Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Palin: "VP in charge of the Senate"

AsburySkinsFan

You do realize that the President, Vice President, and the Cabinet are all part of the executive branch, right? ("Dick" Cheney's preposterous claims notwithstanding.) The alloction of responsibility within the branch does nothing to increase its power or independence.

I thought that was what i said?

Originally Posted by twa View Post

Can you explain how you feel the VP can change it's legislative duties?

Can't and won't happen,except shepherding legislation....Not even Cheney could pull that off

twa, don't you think this shows a lack of understanding on Palin's part?

VPs do not spend their time in the Senate. Technically the "president of the Senate", but they delegate the authority to the President pro temp, and practically never even go to the Senate while it is in session.

I thought that was what i said?

Originally Posted by twa View Post

Can you explain how you feel the VP can change it's legislative duties?

Can't and won't happen,except shepherding legislation....Not even Cheney could pull that off

Because the Constitution says the VP is the President of the Senate. Palin has told us repeatedly she believes that places her in control of the Senate. What about her character and demeanor leads you to believe she would shrink from attempting to take charge?

Palin thinks the VP is in charge of the Senate? I mean, seriously, it's a position that has no power. It's like she has no idea how the Senate actually works. The power in the Senate lies with party leaders and individual senators. The VP would cast a tie vote, but that's it.

Guess how many days Cheney presided over the Senate? I bet you could count them on one hand, or just a few fingers.

Again we seem to be trying to get a 'gotcha" moment with semantics

The VP "presides" over the Senate. That is what John Adams did. He actually sat in there, reading a newspaper as the Senate debated

VPs do not spend their time in the Senate. Technically the "president of the Senate", but they delegate the authority to the President pro temp, and practically never even go to the Senate while it is in session.

Never really need to unless they need to cast a tie breaker. But it is one of the duties outlined in the Constitution "President of the Senate"

So to me saying "in charge of" is no biggie

Because the Constitution says the VP is the President of the Senate. Palin has told us repeatedly she believes that places her in control of the Senate. What about her character and demeanor leads you to believe she would shrink from attempting to take charge?

She can't take charge, because the Senators would not allow it. But the bigger problem is that she doesn't even understand Robert's Rules of Order.

VP's do not typically do so,however the executive branch does propose and push legislation...perhaps she sees this as her future role?

The more likely answer is she was just spouting off bs though:)

Again we seem to be trying to get a 'gotcha" moment with semantics

The VP "presides" over the Senate. That is what John Adams did. He actually sat in there, reading a newspaper as the Senate debated

So haw many days do you think any recent VP has spent in the Senate while it is in session?

Ballpark it for me. 75% of the time, 25% of the time, whatever you think.

So haw many days do you think any recent VP has spent in the Senate while it is in session?

Ballpark it for me. 75% of the time, 25% of the time, whatever you think.

Who cares. Less then .5 percent

Trying to get a "gotcha" on Governor Palin on THIS is rather stupid when there are so many other things you can

The VP "presides over the Senate" That is what the Constitution says regardless of what is practiced

LOL

This thread is a "gotcha" thread, and a really bad one in fact

At least 57 states was really incorrect. What Governor Palin said isn't "incorrect"

I mostly agree. It was just poorly worded. There is a lack of presumption of innocence here mainly due to Cheney. Cheney has tried to expand the role of the Vice Presidency and the Executive. So as the vp heir apparent, we are filtering what she says through Cheney. That's probably not fair to her. Mostly, it was a clumbsy and inaccurate (although possibly not incorrect) defining of the VP role.

Clumsy? Yea

I wouldn't exactly say inaccurate though.

But again, it just depends what side you are on

Here's where I sort of see it. The VP's role as Pres of the Senate is tiebreaker. VP's usually don't rule the Senate or guide or control the actions or direction of the debates or even what is allowed to come to the floor. So, what she said is inaccurate. On the other hand, Presidents and VPs do call Senators to propose ideas and to try to gather support for ideas they back or feel they need, so to that extent... she will be constantly engaged in legislative activity... so what she said is not really incorrect either... but it was inaccurate.

Who cares. Less then .5 percent

Trying to get a "gotcha" on Governor Palin on THIS is rather stupid when there are so many other things you can

The VP "presides over the Senate" That is what the Constitution says regardless of what is practiced

Less than 0.5%. And you think this is good answer to the question "what does the vice president do"? You don't think that you would pick something you do a MAJORITY of the time to characterize a job description to a 3rd grader? WTF.

There were 190 days in the last session. 0.5% would be less than one day. So ZERO days of presiding over the senate is a good to put as the FIRST THING you list in terms of job description? That's great. I'd love to see how you pad your resume.

There is a lack of presumption of innocence here mainly due to Cheney.

I disagree. I think it's because she has never coherently explained what the VP's job/role. She has repeated this explanation of the role of the VP on more then one occassion including in the Debate. These are the two different explanations of the VP job.

"Well, our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president. And we will do what is best for the American people in tapping into that position and ushering in an agenda that is supportive and cooperative with the president's agenda in that position. Yeah, so I do agree with him that we have a lot of flexibility in there, and we'll do what we have to do to administer very appropriately the plans that are needed for this nation. And it is my executive experience that is partly to be attributed to my pick as V.P. with McCain, not only as a governor, but earlier on as a mayor, as an oil and gas regulator, as a business owner. It is those years of experience on an executive level that will be put to good use in the White House also."

"A vice president has a really great job because not only are they there to support the president's agenda, they're there like the team member, the teammate to the president," Palin continued. “But also, they're in charge of the United States Senate, so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes that will make life better for Brandon and his family and his classroom. And it's a great job and I look forward to having that job.”

Less than 0.5%. And you think this is good answer to the question "what does the vice president do"? You don't think that you would pick something you do a MAJORITY of the time to characterize a job description to a 3rd grader? WTF.

There were 190 days in the last session. 0.5% would be less than one day. So ZERO days of presiding over the senate is a good to put as the FIRST THING you list in terms of job description? That's great. I'd love to see how you pad your resume.

Again

"The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided."

I will continue to point to that KEY phrase over and over and over again.

My defense in this argument is the US Constitution. Yours is, well honestly I am not sure what it is, or what argument you have

Here's where I sort of see it. The VP's role as Pres of the Senate is tiebreaker. VP's usually don't rule the Senate or guide or control the actions or direction of the debates or even what is allowed to come to the floor. So, what she said is inaccurate. On the other hand, Presidents and VPs do call Senators to propose ideas and to try to gather support for ideas they back or feel they need, so to that extent... she will be constantly engaged in legislative activity... so what she said is not really incorrect either... but it was inaccurate.

Fair enough.

I just think the US Constitution makes it clear that the VP is President of the Senate

Now is it in title only? Probably. But it is in there

I love when everyone makes comments without hearing or reading the whole thing.

If she said that the VP was in charge of the senate - I have no issue with that. President - in charge..... talking to a 7 year old. No problem.

Now - The REST of her comments bother me somewhat....

"But also, they're in charge of the United States Senate, so if they want to they can really get in there with the senators and make a lot of good policy changes ..."

She wants the VP to "Get in there" with senators and make a lot of policy changes? Once again - she didn't say this in a vacuum. Just those comments alone might make me to a double take, and move on. But I combine it with her debate answers...

"Of course we know what a vice president does, and that's not only preside over the Senate, and we'll take that position very seriously, also, I'm thankful that the Constitution would allow a bit more authority given to the vice president also if that vice president so chose to exert it in working with the Senate...."

So, we combine those two quotes and it becomes pretty clear what she plans to do. She plans that the VP becomes a Active member of the senate, and while she can not vote unless tied, she plans on basically becoming a shadow senator.

I'm not sure this would be illegal mind you - Just a different way to doing things and one that becomes a legitimate campaign question. Do we want that?

Archived