Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LaRon Landry IS NOT Sean Taylor

KDawg

eh, i dunno about that bit about him not flying around the field covering other people's assignments.

Hes the center fielder on alot of plays. And hes always flying around batting down passes. They call him their "Angel in the backfield" cause hes out there saving big plays

Um no. Just "above average" FS's don't make the plays Sean made his rookie year to his 4th.

He made many DUMB plays early on.

He also disrespected JJG.

But...Guess what happened when we gave him a cpl years...BANG...He filled out as an very very good player and teammate!

I would say Laron is ahead of ST as far as football maturity by year 2.

Not a fair comparison either because ST's death grew LL up over night.

Sean Taylor was a beast no doubt and was gonna be a hall of famer, however if LL goes on to have a lengthy career he will be a better player than ST was at the end. ST would have been the greatest, and i believe deserves HoF consideration based on his short career, but sadly never was able to continue his progression. LL will be better than ST was.

Laron is not the next ST but he's the 1st Laron Landry and that ain't bad at all to me. We'll miss ST no doubt but I think Landry and Horton can kinda be a special tandem in their own way barring any type of unforseen setbacks. I like the young chemistry. They can only get better.

Stop feeling guilty about loving Laron Landry! The dude is a complete animal, and it's not disrespectful to compare his play to Sean's. Sean WANTED Landry to play like him. I don't know what games some of you have been watching, but Landry is developing into exactly what Sean was molding him into. I am very excited about the possibilities for dirty 30. It's possible we drafted the two best safeties the league has seen since Ronnie Lott.

It's not at all disrespectful to Sean to appreciate what Landry does for this team. Their talents are very similar. Why do people think Landry is disappointing? Yeah, Sean got more monster hits, but that's mainly because receivers were making far more catches. Don't forget, we had Kenny Wright and Mike Rumph for MULTIPLE games. The receiver was making the catch at least half the time, and Sean was the only one who could stop anybody. Our corners are playing well right now, and that should not be held against Laron.

:applause:

This is the post of the thread.

Landry is playing better at this point in his career than Sean did in his second season. So Landry doesnt hit as hard, who gives a damn? He makes spectacular plays nearly every game. Like The Preciating said, our corners are playing lights out, a big reason you dont hear Landrys name. As was the case for Sean last season, its a great thing we arent hearing Landrys name because his main job is to prevent the deep ball. And when tested, like say, in the playoffs last year, Landry can cover ground and make the pick. Teams just arent trying him, because they know better. I dont understand how or why people would make comparisons. Laron doesnt miss tackles. Laron doesnt blow assignments. Laron, with an acception or two (as a rookie, no-doubt) doesnt make decisions that hurt the team.

If someone were to make comparisons, Id expect them to say Laron is VERY SIMILAR to Sean, if nothing else. Another poster alluded to it, but Sean didnt really come into his own until last season. Many on here were proclaiming Sean to be the best safety in the league two or three years ago when it just wasnt so. One of ST's problems was he always wanted the big hit and as a result would sometimes miss tackles because he was lunging rather than wrapping up. There were times in his second and third years that he got beat deep because he had a tendancy to bite on the play action. You dont see Laron making these mistakes. It was obvious that Sean had turned the corner last year, his fourth season. Laron is 23 games into his career, only 23, and as far as Im concerned should be considered amongst the best in the league. No, he's not as punishing a hitter as ST was, but he still hits hard. But the most impressive thing to me is that Laron doesnt make mistakes. He rarely misses a tackle. You never hear his name mentioned because he got beat deep. Laron is the truth, as was ST. I love ST, but this thread should be all about how we lucked out and got the one and only guy who could be spoken of in the same sentence as a ST, rather than about how how isnt and can never be someone like Sean.

its true they are different and they both are/were spectacular. landry does not get a ball thrown in his direction very often because of how damn smart he is, taylor would just hit the ball out of the recievers hands or scare him into not catching it. together they would have made an amazing pair. though even without ST i think weve got a great tandem not, Chris Horton is a monster run stopper and clearly can pick the ball off. weve got too great guys back there coverin deep and i love to watch them play.

:applause:

This is the post of the thread.

Landry is playing better at this point in his career than Sean did in his second season. So Landry doesnt hit as hard, who gives a damn? He makes spectacular plays nearly every game. Like The Preciating said, our corners are playing lights out, a big reason you dont hear Landrys name. As was the case for Sean last season, its a great thing we arent hearing Landrys name because his main job is to prevent the deep ball. And when tested, like say, in the playoffs last year, Landry can cover ground and make the pick. Teams just arent trying him, because they know better. I dont understand how or why people would make comparisons. Laron doesnt miss tackles. Laron doesnt blow assignments. Laron, with an acception or two (as a rookie, no-doubt) doesnt make decisions that hurt the team.

If someone were to make comparisons, Id expect them to say Laron is VERY SIMILAR to Sean, if nothing else. Another poster alluded to it, but Sean didnt really come into his own until last season. Many on here were proclaiming Sean to be the best safety in the league two or three years ago when it just wasnt so. One of ST's problems was he always wanted the big hit and as a result would sometimes miss tackles because he was lunging rather than wrapping up. There were times in his second and third years that he got beat deep because he had a tendancy to bite on the play action. You dont see Laron making these mistakes. It was obvious that Sean had turned the corner last year, his fourth season. Laron is 23 games into his career, only 23, and as far as Im concerned should be considered amongst the best in the league. No, he's not as punishing a hitter as ST was, but he still hits hard. But the most impressive thing to me is that Laron doesnt make mistakes. He rarely misses a tackle. You never hear his name mentioned because he got beat deep. Laron is the truth, as was ST. I love ST, but this thread should be all about how we lucked out and got the one and only guy who could be spoken of in the same sentence as a ST, rather than about how how isnt and can never be someone like Sean.

"One of ST's problems was he always wanted the big hit"~ that is a very accurate analogy. ST was also one to entice~ sometimes negatively~ other players on the field, plus Sean cost the team many, many yards in penalties~ ;) Now, the plus within these penalties Taylor~ didn't hesitate a bit to bite on the ball and intercept it for a TD "in an effort to make up for his mistakes". :)

Talk about this board being bipolar~ it WAS bipolar with Taylor:cheers:; God bless him. Such a Love/Hate relationship;)

Now~ Landry is a threat within his own right~ he won't make some if the minor/major/large/small mistakes that Taylor made; Landry just "sits" deep and has gained/earned the respect of every NFL team we play~ some, because the teams feared his ex teammate, but mostly they know Landry plays the ball~ not the receiver~ Landry is a ball hog:D~ but trust me,;) he is going to make mistakes~ but they will be his own to "own".

"One of ST's problems was he always wanted the big hit"~ that is a very accurate analogy. ST was also one to entice~ sometimes negatively~ other players on the field' date=' plus Sean cost the team many, many yards in penalties~ ;) Now, the plus within these penalties Taylor~ didn't hesitate a bit to bite on the ball and intercept it for a TD "in an effort to make up for his mistakes". :)

Talk about this board being bipolar~ it WAS bipolar with Taylor:cheers:; God bless him. Such a Love/Hate relationship;)

Now~ Landry is a threat within his own right~ he won't make some if the minor/major/large/small mistakes that Taylor made; Landry just "sits" deep and has gained/earned the respect of every NFL team we play~ some, because the teams feared his ex teammate, but mostly they know Landry plays the ball~ not the receiver~ Landry is a ball hog:D~ but trust me,;) he is going to make mistakes~ but they will be his own to "own".[/quote']

I agree 100% with you my friend. I think though that you misunderstood my point when you point out my reference to ST biting on play action. My point was how ST made these mistakes early in his career, and we are not seeing fundamental mistakes such as this from Landry. Of-course Landry will make mistakes, he is human. But at this point in his career, he is more fundamentally sound than ST was in his second and even third year.

Not sure what you meant by the bi-polar comment, but if you check my post history, you'll see I was making these same arguments long before Landry was even thought about being drafted. ;)

As usual, people didn't read the post and replied. I never said LaRon Landry was Sean Taylor, I never said LaRon Landry wasn't Sean Taylor in a negative context.

Some of you replied with things like "LaRon Landry IS NOT Sean Taylor = NO ****!"

You missed the whole point of the thread. The two of them are not the same player. There's no knock on either of them. My point was, LaRon is LaRon and Sean was Sean. Period.

They play differently, and that's not a bad thing.

ST became more of a ball hawk later in his career here. I think Landry showed he was a ball hawk last year in the playoffs. It's no coincidence that teams are rarely throwing deep versus us and teams are afraid of his range. Lets not forget he dropped 2 easy Int's vs the G-Men and Rams.

He's not the hitter i nthe run game, but makes some big hits in the secondary. Just because they catch the ball doesn't make it less of a hit. ST's best two hits IMO were the ones on Jerry Porter and Reggie Williams and both guys held onto the ball....

The key is for LaRon to be his own man. He can be an effective safety, play his game and have his own swagger. He doesn't need to try to emulate anyone and I hope he doesn't. Maybe in doing so his play will remind people of other great db's in the past.

Archived