Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why all the hate for Pete Kendall?

Big Mac Patty Wack

That play had a one in a million chance of happening...and it happened. Kendall thought he could maybe run for a few yards and trip up somewhere past the line of scrimmage. In the heat of the game, you just think about getting the ball farther down the field, and when does an o-lineman have the experience ofa ball falling into his lap. Just applaud him for his desire to help out even though it was mistake in hindsight. What if he happened to get pushed a few extra yards by a teammate for a 1st down?

Probably because he made one of the dumbest plays possible.

Scenario 1:

He catches the ball runs for 2 more yards (which loses 2 yards for us) and the clock continues to run down ruining our chances of scoring. Also, he could fumble.

Scenario 2:

He bats the ball down and we get the ball back at the line of scrimmage with the clock stopped.

You're right, I wonder why he's getting so much heat for making this decision?

He does not deserve to be taken out to the wood shed ....... but ...... He has more than enough experience to understand that he is supposed to bat that ball to the ground.

Should he find himself ever again with a ball falling into his hands he will do the right thing and throw it to the ground or at the very least fall on it.

The hate for Pete Kendall for that fumble will subside, people know that it was really a fluke play all the way around. It's just really fresh and raw in the brain right now.

But, I am disappointed in him and the whole Offensive Line in general. It seems like they were the ones who had the biggest heads coming into the game out of all the other players.

Our veteran line, looking shell shocked from the outset.

That play had a one in a million chance of happening...and it happened. Kendall thought he could maybe run for a few yards and trip up somewhere past the line of scrimmage. In the heat of the game, you just think about getting the ball farther down the field, and when does an o-lineman have the experience ofa ball falling into his lap. Just applaud him for his desire to help out even though it was mistake in hindsight. What if he happened to get pushed a few extra yards by a teammate for a 1st down?

what if he happened to get pushed a few........ blah blah blah but it didnt.

as an o line, while that play doesnt happen... like u ve said one in a million .... the idea for an "o-line" is to just knock it down. dont even try to catch it iin the first place. im sorry but that is what you teach o lines to do. no one is questioning his desire to play. all he had to do was knock it down. is it too much to ask for?

When you're a lineman you don't try to run with the ball, period. That's basic high school stuff.

For that matter, Campbell never should've tried to pick up the fumbled snap and run with it. Fall on the damn ball. The play is already busted at that point, don't make it worse.

Actually, if you go to the game, you would also notice that Kendall gets really irate at the fans when they make any kind of noise. I mean, I also hate it when fans make noise on O, but he gets really visibly upset, it's a bit over the top in my opinion.

Funny thing, after he screwed up on that play, all of a sudden, no complaining from him. He knew that was on him. Shame.

OL are always told to knock it down, he's a veteran... he knows better than to catch and run, with under 30 seconds left.

He's a good guard, sucks as a ball carrier

we should have had a fg instead lose 7 gimme points, and give rams hope and the ball to start the 2nd half

knock it down

Can't blame the game on Pete. How bout Cooley's fumble? How bout the bad snap to Jason, and then his inability to simply fall on the ball? How bout the weak special teams today? See a trend here? That's right the ENTIRE TEAM LOST THIS GAME. Our Skins will bounce back and beat the Browns and Lions....keep the faith, 6-2 is on the way.

what if he happened to get pushed a few........ blah blah blah but it didnt.

as an o line, while that play doesnt happen... like u ve said one in a million .... the idea for an "o-line" is to just knock it down. dont even try to catch it iin the first place. im sorry but that is what you teach o lines to do. no one is questioning his desire to play. all he had to do was knock it down. is it too much to ask for?

Wasn't it behind the line of scrimmage? = Live Ball?

Refresh my memory. I'm lost in all of the hype.

Of course he deserves the blame for that play. But I'm not ready to bench him or cut him because he made one stupid play that occurs like once every 3000 games.

Oh ya, while We're at it let's bench Cooley as well, he gave up our first turnover this season.( 20 quarters consecuetive quarters without)

Wasn't it behind the line of scrimmage? = Live Ball?

Refresh my memory. I'm lost in all of the hype.

You're thinking of a backwards pass. Passing it backwards is a live ball if it falls to the ground. A forward pass behind or beyond the LOS is treated the same. Just think about screen passes where the ball gets tossed over the head of the receiver--it's just a dead play.

But as an O-lineman, knocking the ball down is what they teach you in peewee football. I'm not gonna hate on Kendall too much, it's a rare play and was a spur of the moment decision. He's been playing too good for us since he was acquired to **** on him for one bad play. :2cents:

Can't blame the game on Pete. How bout Cooley's fumble? How bout the bad snap to Jason, and then his inability to simply fall on the ball? How bout the weak special teams today? See a trend here? That's right the ENTIRE TEAM LOST THIS GAME. Our Skins will bounce back and beat the Browns and Lions....keep the faith, 6-2 is on the way.

Except for the prediction about 6-2 (let's just play the Browns, ok?) I agree completely.

Should Kendall have knocked down the pass on that freak play, and does he know this? For sure.

But the whole team lost to the Lambs. The score never should have been close enough for that play to matter. We should have beaten them like a dusty rug. We should have beaten them 31-7 including Pete's play. Many people had many mental lapses at exactly the wrong times.

Don't blame Pete. He's an excellent lineman. The score never should have been close enough for that to matter.

Scenario 1:

He catches the ball runs for 2 more yards (which loses 2 yards for us) and the clock continues to run down ruining our chances of scoring. Also, he could fumble.

Scenario 2:

He bats the ball down and we get the ball back at the line of scrimmage with the clock stopped.

OMG,...settle down. Fluke play, that indeed ended up being the key play that lost the game for the Skins. But overall, they just didn't play well, and the Rams played better. Shocker we lost.

Scenario 1:

Scenario 2:

exactly, that play IMO lost us the game.

The rams had no offensive td's and had 4 fgs (would have been 3 if Kendall didn't fumble) and we would have probably won by 10 or more.

**** happens though.

All OL know to KNOCK THE BALL DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

don't try to make a play out of it

Ok, well if people are hating on Kendall, then they're wrong to do so. Most of us all, if not all of us, know how great he's been and what he's meant to this offensive line. And that's probably why so many of us are upset and irritated with him even deciding to catch the ball in the first place - he caught it 9 yards behind the line of scrimmage (according to NFL.com) and THEN fumbled the ball resulting an 7 immediate points for St. Louis.

I'm sure he'll probably never do it again, but still no reason to think that fans shouldn't be upset - we should be, as should he. I truly feel bad for him though because it could have happened to anyone. I respect him for taking the blame for it and hope that he deals with it after today. I'm sure next week he'll be stallar.

Pete's decision was brutally poor to catch it and it ended up in a 10 or a 14 point swing and might have cost us the game. But the other 2 turnovers would have likely turned into points. And he's a stand-up guy and took the blame for the play and took it on himself. This team is full of guys like him who don't blame others but instead take responsibility for their own actions. And his performance has been otherwise solid.

Archived