Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Norvitis surrenders 31 in the first half...

The extremist

I would be pissed as a Chargers fan. It's just ridiculous that an ill timed whistle can decide the outcome of a play that was obviously a mistake on the part of the ref.

"Tuck Rule".

Oh, and I think the Skins have seen, shall we be generous and say "their fair share" of "the play cannot be reviewed" calls, ourselves.

I wouldn't know what to do with myself if the Redskins lost the same way that the Chargers just did.

Uh, just going from gut memories, but I'd say I've seen a dozen cases where the Skins have recovered a funble, and the ball's been given back because of a whistle.

"Tuck Rule".

Oh, and I think the Skins have seen, shall we be generous and say "their fair share" of "the play cannot be reviewed" calls, ourselves.

Tuck rule? No, it was the same damn thing that nullified Moss's TD last week. Refs being too damn quick with the whistle.

The ruling was a fumble, but since the ref blew the whistle it was a dead ball. So bizarre.

That said, Chargers have nobody to blame but themselves. Two shots at stopping the Broncos and they couldn't do it.

At the time Hochuli blew his whistle, the Chargers defender had not recovered the ball. So the call was that it was a fumble, but the ball is dead at the time of the whistle, at which point the Broncos were the last team to have had possession.
Ah, thanks. There's no way to reverse that though?

Now, I've been proposing for years a change in the rules that I think might at least reduce things like this. My proposal:

Give every official an "electronic whistle". Ref pushes a button on his keychain remote, it makes a noise.

All the other whistles sound at the same time. One ref pushes the button, they all make noise.

And, require that the "electronic whistle" also put a mark of some kind on the TV screen.

Now, the play can be reviewed, and there's no question about whether the ball was recovered before the whistle.

It wouldn't put an end to the "quick whistle" problem. But it would at least put an end to the "I didn't hear a whistle" vs "But well I thought it was incomplete" debate.

(I also wouldn't mind if the electronic whistle had a second button, which blows the whistle and stops the clock.)

I missed it.

What happened?

I assume you're asking about the play everybody's complaining about.

Denver down 38-31, driving. 2nd and Goal on the 1. 1:17 left.

Cutler goes back to pass. Draws back his arm to throw, and the ball comes out. In incoming SD lineman grabs the fallen ball. Officials stop the play. Incomplete pass.

Play is reviewed. (By the booth. Final 2 minutes.) Replay clearly shows the ball came loose while it was being pulled back. Clearly a fumble.

But, the officials rule, the whistle blew before SD grabbed the ball. They move the ball back to the 10 yard line (the spot of the fumble), but don't give it to SD. (In effect, the ball was fumbled, but nobody recovered it.)

2nd and Goal on the 10.

Two plays later, Denver scores TD, goes for 2, makes it, wins game.

That could be one of the absolute worst calls and biggest blown calls ive ever seen in the history of football.

And whoever made up that rule should be shot. Thats you Mike Pieriora.

If I was the Chargers, I would be beyond livid right now. That play was an obvious fumble, not only from the fact that it came out of his hand before he threw it, but it WENT BACKWARD thus meaning it could not possibly be a FORWARD pass.

man...what has happened to the chargers? it wasn't that long ago that they could compete with anyone in the league...their window of opportunity is closing fast....

Norv Turner.

This isn't rocket science...look at what he did to us.

Take that SD...

I assume you're asking about the play everybody's complaining about.

Denver down 38-31, driving. 2nd and Goal on the 1. 1:17 left.

Cutler goes back to pass. Draws back his arm to throw, and the ball comes out. In incoming SD lineman grabs the fallen ball. Officials stop the play. Incomplete pass.

Play is reviewed. (By the booth. Final 2 minutes.) Replay clearly shows the ball came loose while it was being pulled back. Clearly a fumble.

But, the officials rule, the whistle blew before SD grabbed the ball. They move the ball back to the 10 yard line (the spot of the fumble), but don't give it to SD. (In effect, the ball was fumbled, but nobody recovered it.)

2nd and Goal on the 10.

Two plays later, Denver scores TD, goes for 2, makes it, wins game.

Does anyone really wonder why this went against Norv?

It's his friggin' destiny.

Ya know. It wasn't that Norv was a bad coach at times, it's just that he has, and still has, some very bad luck.

You know, I agree with you to a point. But when bad luck seems to follow somebody constantly, the pattern is disturbing. What was unbearable to watch as a 'Skins fan during the Norv years is that Mr. Murphy and his law were always present: If it can happen, it did. And at some point, good coaches just don't let their teams get into those situation.

Archived