Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So nobody thinks Betts will be gone?

dwbiggs

I say put Betts on IR give SA the rest of the year to be Portis's backup and if it works well trade Betts for 2nd round pick, sign SA to another 1 year contract plus incentives and bring back Mason. Let Rock go as well and let Thomas do the kick returns.

... and what if SA ends up being the washed up, softy he has been for the past two years? What then? Let Rock be the backup and bring mason in?

Isn't SA like 32 or something? hasn't he already been in the league for 10 years?

I don't see the logic in this line of thinking, Betts still has plenty more years to play, especially being in the backup role, that should only extend his career even longer. Injuries are a part of the game. If we traded/waived every player that got injured on a regular basis we would have NO defense.

Betts will heal up and remain Portis' backup, hopefully SA will be able to contribute in spot duty and spell both of them from time to time. Rock stay son ST's ... that's his only real value. Love the guy's work ethic though.

Betts is young, runs well, and was just resigned to a contract recently. I don't see it happening

Just watch. Alexander baught # 37. Why? He's only here for a year. I smell horse ****. I would hope someone is smart enough to know Ladell is worth a lot of money as a starting running back. If he were given the ball 25 times a game he'd be right where CP is now.

Somebody's head is on the chopping block. I don't know which one, but as a business moves go, I hope Ledell doesn't have a lot of money tied up in a huge home in DC.:(

Listen to SA's interviews he talks like he wants to be here long term...if he was told up fron that he is here just until Betts got healthy you think he would be talking that way to the reporters?

Of course he talks like he wants to be here long term...he's been unemployed all season...happy to be back to work :)

My expectations of what Alexander will do/accomplish are quite low. If he had any gas left in the tank he would have been snatched up by teams more desparate than us for a RB (Texans early in the season, Detroit, etc.).

The familiarity with Zorn makes sense in us bringing him in to spell Portis, but I don't see him even remotely threatening Betts.

Yes, Betts will be traded after this season. When the chips are down and we need 1 yard, he usually doesn't get it. Remember game 4 last year against the Giants, we lost, Betts could not get 1 yard on 2 plays.

And again this Sunday he could not get one yard when we needed it. This is his last season in the B&G. Sorry.

Betts is young, runs well, and was just resigned to a contract recently. I don't see it happening

He's not that young.

He's 29 and Alexander is 31 (albeit a bit more "used up" 31).

But people do seem to forget that Betts is not a young guy anymore and he has a history of getting hurt.

Alexander isn't the answer of course, but looking for a Betts replacement in the very near future is going to be a necessity.

Well if SA starts going nuts out there like back when he was healthy a couple of season ago I will not put it past us to trade Betts for a second pick.

SA right now has a year contract. But if he blows up all bets are off.

I'm with you on this one. There is nothing like having two premier RB's in your backfield. If SA goes off, I can see Betts sliding down on the totem pole and eventually finding himself on another team in the offseason.

The one thing I like about Zorn, he's all about production. He doesn't play favorites and goes with the guy who he thinks is going to get him a W on Sundays. Not to say Betts isn't good, but we all know Betts cannot block in pass protection. If SA comes out and handles his business it's going to make for a really tough decision later on down the line.

Yes, Betts will be traded after this season. When the chips are down and we need 1 yard, he usually doesn't get it. Remember game 4 last year against the Giants, we lost, Betts could not get 1 yard on 2 plays.

And again this Sunday he could not get one yard when we needed it. This is his last season in the B&G. Sorry.

No way bro. Portis might be the last big halfback trade ever. With all the fresh legs coming out of college every year no one is going to trade for a halfback, EXPECIALLY a career backup. Last 3 years only: D. Williams, R. Bush, L. Maroney, J. Addai, L. White, M. Jones-Drew, J. Norwood, A. Peterson, M. Lynch, A. Bradshaw, S. Young, D. McFadden, J. Stewert, F. Jones, C. Johnson, R. Rice, S. Slaton, M. Forte.

Now, I'm not saying that Betts will definitely be with us next year. I'm just saying I think we can logically say with 95% certainty that there will be no trade involving him.

Well if SA starts going nuts out there like back when he was healthy a couple of season ago I will not put it past us to trade Betts for a second pick.

SA right now has a year contract. But if he blows up all bets are off.

If Alexander "blows up" like he did in his prime, he'll want to start somewhere. That automatically means he won't be here. He's not gonna settle for 10 carries a game.

And Portis, with the career year he's having so far, is not gonna settle for having his carries cut in half for the next few years. Talk about screwing up your locker room.

Add on the fact that Alexander doesn't have to re-sign with the Skins if he doesn't want to...and if he "blows up" his agent's phone will be ringing off the hook. You don't even THINK of trading Betts until you have Alexander re-signed...and him returning to form means he's not about to sign before testing the market.

And lastly, we didn't have a problem at running back...hell, it was probably our strongest unit on the team. So the FO was not looking for an upgrade to the unit...only a temporary upgrade to Rock Cartwright.

If Alexander "blows up" like he did in his prime, he'll want to start somewhere. That automatically means he won't be here.

Alexander is all about getting a ring on his finger. If you paid attention to his pressers you'd hear him say that. He's already had fame, money etc. He mentioned his football career wouldn't be complete without a ring on his finger and he'd do anything to accomplish that.

Now, call me crazy but for the people who are going to ask about his services in the offseason aren't going to be teams contending for the super bowl year in and year out. The Redskins is the best fit for him at this stage in his career. Plus, if you ever heard this guy talk he is a HUGE Redskins fan. His favorite player was Riggins.

Alexander is all about getting a ring on his finger. If you paid attention to his pressers you'd hear him say that. He's already had fame, money etc. He mentioned his football career wouldn't be complete without a ring on his finger and he'd do anything to accomplish that.

Now, call me crazy but for the people who are going to ask about his services in the offseason aren't going to be teams contending for the super bowl year in and year out. The Redskins is the best fit for him at this stage in his career. Plus, if you ever heard this guy talk he is a HUGE Redskins fan. His favorite player was Riggins.

You think he can't get a "ring on his finger" with another team? You think he can't convince himself that he can get a "ring on his finger" with a team that not only wants to start him, but pay him 8 times more than the Skins would?

He's already been to the Super Bowl, so that urge won't be as strong as if he had never been.

... and what if SA ends up being the washed up, softy he has been for the past two years? What then? Let Rock be the backup and bring mason in?

Isn't SA like 32 or something? hasn't he already been in the league for 10 years?

I don't see the logic in this line of thinking, Betts still has plenty more years to play, especially being in the backup role, that should only extend his career even longer. Injuries are a part of the game. If we traded/waived every player that got injured on a regular basis we would have NO defense.

Betts will heal up and remain Portis' backup, hopefully SA will be able to contribute in spot duty and spell both of them from time to time. Rock stay son ST's ... that's his only real value. Love the guy's work ethic though.

Betts has been injured every year since he has been here. He is 29 and always has some problem with his legs. I don't think he is as valuable with Zorn and company as he was with Gibbs. SA is still a former NFL MVP, while Betts has only rushed for a 1000 yards once in his career. Zorn has more of a comfort level with SA then LB, so I think this will be a major decision. SA also seems to be totally healthy and I believe him not being signed by another club will give him more incentive to run hard. I might be wrong but on the outside looking in I think Zorn would go with a former league MVP he has worked with then a career fumbling backup that often fumbles during critical points in a game. Besides that game last year when he couldn't even get 1 yard on 2 tries was the final nail in the coffin for me. I simply don't think he has much of a future here with the new regime.

We really need that 2nd round pick back that we traded for Taylor. I wouldn't be opposed to it, IF SA showed major upside.

It's more likely that we picked up SA because Portis' injury was worse than expected!

The ONLY way we'd get more than a 3 or a 4 for Betts is if we were able to find a team in panic mode. Panic mode usually only occurs after the draft.

Betts has been injured every year since he has been here. He is 29 and always has some problem with his legs. I don't think he is as valuable with Zorn and company as he was with Gibbs. SA is still a former NFL MVP, while Betts has only rushed for a 1000 yards once in his career. Zorn has more of a comfort level with SA then LB, so I think this will be a major decision. SA also seems to be totally healthy and I believe him not being signed by another club will give him more incentive to run hard. I might be wrong but on the outside looking in I think Zorn would go with a former league MVP he has worked with then a career fumbling backup that often fumbles during critical points in a game. Besides that game last year when he couldn't even get 1 yard on 2 tries was the final nail in the coffin for me. I simply don't think he has much of a future here with the new regime.

fair enough ... I only worry about people's perception of the term and overvaluing of a "former league MVP" and the current situation.

"Former" is the key word here. From the little we've all seen, he seems hungry and looks like he is healthy. I am all for having someone of his caliber on our squad. I just think that Betts is still a huge part of our running game. I have not seen Betts fumble this year. And as for his fumbling in the past, IMO it seems to be no more than #26 has laid the ball on the ground, or anyone else for that matter. I have seen plenty rb's in the b&g get stopped short of a first down with less than 2 yards to go. I think folks are singling out that play a little unfairly. Let's not forget our OL sucked at the time as well. Just my take, Betts is worth more to us than he would ever be on the open market. This is a good problem to have.

Like I said, I love Rock as a player, his work ethic and his intensity. But if his only attribute is kickoff returns, and kickoffs ... seems to me he would be the odd man out.

Don't get me wrong, I like the move to bet Alexander, I like that he understands his role here, and that his is happy to be i DC, and has respect for this team. He is not trying to ruffle any feathers, he just wants to play football. That is a good thing.

saying he is young is relative...

until SA was signed the other day, betts was the oldest RB we have. hes 29 (a year older than me to the day actually). rock is 4 months younger. and portis is 2 years younger (same bday as my mom, coincidentally).

SA is 2 years older than betts and has a lot more wear and tear.

so hes not exactly 'young' if you look at our other RBs.

If Alexander "blows up" like he did in his prime, he'll want to start somewhere. That automatically means he won't be here. He's not gonna settle for 10 carries a game.

And Portis, with the career year he's having so far, is not gonna settle for having his carries cut in half for the next few years. Talk about screwing up your locker room.

Add on the fact that Alexander doesn't have to re-sign with the Skins if he doesn't want to...and if he "blows up" his agent's phone will be ringing off the hook. You don't even THINK of trading Betts until you have Alexander re-signed...and him returning to form means he's not about to sign before testing the market.

And lastly, we didn't have a problem at running back...hell, it was probably our strongest unit on the team. So the FO was not looking for an upgrade to the unit...only a temporary upgrade to Rock Cartwright.

This pretty much sums it up. :2cents:

Well let me put it to you this way. if you are a DC and you had to worry about betts or SA which one do you think you would be worring most? If SA shows he still has the skill he gives us more options when he is in there. Yes Yes i know he can't catch but how many times has Betts caught a ball this year?

We brought SA in because Betts was out, and if you haven't noticed, Portis hasn't practiced all week. We want to win. So, we brought in the best RB we could afford in case Portis can't play. Just so happens the guy is a former MVP and if he can prove himself to be a better backup than Betts, well then Betts will go. Or, we keep Betts, and cut Rock. If SA doesn't have it left, then we got him for the year and his contract is up anyway. Basically, the position is we can do whatever we want based on performance throughout the rest of the season.

Archived