Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pft - the post responds to cerrato’s accusation

HapHaszard

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/22/the-post-responds-to-cerratos-accusation/

The pissing match between the Washington Post and the Washington Redskins continues.

The Post has responded to the accusation of Executive V.P. Vinny Cerrato that Jason La Canfora had accused the Redskins of tampering based on comments made by Cerrato on Friday regarding Raiders coach Lane Kifffin.

“Jason did not ‘charge’ anyone with anything,” Emilio Garcia-Ruiz said in a post that was posted on the web site of the Post. “He called the NFL’s public relations staff last week to ask how the league’s anti-tampering rules would come into play if Vinny Cerrato answered a question during his new radio show about a player or coach under contract to another team. Sports radio hosts are often asked these sorts of questions, and we were curious whether Cerrato would be limited in the way he could respond by virtue of his position as a team GM.

“Jason did not make any sort of complaint whatsoever. (In fact, reporters cannot charge teams with violations of NFL rules. Only other teams can file charges like tampering.) He referred to Cerrato’s questions about Raiders coach Lane Kiffin only to provide context for the question he was asking. He did not write about the issue.

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

If you accept that spin, it was a legit question. Hopefully, it was one for which Vinny already knew the answer.

How is it a legit question? On what planet could Vinny's question about Kiffin be construed as tampering? It wasn't even close to tampering.

Even the league seemed to get a good chuckle out of JLC's absurd question. All he had to do was open the rulebook. To me, this smacks of malice.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/09/22/the-post-responds-to-cerratos-accusation/

“Jason did not make any sort of complaint whatsoever. (In fact, reporters cannot charge teams with violations of NFL rules. Only other teams can file charges like tampering.) He referred to Cerrato’s questions about Raiders coach Lane Kiffin only to provide context for the question he was asking. He did not write about the issue.

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

no kidding JLC can't charge Vinny, BUT... He can bring it to the attention of the people that CAN charge Vinny... and that is what he did...:mad:

Yes. Fire JLC and anyone else that says anything that can be construed even remotely bad about the Skins. Snyder can then start a local newspaper that can be nicely woven into the Redskins Sunshine Network.

Well he does have Redskins.com TV and this message board. I think I've heard him say that print media is a thing of the past, so I don't see him starting his own newspaper. If the internet wasn't a legitimate source of information he probably wouldl Either that or at least buy the Washington City Paper or some suburban low hanging fruit of a paper and turn it into the exclusive media source of the Washington Redskins.

Even the authors at PFT know whats going on:

That said, there’s a chance that La Canfora was playing the passive-aggressive game here, mentioning the Kiffin situation and pretending not to know that the rule clearly permits general discourse about players and coaches from other teams in order to kick up a dust storm that generally would make the Redskins look foolish for putting Cerrato in a situation that could invite accusations of wrongdoing.

And in saying that, we’re not defending Cerrato. We’ve criticized him over the years as much as anyone. But we know a little indirect poop-stirring when we see it, and we think that there’s a chance La Canfora made the inquiry hoping that it would get back to Cerrato, and strike a nerve.

Yes. Fire JLC and anyone else that says anything that can be construed even remotely bad about the Skins. Snyder can then start a local newspaper that can be nicely woven into the Redskins Sunshine Network.

What a dumb thing to say.

There's always one

What a dumb thing to say.

There's always one

What was dumb about it? I've heard countless times since this story came out tha JLC should be fired and that his credentials should be taken away. My post was in response to those opinions.

Yet, everyone flaming him over this issue are guilty of exactly what they are usually so mad at JLC about...taking something that was said by an unnamed or hostile source and putting it out there as truth.

What was dumb about it? I've heard countless times since this story came out tha JLC should be fired and that his credentials should be taken away. My post was in response to those opinions.

Yet, everyone flaming him over this issue are guilty of exactly what they are usually so mad at JLC about...taking something that was said by an unnamed or hostile source and putting it out there as truth.

1- Who or what your post was made in response to doesn't make it any less dumb

2- I find it incredibly ironic that a JLC homer would accuse others of citing unnamed sources. You couldn't dream up irony that thick

3- It came from the NFL

I think if it was just an innocent little question the NFL wouldn't have contacted the Redskins about it.

Yes.

Huh? The Post isn't even disputing that the event took place. And even the Post's own version of events still makes them look like idiots.

JLC is a tool, has always been a tool, and always will be a tool.

If the team does decide to review his press credentials, they should wait until the off season. There is no need to give this drama queen and his girlfriends at the post too much attention now, it will only distract from the play on the field and I'm sure the post would make sure of it.

1- Who or what your post was made in response to doesn't make it any less dumb

Thanks for the constructive criticism. I'll work on it.

- I find it incredibly ironic that a JLC homer would accuse others of citing unnamed sources. You couldn't dream up irony that thick

I'd love to see some posts that would label me a 'JLC homer'. I haven't even defended him in THIS one. JLC is the king of using unnamed sources for negative quotes. Besides, in my earlier post I did say 'hostile' sources.

3- It came from the NFL

I was basing it on this: "The Post has responded to the accusation of Executive V.P. Vinny Cerrato that Jason La Canfora had accused the Redskins of tampering". If that's wrong, then I withdraw my remark.

When all this started with the Washington Post, even before Snyder took away their season tickets.... I cancelled the Washington Post. Now i go on the Internet for my periodicals, and I publically voice my distaste for the Washington Post. It has been a couple years sinse I have been able to stand the Wash Post coverage of the Redskins. Im waiting for them to bring Sally Jenkins in to replace JLC.

Archived