Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

has fantasy football changed the NFL?

the burgundy and gold

“There are no true fans anymore. . . . If I lost a game . . . no Denver [broncos] fan was mad because I lost, but happy because I threw three TDs” -Jake Plummer

I do think it's created more of another type of fan. Someone who doesn't follow the team as much as individual players. This I think is more prevalent in other sports, like the NBA because more individuals are highlighted than a relatively few nationally well-known NFL stars. Plus, football doesn't have the same player on the field for the entire game. There is offense, defense, special teams, with starters and role players contributing directly to the play on the field.

However, it hasn't had an impact of the game itself. Maybe in the following to expand/shift some focus from diehard supporters of teams to individual player fans.

Plummer may have said that, but it's completely ridiculous.

Now, there may be a FEW casual fans who only care about their fantasy teams, but I know the majority of ESers, and most other "real"

fans, are just like me. After we've been to a game, it takes until Wednesday or Thursday to get our voices back completely.

And that's because football is one of the few sports that allows you the opportunity to truly help your team. When 91,704 are screaming simultaneously at the top of our lungs, we can prevent audibles from being called, or force time outs or false starts.

Trust me. My voice will be obliterated by the Cardinals game on Sunday. And it won't because I spent the day yelling, "Come on Boldin! You're on my fantasy team!"

:)

Plummer may have said that, but it's completely ridiculous.

Now, there may be a FEW casual fans who only care about their fantasy teams, but I know the majority of ESers, and most other "real"

fans, are just like me. After we've been to a game, it takes until Wednesday or Thursday to get our voices back completely.

And that's because football is one of the few sports that allows you the opportunity to truly help your team. When 91,704 are screaming simultaneously at the top of our lungs, we can prevent audibles from being called, or force time outs or false starts.

Trust me. My voice will be obliterated by the Cardinals game on Sunday. And it won't because I spent the day yelling, "Come on Boldin! You're on my fantasy team!"

:)

I agree with you, and trust me i'm one of those fans who can't talk after the game. But you have to admit that fantasy football is changing the way some fans look at the game. And i doubt its only "casual" fans who are being influenced by their fantasy teams...

I agree with you, and trust me i'm one of those fans who can't talk after the game. But you have to admit that fantasy football is changing the way some fans look at the game. And i doubt its only "casual" fans who are being influenced by their fantasy teams...

I'm not questioning your fanhood at all.

My only point is that if the Skins get their azz kicked, there is no consolation for me. If someone on the other team has a big fantasy day for me, whoopty doo, that's great. But it doesn't take away from the sting of the loss at all.

Now, am I more likely to watch a game that I don't care about if there's a big fantasy impact for me? Quite possibly. But if anything, it just makes me more of a fan of the game in general, not a "different" fan. And it certainly doesn't change the NFL itself.

My only point is that if the Skins get their azz kicked, there is no consolation for me. If someone on the other team has a big fantasy day for me, whoopty doo, that's great. But it doesn't take away from the sting of the loss at all.

Same here. I would expect any fan to think this way but the sad thing is that many value their fantasy teams more than their fandom of a particular team.

Same here. I would expect any fan to think this way but the sad thing is that many value their fantasy teams more than their fandom of a particular team.

You may be right, HogNose, but those are the people I would call (and did call) "casual fans."

No "real" Browns fan is gonna be happy with Monday Night's game because Hines Ward scored a touchdown for them. No "real" Saints fan is gonna be happy because they had Santana Moss last week.

I agree that the casual fan may watch games because of their fantasy teams, but they're not "real" fans, IMO. And the answer to the thread question is still "no." That doesn't change the NFL, save for maybe a VERY small bump in ratings.

Yeah, I only think how some folks watch the game and some coverage of it, but I don't think it has changed the game itself. I am sure a lot of players are curious about their fantasy standings or their performance numbers, but, all-in-all, not much more then that, IMO.

My fantasy team winning makes me feel about .1% better if the Skins lose.

Now, I won't purposely bench guys against the Skins, but if they are gonna score...I may as well benefit (But they can certainly get shut out, which would make me happy)

Fantasy football makes me more interested in the other games. I don't care if it's Portis or Betts or Caveman punching it in from the 2 as long as they score, though I certainly would like it to be Portis for FFL reasons.

No.

(Well that was a fun thread. Now what?) ;)

:rotflmao:

I would say no as well. People still root for their teams and are die hard fans. However, it is odd to see skins fans rooting for Dallas players to do well because they are on their fantasy football team.

By the way, if you are knowledgeable about football fantasy football is complete luck and nothing else. I play but never for a lot of money. It is fun and can give you something to root for in games that you would otherwise not care about. That is why I play.

Last monday night in the 4th quarter when the Broncos were schooling the Raiders, I was on the edge of my seat...WHY...becuase my opponenet had Andre Hall and I was only up by 6 points. Hall had just given the Broncos a 1st and goal at the 10 yard line. I held on to win...but it's just an example of what fantasy football has done to ratings...

Fantasy Football has taken the NFL to the next level. It was already GREAT IMO...but seriously, it's because of FF that the NFL is going the direction it is now.

Why else would there be so many cell phones with up to date internet/stats geared at FF?

I LOVE IT!

Why else would there be so many cell phones with up to date internet/stats geared at FF?

does anyone know the name of the phone that has that feature? I keep seeing the commercial where the stadium like pops out of the phone, but i forget which company it is. Does anyone know the company and or the name of the phone?

Depends on what you mean by changed....

Has it changed the way the game is played on the field? No. Has it changed my feelings about division rivals or our weekly opponent? Hell no.

Has it changed just about everything else about the game? Absolutely.

This is my 15th year of playing fantasy football. The biggest change for me was it made me a much bigger fan of the NFL than I was before FF. Back in the day I would occasionally watch an AFC matchup because there was nothing better on. There was no one team for which I even had the slightest interest in from the AFC. The NFC, on the other hand, was another story. I lived for those games...especially the NFC East, of course.

Now, I'm more in tune with every team in the NFL. Fantasy football gives me a rooting interest in just about every game every weekend. In addition, I follow the off-season moves very closely - you need to know the impact a free agent might have on a team, or how a coaching change will impact offensive and defensive philosophies.

So it has made me a better fan of the game in general.

Without fantasy football, do you think I'm staying up late on a Sunday night to watch the two sub-par teams? Hell no. BUT, when my #3 WR is starting that night, you bet your ass I'm watching that game. That has to be good for the NFL.

Hell, without fantasy football I wouldn't even know who the starting TE is for the Jaguars, or who the backup QB for the Vikings is....:)

I don't think it has changed the game itself... the game changes on it's own and also changes fantasy football. Example, until last year the RB's of the league were the most coveted players, now WR's and QB's can put up numbers as good as RB's in most weeks.

It hasn't changed how I root for the Redskins. It has made me vastly more aware of the NFL world outside of my D.C. fanhood. While I certainly know much more about Redskins (from ES and Comcast) than the rest of the NFL, I also know the names of backup RB's for random teams like Arizona (Tim Hightower, anyone?). If anything, fantasy football has made me a better fan of the NFL. It hasn't changed how I think about my Redskins one bit.

I don't think it has changed the game itself... the game changes on it's own and also changes fantasy football. Example, until last year the RB's of the league were the most coveted players, now WR's and QB's can put up numbers as good as RB's in most weeks.

It hasn't changed how I root for the Redskins. It has made me vastly more aware of the NFL world outside of my D.C. fanhood. While I certainly know much more about Redskins (from ES and Comcast) than the rest of the NFL, I also know the names of backup RB's for random teams like Arizona (Mike Hightower, anyone?). If anything, fantasy football has made me a better fan of the NFL. It hasn't changed how I think about my Redskins one bit.

The last few posts basically nailed it as far as how it's expanded the interest in EVERY game and helped turn a lot of fans from being fans of the NFL as a whole in addition to their being fans of a certain team.

(BTW it's Tim Hightower lol . . . he used to give JMU fits when we played Richmond and I knew him in high school)

Archived