Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vikings finally bail on T. Jackson (Merged)

KevinthePRF

Punchless Vikings ditch Jackson, turn to Frerotte as starter

By John Clayton

The Minnesota Vikings, with an 0-2 start to the season, are turning to veteran Gus Frerotte to bring them out of the hole.

No coach had more faith in his quarterback than coach Brad Childress had in Tarvaris Jackson, who has had 14 career starts. But Childress named Frerotte the starter for the remainder of the season, announcing the decision at his Wednesday media availability.

Jackson was 8-4 as a starter last season, even though he completed only 58.2 percent of his passes and had a 70.8 quarterback rating.

This season started even slower for Jackson. He completed only 30 of 59 passes for 308 yards in two games, in an offense that is ranked 24th in the league in passing despite a strong running game from Adrian Peterson.

Jackson has been playing with a sprained medial collateral ligament in his knee, an injury that forced him at times to wear a brace. Vikings fans booed him throughout Sunday's 18-15 loss to the Indianapolis Colts when the Vikings, despite a 160-yard rushing day by Peterson, had to settle for five field goals.

With a tough home game coming up against the Carolina Panthers, Childress decided to go with the strong-armed Frerotte. The 37-year-old Frerotte is in his 15th season, and spent the past two seasons as a backup in St. Louis.

Frerotte has been with seven teams, but this is his second tour with the Vikings, having spent 2004 and 2005 in Minnesota.

Frerotte has completed 54.2 percent of his passes during his career for 19,134 yards and a 74.3 quarterback rating. He's 37-44-1 as a starter.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Hope he doesn't "celebrate" w/the concrete wall while there..lmao..sorry couldn't resist.

Everytime I see Frerotte I have that mental image in my head.

My prediction is that he'll (Jackson) be cut by the beginning of next season. His cap #'s are reasonable enough to do so.

7/26/2006: Signed a four-year, $2.9 million contract. The deal included a $1.1 million signing bonus. 2008: $445,000, 2009: $530,000, 2010: Free Agent

Wouldn't be surprised if they don't go after Garcia next year and draft a WCO QB in the 1st round.

Gus Frerotte is really an amazing story. The kneejerk reaction to seeing his name is to bring up the heatbutt incident, but he had some decent starts for the Redskins as a fallback option when it became clear that Heath Shuler couldn't play in the NFL. He actually made the Pro Bowl as a Redskin in 1996.

He's managed to carve out a 15 year career as an NFL quarterback from the humble beginnings as a 7th round afterthought.

He's started at quarterback for 7 different NFL teams:

Redskins

Lions

Broncos

Bengals

Vikings

Dolphins

Rams

Has any other quarterback in NFL history STARTED for 7 different NFL teams?!?!?

I mentioned this in the ATN thread, but it bears repeating. Gus Frerotte is really an amazing story.

Frerotte has STARTED for SEVEN different NFL teams. Has any other quarterback in NFL history started for more than 7 NFL teams?

The kneejerk reaction to seeing his name is to bring up the heatbutt incident, but he had some decent starts for the Redskins as a fallback option when it became clear that Heath Shuler couldn't play in the NFL. He actually made the Pro Bowl as a Redskin in 1996.

He's managed to carve out a 15 year career as an NFL quarterback from the humble beginnings as a 7th round afterthought.

Here are the 7 different NFL teams he's started for:

Redskins

Lions

Broncos

Bengals

Vikings

Dolphins

Rams

So a challenge to you. Name another quarterback in NFL history who STARTED for 7 or more different NFL teams. I can't think of any.

Has any other quarterback in NFL history STARTED for 7 different NFL teams?!?!?

Is that something to be proud of? What that says is that you were either good enough for teams to keep taking chances on you but not good enough to stick around (Jeff George) or you were never the first option and were brought in to take over for whoever was supposed to be the man (Gus Frerotte).

Jason

Archived