Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LaRon Landry IS NOT Sean Taylor

KDawg

God we are torturing ourselves. Taylor is gone and will never come back. He was my favorite Redskins ever and probably always will be but we have to move on. We have Landry now who is playing great football and Horton is amazing everyone. Time to talk about them and let Taylor rest in the past.

The OP is doing exactly that.

You can't compare them because Sean Taylor's first two years he wasn't in deep coverage.

He had Ryan Clark/Matt Bowen '04

Clark '05

Nobody '06 (year he took on more deep coverage)

He was strictly deep in '07

Fact is, if Landry didn't get laid out by Jacobs we're not talking about their hitting abilities. Its a unquantifiable statement that holds no water...I mean do ya'll measure the force behind each hit?

Let ya'll tell it, Taylor NEVER dropped an INT, never whiffed on a big hit, nor did he ever miss an assignment. The amazing thing about ST was that, at his size he could do the things that a prototypical free safety like Landry's expected to do in the open field.

Taylor in '07, in ~8 1/2 games had 32 tackles, 1 FF, 5 INTs 9 PDs.

Landry through 7 games has 29 tackles, 0 FF, 0 INTs, 6 PDs.

I'm with you man, I'm tired of hearing people say "sean was better," when the fact is that we haven't seen enough of Laron to know who is better, and Taylor had not even reached his full potential yet. Impossible to draw accurate comparisons. The only thing we know for sure is that Sean Taylor was one of the most naturally gifted athletes ever to play for the Redskins. Can't really say the same for Laron, although he is stronger and faster than Taylor was. Maybe what he lacks in natural ability and size he can make up for with strength and speed, and maybe he can become a big hit threat like Sean was.

Well if we go from big plays they have made in their first year and a half in the NFL and all the Sean Taylor tributes. You watch the Taylor hits n plays hes made way more then Landry.. Cmon weve seen Landrys hits, half of the best ones weve seen were flagged for late hits.. Taylor was already changing the way teams played us and you saw how he intimadated recievers..Landry is not Taylor and will not be. Its no big deal.

Stop feeling guilty about loving Laron Landry! The dude is a complete animal, and it's not disrespectful to compare his play to Sean's. Sean WANTED Landry to play like him. I don't know what games some of you have been watching, but Landry is developing into exactly what Sean was molding him into. I am very excited about the possibilities for dirty 30. It's possible we drafted the two best safeties the league has seen since Ronnie Lott.

It's not at all disrespectful to Sean to appreciate what Landry does for this team. Their talents are very similar. Why do people think Landry is disappointing? Yeah, Sean got more monster hits, but that's mainly because receivers were making far more catches. Don't forget, we had Kenny Wright and Mike Rumph for MULTIPLE games. The receiver was making the catch at least half the time, and Sean was the only one who could stop anybody. Our corners are playing well right now, and that should not be held against Laron.

I would be interested to see the rest of their workout numbers, but LaRon did post a much better 40 time and repped 225 ten times more.

LaRon at combine: 4.35 40 time

37 1/2 inch vert

21 reps of 225 on the bench

Sean at combine: 4.51 40 time

39 inch vert

11 reps on the bench

The thing is though, Sean always played better than these numbers. I can't explain how he covered the field so well, but I think his weight gave him the force he needed to lay people out. I must say though, LaRon is a monster in the weight room.

Combine #'s are great and all, but everyone who watched Taylor play knows that those numbers don't tell half the story.

What made Sean who he was, was his utter disregard for his own well being. He played like a heat seeking missile. I'm not saying that Laron doesn't play that way, but there was a recent article where Laron basically said that the biggest thing that he learned from Taylor was what it meant to play intense....

You can't measure it, you can't coach it, you just have to have it. GW said that he had never met a player that he didn't have to motivate 1 ounce until he met Sean Taylor.

Guys like that just don't come around too often, and you can't measure them by their numbers alone....

I would be interested to see the rest of their workout numbers, but LaRon did post a much better 40 time and repped 225 ten times more.

37 1/2 inch vert

39 inch vert

11 reps on the bench

The thing is though, Sean always played better than these numbers. I can't explain how he covered the field so well, but I think his weight gave him the force he needed to lay people out. I must say though, LaRon is a monster in the weight room.

Sean Taylor put that time up with a bad Hamstring, those numbers don't really tell the story of what kind of player he was.

I love Landry but I know hes not another Sean. Sean was one of kind and prototypical. I remember when we first got him, he reminded me of a created player from a video game.:notworthy

Agreed, comparing them is comparing Riggins to Portis. Two completely different styles.

And no knock on Landry, he's my favorite current Skin, but Taylor was one of the greatest football players, let alone safeties, to ever play the game.

This isn't a fair comparison at all.

Sean Taylor was well on his way to becoming a perennial Pro Bowl player, IMO. But to call him one of the greatest football players ever to play the game is sentimentalism gone awry.

What is sad is that he had the potential to be one of the best, but was cut down before being able to realize that.

37 1/2 inch vert

39 inch vert

11 reps on the bench

Definitely Landry is the better weight-room guy.

I dunno what it was about Sean Taylor, it's like when he stepped onto the field there was just a fire in him that made him do incredible things. He had this natural ability to play football unlike anything else I've ever seen.

Yes, he is not Sean Taylor. No one will EVER be. LL, Taylor Mays...no one. We have to get over it.

Laron is a great fundamental player who doesn't take much risks and does his job pretty damn well. He is not replacing Sean, and he never will. He is our new FS, and to keep comparing him to Sean is just unfair to him.

Sean was, as mentioned, a once in a lifetime/decade athlete. But now he is gone. Let the man RIP.

Landry was never a ballhawk in college but he may be one of the most physically gifted and fundamentally sound/smart players we have. His name isn't called a lot because A. Opposing offenses don't test him often, and B. He rarely makes any mistakes.

Sean Taylor had all of the physical gifts and then some, and was what you would consider a "ballhawk".

I think the switch to FS has lessened Landry's impact on the game. When he played SS, he was closer to the line and had more tackles, sacks, etc. Right now it's as if he's nowhere to be found. Maybe that's a good thing, since it obviously means less teams are passing deep on us, but the switch has definitely taken him out of the picture.

His hit on Braylon let us know that he's still Dirty 30, but this is Chris Horton's year to shine!!!

Nice even thread. When they were playing last year I looked at ST as a HOF caliber player and LL as a pro bowl caliber player. Have to wait and see how LL continues to develop.

And I agree, ST was a physical freak. At 6'2" 230+ he could hit like a LB yet still have incredible range. ST could also go up with the big receivers and win the ball. He was never muscled out of the way.

I agree with the OP that watching him take chances was fun. As he got experience he got better about figuring out what the defense was doing.

I will say that I thought LL picked up the defense faster that ST did and that it took ST a year or two to start to feel comfortable.

I like Horton, but he is Horton and will never be ST.

Reference dropping passes, ST didn't do it often, but the Green Bay game last year he should have had four instead of two.

Lastly, I loved watching ST lay the smack on TO.

Archived