Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What would our offense look like with Reggie Bush-type player?

Touchdown Redskins

Now, obviously these types of players are hard to come by, but after watching how he changed the MNF game in a couple minutes, I was thinking that that type of player would take our offense from very good to unstoppable. We obviously have some need positions, but if we ever have a luxury pick, I think it would be nice to spend it on someone like Reggie Bush, Chris Johnson, or Maurice Jones-Drew: someone who can affect the passing game, run game, and return game.

Edit: For those quick to judge, I'm suggesting that we supplement CP with a Bush-type player, not replace him completely.

Now, obviously these types of players are hard to come by, but after watching how he changed the MNF game in a couple minutes, I was thinking that that type of player would take our offense from very good to unstoppable. We obviously have some need positions, but if we ever have a luxury pick, I think it would be nice to spend it on someone like Reggie Bush, Chris Johnson, or Maurice Jones-Drew: someone who can affect the passing game, run game, and return game.

Players like that not only are rare but they are a luxury pick when it comes to the draft. This team has not kept enough of its draft picks nor has it had the overall talent depth to select a guy like Jones-Drew in the 2nd round (where we took Rocky McIntosh) or the need to draft a hybrid player like Bush with a high 1st round pick.

Luxuries like that can be had and found when an organization has a whole starts keeping its picks, drafts for depth and drafts talent versus promise. We are getting there.

if he is soooooo good how did the saints end up in that game

sorry give me someone that can run between the tackles, give me portis, and then give me some DL :)

Yes, but that wasn't his fault. He had 93 yard from the line of scrimmage, around 150 return yards, and 2 TDs. I think he did about all he could.

And yes, he does have his faults as a runner, but that's unique to him. Look at what Chris Johnson has done this season. He has comparable numbers and completely changes how the defense looks at the Tennessee offense.

Yes, but that wasn't his fault. He had 93 yard from the line of scrimmage, around 150 return yards, and 2 TDs. I think he did about all he could.

And yes, he does have his faults as a runner, but that's unique to him. Look at what Chris Johnson has done this season. He has comparable numbers and completely changes how the defense looks at the Tennessee offense.

name me a recent superbowl winning team with a player like that............

you can't, and there is a reason :)

We play on grass so a Reggie Bush type player would not be as good here as he is in New Orleans running on turf. Either way CP is the man and is my favorite Redskin so I wouldnt want Reggie Bush even if we could get him for a 4th round draft choice!

name me a recent superbowl winning team with a player like that............

you can't, and there is a reason :)

Actually the Patriots have done it with Kevin Faulk (although he played a lesser role). Also, the Rams did it with Marshall Faulk (although he played a greater role). The Raiders reached the Superbowl with a similar talent in Charlie Garner. The Saints were in the NFC Championship game in Reggie Bush's first season, and he scored on one of the longest plays in NFC Championship history.

Reggie had 29 yards rushing in that game.

CP has 266 over the past two games.

I'm not suggesting that Reggie Bush replace CP, I'm suggesting that he supplement him. Something akin to what the Jaguars do with MJD and Fred Taylor or what the Saints do with Reggie Bush and Deuce McAllister.

I wonder why the Saints aren't dominant year in and year out with "great" players like Reggie Bush...:doh::doh::doh:

A lot of people might say that the NFL has become more of a finesse, pass first type of league but each year the Superbowl winners are more often than not, teams that can run between the tackles and can stop the run. The game is still very physical and players like Bush who dance around to avoid being hit are only a T.V. ratings boost IMO.

I wonder why the Saints aren't dominant year in and year out with "great" players like Reggie Bush...:doh::doh::doh:

That's understandable, but I'm not suggesting someone like him become our primary RB. Obviously CP would be our primary RB, but a Bush-type player would supplement him. And if you look at the Saints the past three years, they've been one of the best offenses consistently. It's because their defense is horrible that they're not dominant.

I agree that I like that type of player & seeing someone like that here would be interesting. I would not want Reggie Bush here, specifically. After watching parts of tonights game, it appears he has a hard time holding onto the ball.

EDIT: If we did have someone like that, he would be the reincarnation of Mike Nelms, & that's all he would do. Punts & kickoffs.

I mean I can see how a player like Reggie Bush would really open up our special teams...i see your point there. BUT, we have two players pretty much like him already and their names are Moss and Randle El. I mean look at the ability we have in El to run a reverse like he did against Philly just to toss a TD (btw most of his passes have gone for TDs) which is something I never see Bush do. Also, if we can get one of our tall rookie receivers really playing well Randle would benefit from being moved to the slot. Moss IMO is just as dynamic as Bush if not more, he has the speed, elusiveness and football smarts. Between CP, Betts and Sellers our backfield is one of the strongest in the NFL and I just don't see a Reggie Bush type player making a big impact.

Personally think Reggie Bush is WAY over hyped as a running back.

He's an OUTSTANDING return man, of that there's NO debate, but he's FAR from a top echelon RB. He's a good catcher out of the back field, with nice moves after the catch, certainly no Westbrook, but as a straight up back?..... there's a LOT more backs I'd take before him in this league.

Now, if we could get him as a pure return man..... you did say this was a luxury/fantasy pick right?

Hail.

Mainly because teams like the Saints put all their eggs in very few baskets. How many weapons do the Saints REALLY have of Reggie Bush's calibur?

I mean I can see how a player like Reggie Bush would really open up our special teams...i see your point there. BUT, we have two players pretty much like him already and their names are Moss and Randle El. I mean look at the ability we have in El to run a reverse like he did against Philly just to toss a TD (btw most of his passes have gone for TDs) which is something I never see Bush do. Also, if we can get one of our tall rookie receivers really playing well Randle would benefit from being moved to the slot. Moss IMO is just as dynamic as Bush if not more, he has the speed, elusiveness and football smarts. Between CP, Betts and Sellers our backfield is one of the strongest in the NFL and I just don't see a Reggie Bush type player making a big impact.

Well, I would mostly want to replace Betts in our current system. Betts is essentially cut from the same mold as Portis, and he doesn't really bring anything else to the system except for fresh legs. Now, don't get me wrong, I love Betts's contributions, but having someone who is a homerun hitter in our backfield could open things up for Moss and Randle El. It's somewhat like having a tight end like Antonio Gates on the field: if you try to cover Bush with a linebacker, he'll burn you long, and if you try to cover him with a safety or corner, he'll run over you (okay, well not in Bush's case, but in Chris Johnson's case he would).

Oh and I think Drew Brees has more to do with the Saints offense being much better these past 3 years than Reggie Bush has. You can't ignore Deuce and Colston's talents as well.

That's true, too. They do have a lot of talent there, and I think Drew Brees should win MVP. But there's no denying that Reggie Bush getting all those short passes opens up the run and the pass, because so many people are worried about Reggie Bush catching a short 5-yarder and taking it too the house.

Archived