Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Do we put Brooks on IR

MonkfortheHall

You don't think he has any potential? He is adjusting to the speed of the game. He was never under much pressure in college. I would really like to give him one season to see how he pans out.

Hail

dont get me wrong i know the speed of the game presents a problem but you'd think he would know his job was in trouble and he would just purely focus on kicking the crap out of the ball

Didn't Zorn say that Brooks kicked fine in practice? If so, for Brooks, it might not be a physical problem but a psychological one.

If that is the case, the only way to know how Brooks is going to perform in a game is to have him play not rest and more practice. Brooks is just going to have to fight through it and perform. Rest will not stop one from choking.

Cutting Brooks would be a HUGE mistake. He's a rookie, and playing with an injury. He's shown promise, and we used a draft pick on him.

Let's not do something impetuous or stupid.

Agree wholeheartedly.

He has potential and we didnt give up on any other player this fast.

Its simple mechanics if anything (not to mention the injury).

He has all the skill in the world.

You can teach mechanics.

If we sign another punter, what happens to DB? I think he shows signs of promise and I'm not ready to give up on him.

Do we bring in someone for the interim while Brooks heals?

Punting is a head thing.. Punting and place kicking are the only things that don't change a whole hell of a lot from college to NFL. I just think we made a mistake drafting him, and made another mistaking keeping him over Frost. I don't want to make anymore mistakes with him. Cut him loose.

Three words...Remember David Akers...off to IR he should go (yes I know DA is a kicker). He will be great punter eventually; it takes a while to get some guys up to speed. He will get there. Be patient. Many people on this board want every draft pick to be a super star in the first year. We should be more patient in bringing talent along. It allows us a lot of cap room for future rosters, is better for overall morale, and as we all know - it is better to build youth through the draft, then getting everyone via FA.

I said this about five or six times yesterday, and will continue to shout it from the tree tops until the FO hears me. Injuries in punters and kickers are obnoxious and could be a sign of recurring problems (Brett Conway, John Hall, etc.), but this kid is too young and too talented to give up on yet.

Should he be our punter right now? Possibly not, given his sometimes up-and-down performances. But there is a history of kickers/punters failing with their first team, then flourishing elsewhere when given a 2nd chance.

Is that because it takes failure to get them to wake up and take this game seriously? Not in this case, IMO. I just think Brooks has to work things out and if we can "stash" him on IR, how big a risk is that? We're paying him dirt (in NFL salary terms), and we already spent the draft pick for him, so as they say in the bidness, just let it ride [for another year].

And really, if he doesn't seem to improve in his workouts or later into the offseason, what has the team lost if they cut him then? Only the pro-rated portion of his $324,000 salary. And next year he'd bump up to a $414,000 cap hit.

Punting is a head thing.. Punting and place kicking are the only things that don't change a whole hell of a lot from college to NFL. I just think we made a mistake drafting him, and made another mistaking keeping him over Frost. I don't want to make anymore mistakes with him. Cut him loose.

Cutting him loose at this point is probably a mistake. Especially since the option exists for IR.

Why not place him on the practice squad and get him working with the team shrink. There are all kinds of advancements in the field of Sports Psychology that could help this kid reach his potential. IR is a little drastic for an injury as minor as his. Methinks.

Zorn said he had something in his Quadriceps that was bad, and while it might not always affect him in practice, it could in theory effect his form punting. I'd inactivate him for a game maybe two before IRing him and I would not cut him. that would be a bad move. At the very least let him come back and try to earn a spot next year on the team. If he doesn't then let him go then I say.

Three words...Remember David Akers...off to IR he should go (yes I know DA is a kicker). He will be great punter eventually; it takes a while to get some guys up to speed. He will get there. Be patient. Many people on this board want every draft pick to be a super star in the first year. We should be more patient in bringing talent along. It allows us a lot of cap room for future rosters, is better for overall morale, and as we all know - it is better to build youth through the draft, then getting everyone via FA.

Up to speed on punting? Punters punt for years.. Just because they come into the NFL doesn't mean he punts differently. Like I said before kicking is 95% Head, 5% leg. I don't think mentally he can handle the NFL.

Archived