

I personally dont care what he was trying to do, he should understand that football is an emotional game and that COACH Zorn is the head coach. To roll your eyes at somebody you are interviewing shows no respect. His job is to report the news, not make the news.

:2cents:

Zorn showed more restaint than I would have. He's doing the guy a favor by trying to answer his veiled question more than once. If O'H was trying to ask a question then just ask it. "On the last drive of the half ,when you guys scored the FG, were you trying to run out the clock?" Follow up. "Would you have called a timeout if they hadn't?" Why try to be vague? Zorn couldn't answer the question properly because it wasn't asked properly. O'H caused the situation then rolls his eyes at the guy that's trying to understand a jumbled question. I've never heard a coach try so hard to be upfront and honest with the press. We don't hear cookie cutter cliches from this guy. Have a little respect for a guy who's going out of his way to provide the staight scoop.

There are several things wrong here. First of all, the opinion that 3rd and 19 from your own 17 yard line with 36 seconds left is a "gimme" as Ryan worded it this morning on 980 is just ridiculous. I don't care if the team is 0-6 or 0-15, in the NFL that is never a gimme. Plus, the Lions only had the lead because they had capitalized on all of the Skins mistakes, and they only had a chance of winning if they continued to capitalize on all of the Skins mistakes. The Skins had given them an opportunity to do that by moving backwards into a 2nd and 27 and then 3rd and 19, so the timeout was absolutely the right call... the Skins just rose to the occasion.

Second of all, the assumption that the Skins were just going to run out the clock because of a draw play on 2 and 27 is also silly. 2nd and 27 is not a situation that is easy to manage... the draw is a very sound call for potentially picking up 10 or 15 yards to give yourself a real chance on 3rd down. There would have been more of a rush without the timeout, but if they had run up there and successfully converted the third down, then they could have called a timeout and still given themselves a chance to get in FG range (albeit a harder one). So just to assume "draw play"="running out clock" as Ryan said this morning on 980 is also ridiculous.

That being said, Ryan is entitled to have ridiculous opinions and ask the coach about it, but he was absolutely in the wrong to show obvious signs of impatience as Zorn tried to figure out what he was asking to give him a good answer. I watched the conference, and Zorn spent a lot of time patiently trying to give Ryan an answer that satisfied him before Zorn finally got pissed at the lack of respect. If Ryan had not rolled his eyes, I am confident Zorn would have continued to patiently try to figure out the misunderstanding. This has nothing to do with treating Zorn like royalty or something as absurd to suggest as that. When you are asking anybody a question and they take the time to try to give you a good answer (asking multiple times if their response answered your question as Zorn did) then you don't start rolling your eyes. To Ryan's credit, he did show some remorse for that on 980 this morning.

The "WT" in the headline of the thread identifies that this is a Washington Times article. As usual, the first few paragraphs are quoted and then a link to the rest of the article is provided. If people aren't bright enough to catch on, then they should probably spend less time posting and more time coloring.

I guess I need to go find my coloring book. Damn colors won't stay in the lines though!

There are several things wrong here. First of all, the opinion that 3rd and 19 from your own 17 yard line with 36 seconds left is a "gimme" as Ryan worded it this morning on 980 is just ridiculous. I don't care if the team is 0-6 or 0-15, in the NFL that is never a gimme. Plus, the Lions only had the lead because they had capitalized on all of the Skins mistakes, and they only had a chance of winning if they continued to capitalize on all of the Skins mistakes. The Skins had given them an opportunity to do that by moving backwards into a 2nd and 27 and then 3rd and 19, so the timeout was absolutely the right call... the Skins just rose to the occasion.

Second of all, the assumption that the Skins were just going to run out the clock because of a draw play on 2 and 27 is also silly. 2nd and 27 is not a situation that is easy to manage... the draw is a very sound call for potentially picking up 10 or 15 yards to give yourself a real chance on 3rd down. There would have been more of a rush without the timeout, but if they had run up there and successfully converted the third down, then they could have called a timeout and still given themselves a chance to get in FG range (albeit a harder one). So just to assume "draw play"="running out clock" as Ryan said this morning on 980 is also ridiculous.

That's the whole reason he wanted to ask the question. To see if his assumption was correct.

I'll assume the "gimme" quote you're speaking of came up outside of this article, but the article states that the Lions helped the Redskins with that timeout, which is true. Maybe that's what he meant by "gimme"?

When you are asking anybody a question and they take the time to try to give you a good answer (asking multiple times if their response answered your question as Zorn did) then you don't start rolling your eyes. To Ryan's credit, he did show some remorse for that on 980 this morning.

That's good to know. I generally enjoy O'Hs' writting.

Yeah right.

Good one :)

See, this is why I can't respect "that guy." You know...the guy that tries to ask an edgy question that he/she thinks is unique and no one else has the guts to ask. Even if it wasn't Ryan's intention, he is "that guy." Keep it up mediots, apparently you're [in general] finding that coach Zorn isn't such a softy in front of the media. I loved the fire even if Zorn is a bit of an over-reactor. He needs a neck pillow and some herbal tea :paranoid:

HTTR

;)

Murf:

Ryan~ whatever your name is, your article is........:rolleyes:; no need to apolgize to the people via an article~ A P O L O G I Z E to Coach Zorn.

Coach was tired after that game, so many questions about certain plays- yada yada yada~ what I interpeted was disrespect felt by Zorn because he was trying to answer the question, it was obvious he didn't "get" what the reporter was asking..................the reporter wasn't clear in his question~

HOWEVER, the PASSION showed by Zorn~

one word defines his response~

OUTSTANDING.

(PS: zskins uploaded a video from Saturday night~ Coach was already showing some Passion prior to the game~:D)

the problem is...

I've spoiled you all, by always posting the headline again above the text. :)

Murf posted the article correctly, with the source identifier "WT" in the title, though the link is usually posted at the top

now about the :rolleyes:

is a way of expressing through body language, you think what the other person is full of horse ****, very unprofessional

Comments 1 - 1 of 1

By: C Portis Run

I don't care if it took 33 tries to get your "question" answered; for you to roll your eyes at Coach Zorn, who makes as much of an effort to openly and honestly answer all of the media's questions as any other football coach I have ever seen, is outright disrespectful and unprofessional. YOU are the tool. Maybe someone needs to remind you of your place; much like one of your counterparts at the Post, you beat reporters need to realize nobody cares about you and your petty little irritations or frustrations. Furthermore, you were more trying to make a point, that anyone with any common football sense could tell you was without merit anyway, than you were trying to ask a question. You didn't get the answer you wanted so you did what any other 8 year old girl would do, you rolled your eyes. Quoting you from the radio, you were "trying to get Zorn to admit..." and not asking a question in good faith. Also, let me say that I think I speak for many fans out there who have heard you on the radio or seen you on tv, and you come off as one of the most smug, condescending, self-involved jerks out there. Get over yourself you schlub.

In Zorn's presser, he just said,

"Make sure you ask a question I can understand," laughed, and then said, "That's a joke!" I'm guessing O'H got to ask a question.

OLS Zorn!

ETA: He made another comment on this subject. He said that it takes him (Zorn) time to come down from the intensity of a game, and that's hard when he steps up to the podium for the post-game presser.

Comments 1 - 1 of 1

By: C Portis Run

I don't care if it took 33 tries to get your "question" answered; for you to roll your eyes at Coach Zorn, who makes as much of an effort to openly and honestly answer all of the media's questions as any other football coach I have ever seen, is outright disrespectful and unprofessional. YOU are the tool. Maybe someone needs to remind you of your place; much like one of your counterparts at the Post, you beat reporters need to realize nobody cares about you and your petty little irritations or frustrations. Furthermore, you were more trying to make a point, that anyone with any common football sense could tell you was without merit anyway, than you were trying to ask a question. You didn't get the answer you wanted so you did what any other 8 year old girl would do, you rolled your eyes. Quoting you from the radio, you were "trying to get Zorn to admit..." and not asking a question in good faith. Also, let me say that I think I speak for many fans out there who have heard you on the radio or seen you on tv, and you come off as one of the most smug, condescending, self-involved jerks out there. Get over yourself you schlub.

Yeah, I just saw the comment too. Wow, guess you have to expect that when you leave comments section open on stuff but this one took a little time to type. Somebody check Dan's computer at Redskins Park to see if he left that page up.

Murf posted the article correctly, with the source identifier "WT" in the title, though the link is usually posted at the top.

It is a form rule you know.;)

10. When posting anything concerning news articles from outside sources, please include a direct link (i.e., URL) to the origination page/site.

Please paste the URL directly atop the post, above a small portion of the article's text (for example, the lead paragraph or a particular sentence or two) . Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information, and allows visitors the option to visit the respective websites. You are responsible for the content you post.

If you are posting a published article from a news source, please title your thread in the following format: "SOURCE SHORTFORM: HEADLINE" (Ex. WP: Redskins Sign CB Shawn Springs). Please see our copyright statement.

That's the whole reason he wanted to ask the question. To see if his assumption was correct.

I'll assume the "gimme" quote you're speaking of came up outside of this article, but the article states that the Lions helped the Redskins with that timeout, which is true. Maybe that's what he meant by "gimme"?

On ESPN 980 this morning, Ryan was talking about the situation. And, according to Ryan himself, he was basically taking as given that the draw play="running out clock," and was then asking if the Lions' timeout changed Zorn's mind to go for getting into FG range. So technically he was asking if this assumption was correct, but it was much more presumptuous than that. It was also in this interview that he very clearly called the Lions' timeout a "gimme" (and he actually used that word)... he said the Lions' gave the Skins a FG by calling a timeout on 3rd and 19 at the Skins 17 yard line with 36 seconds left. :doh:

Kevin Sheehan called him out on this, and he absolutely stood by this ridiculous opinion.

Archived