Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How about a little praise for Jansens play? (merged)

Passizle

I usually dont start too many threads... and I have waited all week for someone to start one, but have not seen anything about it.

I though I would start this little (probably soon to be dead) thread to discuss the O-line play in Dallas... and to show a little respect to the guy that EVERYONE thought was done. I hope for some good feedback as my knowledge of the game is okay, but not up to what some other members provide... please feel free to chime in at any time :)

After watching the replay on NFL network, the O-line did a spectacular job in pass protection and I noticed that some of the longer runs from Portis were on Jansens side. I though he did an EXCELLENT job against the Dallas pass rush and I am VERY glad to have him as a backup. IMO... we have two "starter quality" linemen with Jansen and Heyer. Could be a great rotation come December. Keep the guys fresh for a playoff run.

Toughts? Comments?

Agreed, Jon played very well. I hope he continues to start... and Stephon continues to back him up and watch.

I have no doubt that Stephon will be a very solid long term solution on the line, but at the moment I feel much more comfortable with Jansen starting. Particularly this week - Philly's blitz schemes would likely eat Heyer alive.

I dont know Heyer's play drive....but Jansen is a monster. He is getting old but one thing he will give you is non stop fire. Its no secret some of the long runs were on his side. I think Heyer has shown to be better in pass protection (most of the time) but Jansen is the better run blocker. I love seeing Jansen out there. I never thought he was done either.

I don't know what game you were watching but on most passing downs Jansen was getting pushed 5 yards into the backfield which forced Campbell to move. On both long bombs to Moss we would've had a TD but Jansen was getting pushed right into JC which forced him to throw without setting his feet.

I don't know what game you were watching but on most passing downs Jansen was getting pushed 5 yards into the backfield which forced Campbell to move. On both long bombs to Moss we would've had a TD but Jansen was getting pushed right into JC which forced him to throw without setting his feet.

from what i've been told Jansen does struggle with pass protection, but is much better than Heyer in run blocking.

I was wathcing the same game you were. On that play, Jansen was getting pushed back, yes... but thats what you are supposed to do in pass protection, hence the QB's responsability to step up. He had room, but not enough arm on it... as it was, it was a 53 yarder... On the other, Moss was on his way OB.

What game were you watching? JC wasnot pressured all that much.

There are very few positions on very few teams where an injury only means you lose depth. When Heyer wasn't going to play, honestly, I didn't care a bit. Plug in Jon and you're done.

Man, depth is nice, ain't it? They're interchangeable at worst, if you ask me. I wonder how much the decision to go with Heyer is simply age.

Yeah but on run plays, Jansen wsa a beast, we actually ran it to the right consistently

What? :doh: When do you see an OLinemen not back up on Pass protection? It's called a "Pocket", and when it starts to collapse ( hopefully from the sides ), the QB steps up and throws the ball or runs with it. The entire OLine played very well on Sunday, including Jansen. The only trouble they had was ealry on with a few stunts the Cowboys were pulling to confuse the back blocker. After that, adjustments were made it seemed to work very nicely imo. :2cents:

I thought Jansen was done. So far, it looks like I'm wrong though. I think his problem was that he felt that he was entitled and pretty much a lock to be the starter- he has the longest tenure here, big contract, fan favorite, etc.

IMO, if Gibbs were still here, Jansen would've start from the get go and would be looking like the Jansen of preseason. I think Zorn coming in and benching Jansen lit a fire under his ass and he is out to prove Zorn wrong. Here's hoping that he continues to do so, because while not quite the pass blocker Heyer is, Jansen is still a pretty damn good run blocker.

Jansen is doing what he is suppose to do, and what he is paid to do. Good job?

So are all the guys who perform. I'm not sure why people get bugs up their behinds about certain players. Hell, it's like the geniuses who based Samuels over the years, meanwhile of the elite group of tackles from 5 years ago, he's the only one still standing and has been the best LT in the game if you look over the entirety of his time in the NFL.

Jansen isn't on that level and he's had some unfortunate dings but I don't see why some people have to be so negative about the dude.

Sometimes it takes losing their job to reignite a player and that's exactly what appears to have happened to Jansen. I'm not saying that he's the sole or main reason. but if it ain't broke don't fix it. Our offense is as balanced as you can possibly be right now and holes are opening on both sides of the line.

Sometimes it takes losing their job to reignite a player and that's exactly what appears to have happened to Jansen. I'm not saying that he's the sole or main reason. but if it ain't broke don't fix it. Our offense is as balanced as you can possibly be right now and holes are opening on both sides of the line.

agreed, Jansen is back...to the old jansen we all know and love!!

Archived