Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Palin: "VP in charge of the Senate"

AsburySkinsFan

Please go through the Constitution and point to me what else the VP does before we continue any other discussion

It was your VP candidate that said the following "Well, our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president. And we will do what is best for the American people in tapping into that position and ushering in an agenda that is supportive and cooperative with the president's agenda in that position. Yeah, so I do agree with him that we have a lot of flexibility in there"

So tell me, where is the flexibility that she speaks of? After all, you keep quoting the constitution.

It was your VP candidate that said the following "Well, our founding fathers were very wise there in allowing through the Constitution much flexibility there in the office of the vice president. And we will do what is best for the American people in tapping into that position and ushering in an agenda that is supportive and cooperative with the president's agenda in that position. Yeah, so I do agree with him that we have a lot of flexibility in there"

So tell me, where is the flexibility that she speaks of? After all, you keep quoting the constitution.

I am with you there buddy.

It simply says the Vice President is President of the Senate. Nothing else, nothing more

Do I expect the VP to have a somewhat active role in the Senate? Depends on the VP, the President, and the Senate leaders really.

Do I expect the VP to have a somewhat active role in the Senate? Depends on the VP, the President, and the Senate leaders really.

I agree with you on this.

So you know, everything I said goes for my ticket as well. If Biden thinks he is going to be drafting legislation as a VP, then he is in for a rude awaking. He may communicate what the administration wants, but they will tell him to get lost if he tries more then that.

So you know, everything I said goes for my ticket as well. If Biden thinks he is going to be drafting legislation as a VP, then he is in for a rude awaking. He may communicate what the administration wants, but they will tell him to get lost if he tries more then that.

I think Joe Biden would be given far more latitude in the next Senate then Sarah Palin would

Really, can you tell me what the VP does

Prior to Dick Cheney the Vice President

1) Read a newspaper during Senate sessions while the n00b senators practiced the workings of the senate day.

2) Cast tie breaking votes in the senate, and no VP has ever cast more than 10 of these tie breaking votes.

3) Served as a Presidential ambassador both domestically and internationally.

4) Took over when the President was no longer able to perform the duties through removal, death, or incapacity.

5) Tried to ride the coat-tails of the President in order to act as an incumbant after 8 years.

My father who has never voted Democrat in his 40 years of voting, just voted early yesterday for Obama. I had no idea he was going to vote Obama. I asked why and he said because McCain has been all over the place on the economy and the Palin pick was terrible judgment.

He said this country is in the biggest ****ing mess he's ever seen (he's in the white house press core and has been in politics for quite some time) and Obama has been able to handle the pressure and would make the best leader.

My dad basically shares the same thoughts as Colin Powell. It was nice to hear my dad come to his senses.

The reason you think this is stupid is because you don't understand the role of the VP either.QUOTE]

HERSH is correct: HE is the only one that knows what the VP does since 1820. And is going to list IF ANY VP has sat in the Senate during that timeframe trying to do what Palin has advocated.

Just to prove us all wrong.

The Constitution says the VP is President of the Senate. And that is all it says about the VP

Look at how vice presidents in our nation's history have interpreted this, and how many acted like they were "in charge" of the Senate. I'm sure that the Senate Majority Leader might have a little bit to say about the VP being "in charge" of the Senate especially if the Senate is controlled by the opposition party.

My dad basically shares the same thoughts as Colin Powell. It was nice to hear my dad come to his senses.

Your dad is in the press and shares the same thoughts as Colin Powell. Shocked.. Shocked i tell you.. but that was a nice side bar.

So, why does your dad hate women?

From what I've read how come everybody is focusing on the in charge aspect? She said the VP can get in there and make policy changes. She's not a majority/minority leader. She's not changing any policies. She's there to break ties and nothing more.

They are focusing on that word because they know that if they focus on the rest of what she actually said that reveals what she meant by "in charge" then they undermine their entire rationalization for defending Palin and her Cheney-esque interpretation of the VP position.

Drafting legislation is a more complex process than that, especially if it is a President that plans on vigorously using the veto power. It essentially will become a negotiation. The Administration won't simply say, 'we want this.' and walk away. You allow them to say, 'well, we will not give you that, because this is what we want, but is this compromise acceptable.'

Your dad is in the press and shares the same thoughts as Colin Powell. Shocked.. Shocked i tell you.. but that was a nice side bar.

So, why does your dad hate women?

He's always had the same views as Powell. He's been a conservative, but a rare thinking one.

I think he just hates dumb puppet women. Not sure what that meant, anyway.

Maybe a better answer would be because he's a conservative.

Drafting legislation is a more complex process than that, especially if it is a President that plans on vigorously using the veto power. It essentially will become a negotiation. The Administration won't simply say, 'we want this.' and walk away. You allow them to say, 'well, we will not give you that, because this is what we want, but is this compromise acceptable.'

If the VP is in the negotiation process over legislation then he/she would be serving as an advocate of the President not guiding the Senate.

Do any of the Palin supporters here reall think that what she is suggesting doesn't create a Constitutional crisis by merging the Separation of Powers and the system of checks and balances? This is the exact reason why some of the founding fathers refused to sign the Constitution, because it blurred the lines of separation, and Palin is now being fed Cheney's interpertation of the Vice Presidency that has been roundly criticized.

If the VP is in the negotiation process over legislation then he/she would be serving as an advocate of the President not guiding the Senate.

Do any of the Palin supporters here reall think that what she is suggesting doesn't create a Constitutional crisis by merging the Separation of Powers and the system of checks and balances? This is the exact reason why some of the founding fathers refused to sign the Constitution, because it blurred the lines of separation, and Palin is now being fed Cheney's interpertation of the Vice Presidency that has been roundly criticized.

I'm not a Palin supporter, but I don't think she's going to create a crisis. She simplified an answer to a 2nd grader.

HERSH is correct: HE is the only one that knows what the VP does since 1820. And is going to list IF ANY VP has sat in the Senate during that timeframe trying to do what Palin has advocated.

Just to prove us all wrong.

Tell me how I am wrong??

I'm not a Palin supporter, but I don't think she's going to create a crisis. She simplified an answer to a 2nd grader.

She wasn't talking to a 3rd grader, yes the 3rd grader submitted the question but she was talking to an adult reporter, and if you think she was doing that interview to convince 8 year olds to vote for her then you're wrong. She gave that interview for voting adults and she revealed what she meant by what she followed it up with, as well as the other ways that she has interpreted the office of the Vice Presidency. Each time reflects exactly what she said in this interview. The net result is that she is revealing the fact that she has no Constitutional understanding of the office of the Vice Presidency.

I don't think she will create a crisis either because the Senators will tell her to **** off. She and Biden would learn quickly what the role of the VP actually is.

Each time reflects exactly what she said in this interview. The net result is that she is revealing the fact that she has no Constitutional understanding of the office of the Vice Presidency.

You have somewhere else that she said that the VP is in charge of the Senate.

Just on another note, I don't think "Constitutional crisis" are all bad. That's what we have a Supreme Court for.

You have somewhere else that she said that the VP is in charge of the Senate.

No not I, the VP presides over the Robert's Rules of Order in the Senate, the VP is not "in charge" of the Senate.

Just on another note, I don't think "Constitutional crisis" are all bad. That's what we have a Supreme Court for.

Yeah, because the SCOTUS has nothing better to do than stop Presidential and Vice Presidential power grabs.

And part of her answer reflected to being on the Presidents team.

Her answer with this reporter is reflective of the chorus of answers that she has given about the Vice Presidency in that she misunderstands the role of the VP. Sure the VP is on the President's team so how can the VP be "in charge" of the Senate knowing that we have a separation of powers. Sorry, PeterMP but you can't have both.

Archived