Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

So nobody thinks Betts will be gone?

dwbiggs

Betts better not be going anywhere....hes far more talented and more valuable to us than Alexander.
Ummmm, no he's not. How in the world can you say he is far more talented than SA?

To answer the OP question, I don't think he's going anywhere, regardless if SA does well or not. If SA does well, we might get a bidding war with other teams and I hope we wouldn't offer big money to the guy, simply because he is already 31 years old. If another team doesn't out bid us, should he perform well, then I could see us signing him again and making Betts our 3rd stringer.

Even if SA has anything close to a year resembling '05, i still dont think we will be dumb enough to release Betts. The main reason is SA is in his 30's. He will retire soon. I think SA will be used like TJ Duckett was when Portis was hurt. Only now, SA will be used a lil more than Duckett. Rock will still get his touches.

I posted this link in another thread but.....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/15/AR2008101503218_2.html?sid=ST2008101503397&s_pos=

Alexander has a one year deal and Betts just re-signed in 06 so the Redskins are not going to eat that money since Betts has been such a great compliment to Portis. If Alexander has a good year I could see the team re-signing him to maybe a 2-3 year deal and utilizing all three backs in various schemes but who knows for sure right now Zorn was thinking of the security of the back field and had to get someone that he not only knew but he felt could produce quickly in his style offense and keep the ground game the force that it has been through the first six games.

Alexander, if he is really healthy and in shape could still start for some team for a few more years. He was the NFL MVP a few years ago the year we should have beaten the Seahawks in the playoffs remember? People say that he has too many carries don't know what they are talking about. Here are some recent or active players with more carries.

Tiki Barber (not exactly know to be a 25 carries a game guy until his last 3 years in NFL)

Fred Taylor had 200 more and hes been injured more, is older and still puts up numbers.

Edgerrin James 800 more carries and a lot of receptions too, still starting

LT 300 more carries

Warrick Dunn 400 more, and he isn't even a 250-350 carry guy and is averaging 5ypc now in his 12th year. Alexander played 8 years, right?

Not that I think he will be any good, but it's not like he shouldn't be.

I believe the answer to the question in the thread title is "Yes."
Alexander is a stopgap measure, nothing more. I have a question for the board, however: how does SA's 1 year contract, should he be released after Ladell gets healthy, affect our cap number? Anybody that can shed some light on this thanks in advance.

Is there be a player that could be placed on the PS to KEEP SA here, for the long haul IN CASE the injury to Hottie becomes a nagging one?

Archived