Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC: His Knee better, Kelly Hopes to Practice

SkinsAllDay34

His Knee Better, Kelly Hopes to Practice

Jason Reid reports:

The swelling in the left knee of rookie wide receiver Malcolm Kelly subsided quickly and Kelly plans to practice this week in hopes of playing Sunday against the St. Louis Rams at FedEx Field.

"It's been frustrating," said Kelly, sidelined the entire preseason and in three of Washington's first five games because of injuries.

"It was kind of bothering of me after the game, but it feels pretty good now. I iced it all day long [Monday], it's feeling good now and I'm scheduled to practice all week. It wasn't even a deal where it was painful. When the inflammation gets in there, it gets kind of tight."

Kelly was active Sept. 14 against the New Orleans Saints and had his only reception, a six-yard gain, in the Redskins' 29-24 victory. Coach Jim Zorn has expressed concern about some of Kelly's route running as he continues to adjust to the NFL.

"I kind of felt it [his knee] a few times, but then when I looked on film, I was still running just as good as I have been running," Kelly said. "It's wasn't a deal where it was slowing me down.

"I wasn't hesitant coming in and out of any of my routes. I wasn't hesitant when I was blocking. I guess it's just something I have to deal with."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

NOW WILL EVERYBODY SHUT UP AND CHILL OUT, I TOLD YOU HE WOULD PLAY AND BE FINE. GIVE HIM MORE THAN FIVE ****ING WEEKS TO JUDGE HIM.

This was right under it:

Rogers Opts to Spend the Day at Work

Jason Reid reports:

Although players were off today, cornerback Carlos Rogers had work to do at Redskins Park. It would seem Rogers was entitled to a break considering how well he played during Sunday's 23-17 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles, but there's always room for improvement, Rogers said.

"Just trying to establish myself and help my team, man," Rogers said. "Any man they put me on, my job is to shut 'em down. That's what I always try to do."

I still say we shoulda drafted Kelly

He is legit 6'4 receiver that catches anything thrown near him. I liked the pick and knew about the "knee issues" but didnt think and still dont think its a issue.

....but the way you posted this it seems you meant to say somebody else instead of Kelly, maybe i am wrong and you like Kelly and want to give him time like me.:cheers:

He is legit 6'4 receiver that catches anything thrown near him. I liked the pick and knew about the "knee issues" but didnt think and still dont think its a issue.

The guy can't get on the field because of an injury and you don't think it's an issue?

....but the way you posted this it seems you meant to say somebody else instead of Kelly, maybe i am wrong and you like Kelly and want to give him time like me.:cheers:

Nah, I was sayin that being sarcastic because everybody says we shoulda drafted "_____" instead of Kelly. So I figured I'd pre-empt them and do a pro-Kelly post.

The guy can't get on the field because of an injury and you don't think it's an issue?

Well, right now he isn't getting on the field because he's still getting comfortable with what Zorn wants him to do. Also, the fact that we have a couple veterans carrying the load right now doesn't make it any easier to get on the field.

Jason

I am not as optimistic as Kelly; I think his knee swelled from the few plays he was in on. If it was from a lack of use, it would have been swollen for a month now. It seems like there is a injury update of some sort on him every few days; this does not bode well for us. This guy is not getting healthier as we had all hoped; it seems he is destined to go to IR before the year is up.

I hope he proves me wrong, i had very high hopes for him.

Well, right now he isn't getting on the field because he's still getting comfortable with what Zorn wants him to do. Also, the fact that we have a couple veterans carrying the load right now doesn't make it any easier to get on the field.

Jason

I don't buy that. THere are still plenty of chances for him to get on the field especially in the red zone. I'm fairly confident in saying that the coaching staff would love to have him on the field near the end zone...

Just sayin..

He played last week, and he looks like he'll practice and play this week. Too early to tell on this, but he's certainly worth the risk, given his size, speed, and production in college. We need a big body in this offense.

No I dont, because if his "knee condition" was so bad, the redskins would have IRed him. They kept him on the roster. I dont think he is a bust after 5 games into his career, but you probably do. Just look at things that happened to him.

Training camp it started with a hammy, not his knee. Then he got his knee scoped for loose particles, which happens normally for players on a football team (ARE, Blades).

He got healthy for the NO game and got in on a 3rd down and converted it with a nice 6 yard catch, but got a helmet right to the ankle, again not his knee.

Now he cant get on the field because of his familiarity with his route running, and veterans and fellow Rookie DT above him and playing fairly well IMO. And again that wasnt his knee...

Also like some said, the swelling is probably from not being used alot due to the ankle injury. The swelling also like JLC said subsided quickly and Kelly should practice fully this week and play against the rams.

So i dont think its an issue, because the "knee issues" of college, have not slowed him down. Now it is just a matter of him working in the offense, he is healthy now and experienced a bad luck trend in august.

Also, i know its beating a dead horse, but Santana did miss around 14 games his rookie year and i am certain, with him being a 1st round pick (16th overall), jets fans thought he was a bust. He has turned out OK IMO. Kelly is a late 2nd round pick, and is well worth the "risk", even though i dont think he will have major long term injury issues.

No, it's not an issue yet. It's pretty common for rookie WRs to struggle. He's been knicked up with some little, unlucky injuries as SkinsAllday explained. Give him some time before you decide he's a bust.

Well, right now he isn't getting on the field because he's still getting comfortable with what Zorn wants him to do.
Which brings me to the question of; how exactly is this guys knee always swelling and recieving other injuries, when he is barely ever on the field?

its to the point that i don't expect to see Kelly take the field in any significant way this year, might be drastic but thats the feeling i'm getting

i would IR him and let him come back 100% next season, its not like he's going to contribute all that much this year anyway

That would be the stupidest thing to do (IR him). IRing him doesnt allow him to practice which would set him back a lot. He is fine.

The thing about rookies is that they are worked harder than anyone during the offseason.

These guys go right from the end of their college season in to preperations for the draft. They never get the time to let their bodies relax like pro's do at the end of a season. They are worked out, run, poked, prodded, and everything else.

Kelly just needs time ... he will be find and he will be a very good football player.

Im pumped about all three of our 2nd round draft picks. As Campbell matures, having a ton of weapons ISNT going to hurt him.

I am just wondering. Are there any of the teams training staff on this board?

Didnt really think so.

Then how come alot of the members here jump on an injury with out knowing the severity?

And its not just about M. Kelly.

Seems when ever there is an injury, mostly reported by the press (we all know how reliable they are) the members here tend to have some harsh reactions.

"the guy is a bust"

"cant get on the field, why did we draft him"

"cant stay healthy, why did we waste a pick and trade for him"

"put him on the IR, maybe he can do us some good next year"

"we should have put him on the PUP"

and on, and on.

Football is a contact sport, players get injured, and **** happens.

As far as injuries go, I think our team is in much better shape then alot of other teams out there.

HTTR

I'm more encouraged by the part about Rogers. I guess all the talk the other day about how he has matured and really started to study the game is rue.

Kelly will get hurt somehow I'm sure...I'm not going to get my hopes up.

The real question here is how did JLC get these quotes? Did he drill a hole in the locker room wall?

Hopefully Rogers is working with Jason Campbell and the recievers after another dropped int...

Much rather stop a completion than have a completion. He isn't a WR. Love to see you go out there and have a ball thrown 70mph with your back turned, then turn at the last second to try and catch it. Brett Favre threw a 110mph pass before. He shut TO down, shut Desean Jackson down, what more do you want?

Archived