Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins Insider: A Note from the Sports Editor

Jino

Then there's no story.

I can't tell if you're playing Devil's Advocate or you really see no problem with a beat reporter trying to snitch on the team he covers to the NFL.

I'm seriously struggling to understand the mental gymnastics one must conduct to feel that JLC has a leg to stand on in this matter. :2cents:

As I said in the other thread, this changes NOTHING. The call to the league using a specific incident in the guise of a question is no different than attempting to charge the team with tampering. He still brought it to the attention of the league when the call NEVER should have been made.

The editor is doing nothing but splitting hairs.

I agree with this. And the league's response, "Jason has been told that there is no general prohibition against publicly talking about another team's players or staff. It routinely occurs throughout the league.", covers things pretty well. It's more than likely common knowledge. There does seem to be something "off" here. I question the motivation behind the call if nothing else.

Yeah, that explanation doesn't fly at all. The point isn't that JLC 'charged' the Redskins with anything. The point is he brought an item to the attention of the league, and the item wasn't even legit.

Sure looks like he was waiting for his first opportunity to try and sting Vinny, but it blew up in his face. If you're gonna pull a stunt like this, you better at least make sure you've got the goods.

I agree with this. And the league's response, "Jason has been told that there is no general prohibition against publicly talking about another team's players or staff. It routinely occurs throughout the league.", covers things pretty well. It's more than likely common knowledge. There does seem to be something "off" here. I question the motivation behind the call if nothing else.

There's nothing to question, the motivation behind the call is clear.

JLC is a bright guy. He knows what is and isn't tampering. Hell, he's written a lot about the Skins possibly tampering in the past, so he's obviously up on the rules, and common sense tells him that it wasn't tampering. Otherwise coaches' shows, Sirius NFL, ESPN Radio, all local NFL radio shows, etc. would be out of business.

Given he knows it wasn't tampering, and given his well-documented pissing match with Cerrato, it's clear why he made the call.

If JLC were "bright", he would have typed his inquiry into Google and figured it out on his own. There was no reason to call the league office and ask a stupid question.

Given this incident, along with his preseason Malcom Kelly-PUP list fiasco, it's pretty clear that Jason has a very tenuous grasp of the actual rules. I guarantee you that he didn't know that bit about other teams being the only ones who can charge tampering before he placed that call.

Sounds like he was behaving like a good "reporter" (a very different job than being a "fan").

Right, I call the local sheriff and report that I just saw OWUeagleMD toolin' down the road doing 46mph in a 45mph zone, lane jerking in his Superfly Civic while yacking on a cellphone..... is any of this illigal?

Or I call the sheriff to ask if using a cellphone while driving or lane jerking is against the law.

Considering that your actions were found to be OK, which call is better for you?

If JLC were "bright", he would have typed his inquiry into Google and figured it out on his own. There was no reason to call the league office and ask a stupid question.

Given this incident, along with his preseason Malcom Kelly-PUP list fiasco, it's pretty clear that Jason has a very tenuous grasp of the actual rules. I guarantee you that he didn't know that bit about other teams being the only ones who can charge tampering before he placed that call.

JLC knew what the rules were. He called with an ulterior motive, and it certainly wasn't to get the answer to a question that he already knew the answer to.

The saddest part about the editor's response is that he is trying to spin the story to buy himself (and JLC) time, thinking this will blow over. He obviously has no grasp on history and how to handle a public relations disaster. He should have just come out and said JLC screwed up, he's been disciplined, and the Post apologizes for his behavior. Instead, he tries to weasle his way out of this mess. He should be fired along with JLC for being so dumb and using a time tested tactic in how not to handle a PR disaster!

Yeah, usually he asks one of his "league sources". :rolleyes:

I do scratch my head over this one, since it seems to be well known that tampering charges only come to pass when discussing about acquiring players or coaches who are under contract. So, is this ignorance or is it malicious on JLC's part? Either way, it doesn't look good for him.

Jason

Archived