Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Torrence laments getting beat

brandymac27

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/oct/13/torrence-laments-getting-beaten-on-long-pass/

The Washington Redskins lost three fumbles in their 19-17 defeat at the hands of the St. Louis Rams on Sunday. They also dropped several balls, made glaring errors on special teams and were penalized seven times.

It was cornerback Leigh Torrence, however, who committed the mistake that proved decisive.

Torrence was beaten by rookie receiver Donnie Avery for a 43-yard catch that set up a 49-yard game-winning field goal by Josh Brown as time expired.

The frustrated Torrence dashed out of the FedEx Field locker room after the game without speaking to reporters, but after a generally sleepless night he was ready to talk.

"I've been thinking about it pretty much nonstop since," Torrence said. "I'm in man-to-man coverage, and you know they're going to try to take a shot. He's one of their deep threats. I was just trying to make a play on the ball. I wasn't able to come up with it. I definitely could've been a hero. That's kind of the life you live out there on the corner."

Cornerback Fred Smoot, who wasn't on the field on the play because he had injured his groin, said Torrence was in a tough spot because the pass from Marc Bulger was underthrown.

"The underthrown ball - that's the most dangerous ball to a cornerback," Smoot said. "[The receiver] can judge it, and we can't. Nine times out of 10 it's gonna be a [defensive] pass interference or he's going to have a better chance to catch the ball than we do."

The absence of Smoot and injured safety Reed Doughty forced the Redskins to play little-used rookie Kareem Moore in the dime package with the Rams facing third-and-13 at the St. Louis 41 with just 1:13 left.

Moore was assigned to cover running back Steven Jackson, but Jackson stayed in to block. In that case, Moore was supposed to blitz, but he neither blitzed nor raced back to help in coverage.

"[Kareem] got stuck in the mud six feet behind the line of scrimmage," coach Jim Zorn said. "He kind of did one of these deals where he's looking for somebody. The quarterback came his way - he would of had a chance to have a nice shot on him."

Michael Connor / The Washington Times Leigh Torrence: "I was just trying to make a play on the ball. I wasn't able to come up with it. I definitely could've been a hero."

Cornerbacks coach Jerry Gray also declined to blame Torrence, whose tip of a Kurt Warner bomb intended for Steve Breaston led to a critical interception by Carlos Rogers in the 24-17 victory over the Arizona Cardinals on Sept. 21.

"When you let teams that you're supposed to [beat] hang around, one play can beat you. And guess what? That's the one play," Gray said. "Leigh had him covered good. If the ball had been thrown correctly, he probably makes the play. ... Kareem was supposed to be a blitzer. Is [Jackson] coming or not coming out? You pick up tips from film. Young guys learn from mistakes. Hopefully this one won't show anymore."

Injury updates

Running back Ladell Betts underwent an MRI on his sprained knee Monday, and his status for Sunday's game against the Cleveland Browns is uncertain.

Offensive tackle Chris Samuels has mild sprains of a medial collateral ligament and an ankle. Receiver James Thrash, who was hit in the back by teammate Antwaan Randle El, also has a sprained knee, and safety Chris Horton has a sprained ankle. All should play against the Browns, as should Smoot.

Strongside linebacker Marcus Washington (hamstring), left tackle Cornelius Griffin (shoulder), cornerback Shawn Springs (calf) and defensive end Jason Taylor (calf) each made it through the Rams game without a setback and should be ready for Cleveland.

Zorn said he foresees a competition between Jon Jansen and Stephon Heyer at right tackle when Heyer shows he can "explode" again after suffering a sprained right shoulder that sidelined him the past three games. The coach last week had maintained the job was Heyer's.

Malcolm Kelly's surgically repaired left knee was drained of fluid twice last week. That prompted Zorn to say the Redskins might consider placing the rookie receiver, who has just one catch, on injured reserve at some point.

"Moore was assigned to cover running back Steven Jackson, but Jackson stayed in to block. In that case, Moore was supposed to blitz, but he neither blitzed nor raced back to help in coverage."

wow, skins couldve used that extra pressure, they were basically playing 10 defenders out there on that play as Moore didnt do jack ish

Seems to be a lot of lamenting going on at Redskins Park right now...

They're allowed to lament until tomorrow morning. Then it's time to get it together and figure out a way to beat the Browns. I'm glad they're cognizant of the precise reasons for their failures so they can avoid repeating them, but you don't want them to dwell on this for too long.

"I've been thinking about it pretty much nonstop since," Torrence said. "I'm in man-to-man coverage, and you know they're going to try to take a shot. He's one of their deep threats. I was just trying to make a play on the ball. I wasn't able to come up with it. I definitely could've been a hero. That's kind of the life you live out there on the corner."

Trying to make a play on the ball???!!!! Give me a ****ing break. He didn't even cared to turn his head around and see where the ball was, he was either looking at the endzone, at the ground or at the receiver's face.

Trying to make a play on the ball???!!!! Give me a ****ing break. He didn't even cared to turn his head around and see where the ball was, he was either looking at the endzone, at the ground or at the receiver's face.

Dude, Torrence was step for step with the receiver. Had the ball not been underthrown, he would have been in position to make a play on the ball once he saw the receiver trying to track it. He lost that chess match when the ball was underthrown because the receiver had the advantage of looking back, and just so happened to make a great play on the ball. Springs, Rogers and Smoot all could have just as easily been beat on that play. If you still wanna play the blame game, which I wouldnt because there were so many plays that lost us this game, but if you insist, you can blame the rookie Moore on that specific play. But again, there were far too many mistakes made by a number of people to try and pin it on one specific play. Its over, get over it and pray we play mistake free ball against the Browns.

Seems it's about time the Skins do exactly what they need to do. Get their damn heads out of the clouds. I'd been saying all week that they were going to get ****y and think they could just have the Rams waltz in and hand them the game.

After last night, they better be doing some MAJOR film study on the Browns. Hopefully, they'll be focused for that game. :rolleyes:

Anyone that cares about themself, or their career would react the same way Torrence did. These guys aren't machines without emotions.

It's part of the game. Any poster here who had a bad day at the office might dash outta work quick, too.

Wait...logical posts? I thought as a forum we were doing the overreaction posts right now? Dang it! I didn't get the memo! :)

This is coming from an elite corners mouth right? You must of been the #1 corner all throughout your highschool and all throughout the division one school you were playing for right? No, you have no football knowledge and you have no football experience so please refrain from posting in topics like this. Like Smoot stated, an underthrown ball is almost impossible to make a play on. I goto hand it to torrence, he stayed with the defender really well for undercutting his route. Luck will come his way. His coverage ability is above average, it's just a damn shame he isn't lucky and misses plays on balls by finger tips. As for the safety help.....we might very well have missed Reed on that play.

You know what? The entire team messed up this game, especially when you think Kendal could have just let the ball fall to the ground. I mean you can single out many plays, much easier than the Torrence mess up. One thing however, watching the Browns yesterday, we have a chance to make a statement by beating them. They destroyed the Giants.

The damage is done now he can't or the skins can't dwell on this too much longer they have to move on. I'm thinking we're going to see an angry bunch of Redskins come sunday. They're embarassed and they know that The Rams really didn't beat them.

Thank you. He had no idea where the damn ball was...he never turned around, even when he saw Avery's preparing to make the catch.

There's more to good coverage than just proximity. Springs would have been all over that.

Dude is never going to make this right unless he literally runs back an INT for a game winning touchdown at some point this year. Tall order.

Thank you. He had no idea where the damn ball was...he never turned around, even when he saw Avery's preparing to make the catch.

There's more to good coverage than just proximity. Springs would have been all over that.

Dude is never going to make this right unless he literally runs back an INT for a game winning touchdown at some point this year. Tall order.

1) He IS the 4th CB. I think he is good enough to be a 3rd on most teams.

2) The underplayed ball is extremely difficult to defend (I know from experience). Even with perfect coverage, you often get pass interference call because the WR moves back for the ball. If you look back before you know the ball is in the air, the WR can easily fade the direction you're looking and gain great seperation. As a CB you really need to wait until the WR gives some indication that the ball is on its way. With an underthrown ball, the receiver might not know that the ball isn't going to make it until it's 2/3 of the way there. Therefore, their first move is to break back towards the ball. It's a difficult catch for them to adjust to, but an even more difficult pass for the CB to avoid pass interference and make a play on the ball as they have virtually a split second to cut back, locate the ball and make a play.

Archived