Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What would our offense look like with Reggie Bush-type player?

Touchdown Redskins

I would love to have a dynamic player like him on the team but i am not impressed at all with his running.

Yeah, I'll agree that he isn't very good at running between the tackles whatsoever, which is why I included Chris Johnson in that group. He's someone who's a much better runner, can catch the ball well (although they have yet to use him like that), and can hit a homerun everytime he touches the ball.

Actually the Patriots have done it with Kevin Faulk (although he played a lesser role).

Are you freaking kidding me? Kevin f'n Faulk vs Reggie Bush? Seriously? When does Faulk return meaningful punts/kick returns or perform minor miracles on plays in the flat? He has exactly TWO total CAREER touchdowns on kick/punt returns.

This thread is awful.

I think people may be missing the point of this thread, because if anyone on ES doesn't think we could benefit with a change of pace back, with reggie bush, chris johnson, felix jones, jerious norwood like speed, taken with a LUXURY pick, like said in the original post...you are an idiot.

I wonder why the Saints aren't dominant year in and year out with "great" players like Reggie Bush...:doh::doh::doh:

Well, the Saints offense ranked #1 in 2006, #4 in 2007, and is #3 so far in 2008.

With that said, if we had Bush on our offense, that'd be great. But I wouldn't spend a first round pick on him.

agreed...but neither would be a luxury pick...I think that these positions (line...linebackers) make up the heart of a team, but say, if we traded back and picked up a 2nd rounder or something in the next year or two, and one was available...I'd have no qualms with drafting someone who could return kicks, and be a versatile homerun threat.

Are you freaking kidding me? Kevin f'n Faulk vs Reggie Bush? Seriously? When does Faulk return meaningful punts/kick returns or perform minor miracles on plays in the flat? He has exactly TWO total CAREER touchdowns on kick/punt returns.

This thread is awful.

If it's so awful, don't post. And Kevin Faulk has been an integral part of the Patriots dynasty. He has converted key third downs and touchdowns out of the backfield with his running and catching abilities. Do you not remember in last year's epic Indy/New England regular season match-up in which his third down reception essentially iced the game for New England? Or what about his direct snap run for a touchdown when the played the Panthers in the Super Bowl?

It'd have to be a luxury first rounder, which doesn't really exist.

Not necessarily. Jerrious Norwood wasn't a first rounder. Neither was Darren Sproles. Neither was Devin Hester.

We wouldn't be able to run the ball.

Please read the rest of the thread before you post. Thanks.

Exactly.

You gotta like what the Giants are doing offensively without a "Reggie Bush- type player".

Actually, they do have one. His name is Ahmad Bradshaw.

I think people may be missing the point of this thread, because if anyone on ES doesn't think we could benefit with a change of pace back, with reggie bush, chris johnson, felix jones, jerious norwood like speed, taken with a LUXURY pick, like said in the original post...you are an idiot.

Thank you.

I'll pass.

I'd take him as a punt returner but I think we're better off right now althoguh I'm sure Zorn could come up with some pretty creative ways to use him in the passing game.

I'm not a huge fan of him as a running back though.

Reggie Bush is too tall and too strung out to be succesful as a RB. 6'0 and 200? that's a lightweight. He's wideout sized but he doesn't run routes like a WR or have the natural hands of a WR.

he also runs way way too upright. that's why he's so damn fast, but he also gets wrecked so many times because he's asking for a big hit.

Reggie Bush is too tall and too strung out to be succesful as a RB. 6'0 and 200? that's a lightweight. He's wideout sized but he doesn't run routes like a WR or have the natural hands of a WR.

he also runs way way too upright. that's why he's so damn fast, but he also gets wrecked so many times because he's asking for a big hit.

Well, he must be doing something right if he's always around 80 catches a season. His rookie season, he was on pace for 100 catches 3/4 of the way through the season.

There are obviously pros and cons to having a guy like Reggie. Yes he can be explosive and add an element of surprise. But I agree with the earlier poster that often times an offense will try to force the ball to a guy like that and a good defense, like ours, will shut a guy like that down. I just think a more traditional set up suits a team like ours, in a division like ours, better.

Thats great and all, the punt returns i mean. But Bush cant control a game like CP.

Yea the guy had two touchdowns and more yards that portis did.

He cant sustain an offense. He cant end games in teh 4th like CP.

He is not all that valuable in my eyes and i hate his hype because he isnt that good of a player. Technically gifted? hell yes! Good RB? Hell no. The saints need a running back, not a glorified punt returner.

when they say the top two running backs going at it here on monday night football.. i was not pleased .. bush is over rated. my friend was debating with me saying he was tops as well. i was like you trippen. hes said put down the haterade.. i said there is LT, peterson, portis, gore, westbrook, addai, barber, lynch, turner, jacobs etc. that is above bush, so when they put bush on the spotlight as the top two rbs in the leagues i just nodd my head.. they could of said it like this the leagues top rb vs the top punt returner i would agree. anyways, my friend knows not much about football so i can care less what he thinks.. as for about a reggie bush on our team? NOPE.. we have one. its santana moss. he could break it, but then we'd risk injury. hes too valuable. maybe if we are desperate for a win like how saint are, then yea. lets put him in......on offense, the way bush runs when he gets the ball handed off to, is annoying.... trying to shake and bake like hes in college and 70 percent of the defenders runs a 4.8 or something. cant do that in the nfl bush. so having him on the redskins and rooting for a guy to run left, back right, shake and baking and losing yards, ill pass, better yet, a run........ by portis

Now, obviously these types of players are hard to come by, but after watching how he changed the MNF game in a couple minutes, I was thinking that that type of player would take our offense from very good to unstoppable. We obviously have some need positions, but if we ever have a luxury pick, I think it would be nice to spend it on someone like Reggie Bush, Chris Johnson, or Maurice Jones-Drew: someone who can affect the passing game, run game, and return game.

Edit: For those quick to judge, I'm suggesting that we supplement CP with a Bush-type player, not replace him completely.

Bush has virtually no impact in the running game.

We could use Portis/Betts in the passing game.

Bush punt returns were pretty sick :applause:

Reggie Bush wouldn't survive as a RB in the NFC East. The guy is a WR who lines up in the backfield. If he is a true RB then why is he leading the NFL in receptions.

Cause he cant handle the abuse a straight up RB takes during a season.

He can definitely return punts though

God knows we need an explosive runningback who averages 3.6 yards per carry and whose longest run EVER is 26 yards (portis has had a run longer than this every single year he's been in the league). He's an over-rated primadonna. You see him pouting last year? I don't want that on our team.

As for his high number of catches. Let's just say drew brees is the perfect qb for him. Plus catching a ton of screens and passes to the flats does not mean you run great routes or have great hands. He gets twice the targets of the next closest rb and doesn't have to make tough catches. He actually has a fairly low catch rate for a runningback.

Now, if you mean a chris johnson like player, yeah, that would be great!

people give him crap cause he cant run between the tackles and he cant... but he can do almost everything else pretty well. Receiving hes pretty good, outside runs he can do, and his return game is top notch. Yeah he doesnt get a whole lot of rushing yards, but he had almost 300 yards (combined) last night. If you dont think Reggie Bush can be a potent weapon, youre hating. Im just not sure he could be a primary weapon or just a compliment in the arsenal.

Yes, but that wasn't his fault. He had 93 yard from the line of scrimmage, around 150 return yards, and 2 TDs. I think he did about all he could.

And yes, he does have his faults as a runner, but that's unique to him. Look at what Chris Johnson has done this season. He has comparable numbers and completely changes how the defense looks at the Tennessee offense.

Chris Johnson and Reggie Bush are different types of atheletes. ( Albeit both are good at what they do)

Bush is more of a guy you need to get the ball in space where Johnson fits the traditional RB mold a bit better.

Reggie is probably a better pass catching threat and obviously a better returner, but Johnson is a guy that you can use to eat up the clock and move the chains.

don't get me wrong, I like both guys, but they have different roles.

Well, he must be doing something right if he's always around 80 catches a season. His rookie season, he was on pace for 100 catches 3/4 of the way through the season.

Fine and dandy for a WR, but he's a Running Back. He'll break a big play if a complementary player has softened up the opposing D a bit, but he isn't capable of taking control of games the way a RB should. It would be a stupid investment to pay him the kind of money he makes for basically being a great ST player and a change-of-pace back, regardless how talented he was.

The voice of reason from a poster with 8 posts.

Listen, the OP isn't saying we need Reggie Bush. His point is having a player like Devin Hester, Chris Johnson, Reggie Bush, Roscoe Parrish, Steve Slaton, or Desean Jackson is nothing but an advantage. These types of players are not every down guys but when they're in the game on offense the defense MUST account for them. On special teams we all know what they can do, simply because they have pure speed. The Redskins acquired ARE in part because of his PR ability. How did that work out for us?

These speedster/elusive types are a new trend in the NFL and they are here to stay. So don't be surprised if within the next two years we select a guy who returned punts in college and can run a sub 4.35 40.

Archived