Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Redskins Insider: A Note from the Sports Editor

Jino

JLC knew what the rules were. He called with an ulterior motive, and it certainly wasn't to get the answer to a question that he already knew the answer to.

Yes, he had an ulterior motive. Duh. I didn't insinuate any differently.

But unless his ulterior motive was to completely humiliate himself and ruin his credibility, your slightly altered version of events makes no sense. If he understood the rule, he would have known that Vinny hadn't violated it and that bringing it up to the league would have been pointless and had a good chance of backfiring on him. Which it did.

No. He didn't understand the rule. He thought he did, just like he thought he understood the PUP list rule. He thought Vinny had done something for which he could get in trouble and he called the league office hoping to bust him and have a story.

There are two options here. JLC is either profoundly stupid, or both profoundly stupid AND profoundly conniving. I'm going with the latter.

"Jason LaCanfora called our office and said that Vinny Cerrato was talking in specifics on his radio show about the Raiders' coaching position. Jason wanted to know if that could possibly be a tampering issue. Jason has been told that there is no general prohibition against publicly talking about another team's players or staff. It routinely occurs throughout the league."

The quote from the NFL says it all. JLC was fishing for a way to get the Skins in trouble. Do you think if the NFL told him there was a problem with Vinny talking about Kiffen that he wouldn't be twisting his nipples in ecstasy as his story went to press? His job is to cover the team not fish for ways to throw a monkey wrench into things, let alone with glee. This just comes off as really desperate and creepy.

JLC knows the rules, he wasn't looking for a clarification. He also knows that his calls won't get the Skins in trouble since there's no violation. What Jason was looking for was a statement, something like "we're aware that Vinny Cerrato has begun a radio program. The league office will monitor his broadcast just like it monitors the other team officials' media content." That would give him the chance to go with an article something like "NFL closely monitoring Cerrato radio show". Why bother digging for column content when you can manufacture some?

I don't think I've ever seen such a pathetic gathering of adults acting like such children crying about "JLC tattled!" The solution is simply avoid the Washington Post if you don't like what he writes, says or does and stick to listening to Larry Michael to get all the Skins marketing spin on everything. Me, I prefer to hear the good and the bad and am smart enough to filter out what is obviously agenda on both sides of the spectrum and know that the truth is somewhere in the middle. As long as Cerrato understands the rules and doesn't break them, I have nothing to worry about regardless of what JLC does.

I realize my opinion probably makes me a traitor, a hater and probably a 'closeted Cowboys fan' in some of your eyes. But, obviously I care about those people's opinions as much as they care to hear anything about the Redskins that is even slightly negative no matter how truthful it may be.

But unless his ulterior motive was to completely humiliate himself and ruin his credibility, your slightly altered version of events makes no sense. If he understood the rule, he would have known that Vinny hadn't violated it and that bringing it up to the league would have been pointless and had a good chance of backfiring on him. Which it did.

No. He didn't understand the rule. He thought he did, just like he thought he understood the PUP list rule. He thought Vinny had done something for which he could get in trouble and he called the league office hoping to bust him and have a story.

There are two options here. JLC is either profoundly stupid, or both profoundly stupid AND profoundly conniving. I'm going with the latter.

I'm with you. If he truly understood the rule there would be no benefit to calling the league office. He was being the sycophant, teacher's-pet wannabe trying to get another kid in trouble.

"Ms. Smith, Vinny's playing kickball at recess." - Lil Snotty Jason

"Well, Jason, it's okay to play kickball at recess." - Ms. Smith

"Oh..." - Lil Snotty Jason, disappointment dripping from his voice

(Other kids enter the room)

"Did you really try to get Vinny in trouble for playing kickball, you little rat?!?" - Other kids

"No I just asked if it was okay to play kickball at recess." - Lil Snotty Jason

Right, I call the local sheriff and report that I just saw OWUeagleMD toolin' down the road doing 46mph in a 45mph zone, lane jerking in his Superfly Civic while yacking on a cellphone..... is any of this illigal?

Or I call the sheriff to ask if using a cellphone while driving or lane jerking is against the law.

Considering that your actions were found to be OK, which call is better for you?

If you were a reporter and I was a public figure then you would have just constructed an acceptable analogy.

Since neither of those things is the case, you wasted your time.

It doesn't matter if he charged tampering or whatever. The fact of the matter is... he's a effin' traitor who does not belong covering our beloved Redskins. There simply is no reason to retain him at the Post. At least give us someone who doesn't hate our team. Is that too much to ask?
There is no other way to look at this. I'm not crazy about Vinny either, but I want him to get better, not see our team penalized.

If you are wondering if something your friend or acquaintance might do is illegal, you don't go to the cops naming names to find out. Run this F***er out of town.

So that post there basically proves that the Post supports JLC 100%. Basically they lied about what he called them about. Its no coincidence a dishonest writer is working there.

I see this as the larger issue here, not that JLC **** his pants in public (again) but that the WP is backing him up on it, tacitly approving of the attempt.

How much longer is this grade school slapfight going to continue? Someone COULD choose to take the high road and simply refuse to play this childish game. The Skins are not going to be hurt by anything the Post can do, they could score some brownie points by simply letting this drop and ignoring such things in the future, claiming to be above it all, "We have more important things to spend our time on", etc. The fans will surely dive on each and every little slip made by JLC and his ilk, so they won't have free rein to have tantrums and hold their breath 'til they turn blue but the organization could distance themselves from it.

But I would be willing to bet the the Post's attitude would turn 180° if they were getting a bunch of free seats again.......

This is really a disgusting post, as are the ones threatening LaCanfora with physical violence. Disgusting.

Agreed. It doesn't affect my personal life one way or the other. I'm kind of surprised that people are taking it so personal. Who cares? It's such a non-story and a non-starter that people are getting way too worked up over this. As I've said before, it doesn't affect the play on the field one iota. Even the league said it's a non-issue, so quit worrying about it.

I didn't write this, but this is a reader response to this mess on PFT:

"This all started when Snyder bought the team. Like any legitimate news source the Post had positive and negative news about them. Snyder surrounds himself with syncophants and yes men and can’t stand to hear a negative word so he stripped the Post of a ton of season tickets. The Post retaliates be becoming even more negative. Snyder retaliates by giving press passes to people from a message board he bought who cheer from the press box as people are trying to do their job, the Post gets even more negative in both the paper and online, Snyder buys all the radio stations in the DC market to counter with “good” press about his team….

This is only going to get uglier."

I didn't write this, but this is a reader response to this mess on PFT:

"This all started when Snyder bought the team. Like any legitimate news source the Post had positive and negative news about them. Snyder surrounds himself with syncophants and yes men and can’t stand to hear a negative word so he stripped the Post of a ton of season tickets. The Post retaliates be becoming even more negative. Snyder retaliates by giving press passes to people from a message board he bought who cheer from the press box as people are trying to do their job, the Post gets even more negative in both the paper and online, Snyder buys all the radio stations in the DC market to counter with “good” press about his team….

This is only going to get uglier."

Sounds like Dave McKenna's handiwork. :rolleyes:

Archived